Typhoon SSBN

Is this the Hobby Boss kit?

I like the stand in particular. It gives it all a "movie" like theme to it. :)

Edit: Oh, hold on. I see now that the scale is 1:700. Only kit I saw in my local hobby store was in 1:350 (heh, too big for my display cabinet).

I used to think that the windows on Russian submarines looked weird, but now I think it is charming.

Edited by Housesparrow

Is this the Hobby Boss kit?

I like the stand in particular. It gives it all a "movie" like theme to it. :)

Edit: Oh, hold on. I see now that the scale is 1:700. Only kit I saw in my local hobby store was in 1:350 (heh, too big for my display cabinet).

I used to think that the windows on Russian submarines looked weird, but now I think it is charming.

The windows are for the 'surface bridge'. In Russian subs they have 2 levels at the top of the conning tower for when the boat is surfaced. They have the open top like any other sub and an enclosed bridge with windows below that, for when the weather is bad.

Nice Model - looks enough like a Typhoon to fool most people!

thanks

Mike

Thanks guys

philtn - I first sprayed the model black, then masked the upper part and basically kind of preshaded the lower hull. Upper hull was weathered using dry pastels of various shades of grey, grounded to powder and applied in streaks to the hull. Also some brown pigment was applied on several spots to break the monotony.

Great model InFlames - excellent paint finish.

Thanks for the YouTube link Jessica - duly downloaded and watched (its an hour long).

Some fascinating insights into life aboard the Severstal (Northern Steel).

I thought that the Severstal was the only Typhoon still in service - as a test bed - the commentator said of the six Typhoons built, one was decomissioned, with five still in service?

My understanding is that the opposite is true - five decomissioned, just the one 'sponsored' by steel firm of Severstal refurbished and operational as a trials platform for the new Borei class of SSBN's

Some things noted..........

Whoever painted the white waterline markings needs to get them straighter - they were all over the place!!

I shan't bother trying to get mine so straight in future.....

They also need some decal softener on the Severstal logo on the front of the bridge - also interesting to see the enclosed bridge, with windows.

The retractable bollards were interesting - and the missing anechoic tiles.

The general shabbiness of the accomodation is typically Soviet - grim but functional.

I wish they had translated what the wife of Exec Andrei Bogdanov was saying at his homecoming - she was giving him a right mouthful - and was upset at the presence of the film crew!!!

I vaguely recall seeing images of a swimming pool inside the Typhoon class submarine.

Watch the video Housesparrow.

I recall talking to a British submariner - who told us some fascinating tales of tracking Soviet subs coming out of their bases - he said the Typhoons were the most difficult to track - once they went deep, the RN subs lost them.

Ken

PS - Here's my Hobby Boss 1/350th Akula.......

350_Typhoon_20.jpg

350_Typhoon_22.jpg

Edited by Flankerman

At the time the documentary was made, TK20 was the only active boat. One had been scrapped and the others were in storage. Since then two more have been scrapped. Wikipedia says that TK 208 is the test boat sill in service, and TK 17 and 20 are currently in storage, but scheduled to be scrapped. It's not clear exactly when the last update of that article was done though; they may be under the torch right now.

If you can get past all the recapitis and massive overuse of stock footage, this is a good programme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAVFMDoaUd0