RLM02 by Vallejo - correct shade?

BallsBuster

I have always used Xtracolour and Xtracrillics before, but for the current project decided to try Vallejo.... well it turned out rather different from what I expected... much darker and greener (closer to US interior green), than the Xtra paints.

Does anyone now how big the shade variations were with RLM02? Which producer is closer to reality Xtra (hannant) or Vallejo?

• Like 1

Was that the ModelAir or ModelColor? I've not used the Model Air but Model Colour 70886 Grau Grun is a very good match for RLM02, one of the few RLM shades where pretty much all of the various RLM colour charts are in agreement.

Steve.

• Like 1

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/12/colour-of-rlm-02-grau-grey.html

and

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/03/notice-of-update_10.html

Although I didn't measure it the Xtracolor seems a reasonable representation on the greyish side but going by the painted chip in their fan deck the Vallejo Model Color 886 also looks ok. The Vallejo Model Air 71.044 looks a little too greenish.

As with the Japanese Zero colour it is the amber or brownish undertone that seems to get missed.

Nick

PS I have to admit I'm getting chary about posting such measured paint colour data here as there seems to be a general preference for the "evidence" of colour photos and anything I do post is pretty much disregarded when the same colour debates come up over and over and over and over again.

• Like 8

Please keep plugging away Nick. There's always new people coming into whom the whole subject is a mystery and hence likely to succumb to a more superficial approach. Repetition is inevitable in such circumstances and is not restricted to colour discussions. Throw in the rapid turnover and weak search routines on internet forums where even the best information is rapidly lost and indeed of repetition. Four or five years is a lifetime. Not least because of the vagaries of human memory (mea culpa, I know). Quite how much of your time can be devoted to such things is another matter, but your input would be missed.

one of those coincidence - I was just thinking about searching for good data on 02 when I sat down to this session. So your input has worked for me this morning

• Like 5

Nick,

Thank you very much for the input. Wouldn't occur to search for it at the Japanese Aviation blog.

I am using Model Air paint and it is clearly warmer with more yellowish green tint to it (compared to Extracolor paints which are very "cold" and light). Provided my screen is more or less well adjusted, it is clearly closer to Lifecolor version.

Having read your article it now looks to me as a fair representation...

Nick, your knowledge and input is very much appreciated. As Graham says above I think the colour debates (and all the other regular questions) quite often rise again more due to new membership or people not using the search function before asking (which I must admit to doing more often than not) than anyone ignoring your input.

Duncan B

Or they could do a search and find topics that address their specific question.

Does so and so paint match RLM XX?

Here is a link to this very question:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70597-rlm-luftwaffe-comparison-chart/?hl=%2Bpaint+%2Bcomparison+%2Bchart

I am sure people will find numerous issues with it. But it helps me to find which manufacturer of hobby paint matches what I think is reasonably close to fresh RLM paint colours.

Latest version is found here as comparison charts 1 and 2:

http://www.petersplanes.com/links.htm

To me Model color is closer to 02 than Model Air when brush painted.

Edited by pbhawkin
  • Like 2

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/12/colour-of-rlm-02-grau-grey.html

and

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/03/notice-of-update_10.html

Although I didn't measure it the Xtracolor seems a reasonable representation on the greyish side but going by the painted chip in their fan deck the Vallejo Model Color 886 also looks ok. The Vallejo Model Air 71.044 looks a little too greenish.

As with the Japanese Zero colour it is the amber or brownish undertone that seems to get missed.

Nick

PS I have to admit I'm getting chary about posting such measured paint colour data here as there seems to be a general preference for the "evidence" of colour photos and anything I do post is pretty much disregarded when the same colour debates come up over and over and over and over again.

Well, I for one enjoy reading your deliberations on colour and would like to learn a lot more about the subject, please?

Christian, exiled to africa but who wants to learn...!

Nick Thank You once again for your references.

As noted by others; new people having those same questions as well as some of us not-so -new people needing a refresher as well.

p.s. aren't you glad they didn't ask about "Sky" ? 45aa3e4e.gif

vgg1.jpg

obv6.jpg

These charts have the RLM chip colour carried across as a background colour behind each paint mark. It may make it eaasier to compare the paint to the chip colour. You decide.

Edited by pbhawkin

Humbrol do have 204 and did have an Authentic - which was good in the original packages set and awful in the latter general issue. I don't think 31 should be regarded as a serious attempt at 02. I still have a Gloy, whose paints were based on Ian Huntley's work, which is somewhat lighter than the WEM shown, or the new Humbrol 204.

Actually Hu240 Graham. :) I've recently used one on a BoB group build bf109 & although it took three brushed coats to get decent coverage, the colour was good, an almost exact match for Vallejo 886 as mentioned above that I used for interior detailing, wheelwells etc. Allowances made for iffy photography please. :(

DSCF2610.jpg

This was done for ATF & was the new tool Airfix Bf109E with the latest old tool decals.

Steve.

• Like 1