RAF Tornado GR.4 31 Sqn Goldstars 2015

You might be sick of looking at this, but we aren't, stunning. I've got a 1/72 one in the stash, makes me want to dig it out and have a go now!

Love the extra detail you've crammed in to it, a great example. I've not followed your build thread, so need to have a gander over :)

• Like 1

Thank you very very much for the appreciation. It's good to see things through the eyes of others after you've been staring at it for months! :hypnotised:

You might be sick of looking at this, but we aren't, stunning. I've got a 1/72 one in the stash, makes me want to dig it out and have a go now!

Love the extra detail you've crammed in to it, a great example. I've not followed your build thread, so need to have a gander over :)

Thanks woody, crammed is the right word!

B) looks great! I´ll build this (after the Hawk) in italian markings and will be happy my one turns like yours!

Oliver.

Looking forward to seeing that Hawk after your very nice Typhoon :thumbsup2:

Thanks to everyone who commented so far, really appreciate it :) (especially from some of the 1/32 gurus!)

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Must have missed this getting posted up. Looks fantastic Al, well worth every bit of effort you put into it. Hope mine looks as good as this when I get round to it. I'd imagine you'll be needing to restock on grey paint now!

Muzz

• Like 1

I missed this RFI somehow - beautiful work Alan. I know I've said it before, but you've achieved one of the most realistic finishes I've seen on any model.

Lovely looking Tonka.... One of my favourites.

That is a proper beast, didn't realise it was that big!

Cracking build, really like it.

Must have missed this getting posted up. Looks fantastic Al, well worth every bit of effort you put into it. Hope mine looks as good as this when I get round to it. I'd imagine you'll be needing to restock on grey paint now!

Muzz

Thanks very much guys :)

Hi Alan,

i have a question. My Hawk is nearly finished and i will start a new project :winkgrin:

This is my choice

Revell-04924_zpsf1ji8gme.jpg

Now this is a GR.4 Tornado, and in my stash i have found a BIG Ed Eduard Tornado Set including this one

49686_1_zps6xuuchjh.gif

Can i use this for my cockpit or should i use the Revell Decals? (they are not so nice, the Eduards are much better)

But i know this ones are IDS.......

Thanks, Oliver

• Like 1

Hi Oliver,

The front panel (parts 1&2) is close enough, apart from the central display and the upper left screen - in the GR4 they are a square MFD and square LCD screen respectively. The HUD control panel (part 12) is also different.

You could use the rear lower panel (parts 15&16), but the upper displays (parts 19&20) and TV boxes (part 3) are different on the GR4.

The side consoles (parts 22-26) are close enough as they are not very visible. Parts 5-8, 11, 17&18 all look useable.

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Thanks alot for your help!

First i would like to build an italian with my IDS Revell Box but now "Santa" gives me a little present with this RAF Aircraft............ now i switch after i look on your bird!

For the interior -> my choise, maybe a combination of Eduard, Decals and painting......

PS - i would be glad if my Tornado looks like your when its finished, a msterpice of work you made!

• Like 1

Wow! I usually lose focus building jets - I love seeing them at airshows but somehow lose my mojo whenever I build something that doesnt have big fans on the front.

HOWEVER.

'Wow!' was my response when I opened this thread. Think I need to do a little shopping!

• Like 1

Can I ask how you got on with the Flightpath flaps n slats? I've got a 32nd scale GR.1 which I also intend to build as a GR.4 and have a fair few bells n whistles to go with it including the flap/slat PE. I'm amazed at the lack of RAF decals for this kit, I cannot find anything to go with it at all, there was an Xtradecal sheet with a couple of special schemes but even this is like hens teeth these days.

Kind Regards,

Eng

Sorry for not replying to this before, I must have skipped over it Grae :blush:

First thanks for the excellent comments, very much appreciated!

The flaps and slats were the hardest part of the build. If I was doing it again, I'd make the wings detachable and do them completely separately from the rest of the airframe. I thought it would be best to leave them till last so I didn't damage the fragile parts handling the rest of the model, but in retrospect they need a lot of handling and setting to get right, and it was very difficult to do that with the wings attached to the aircraft, especially fitting the screw actuators.

I'd recommend soldering the flap parts together for strength. I didn't try soldering them to the metal parts of the wing in case I melted the plastic.

One last piece of advice... If you're using this set, even though it's unlikely when the aircraft is parked, use the raised spoilers in the set. It provides a much cleaner surface for fitting all the flap tracks and other parts, and saves you having to scratchbuild fairings for the flap tracks.

They look fantastic once finished, but I'm going to give myself a nice long break before trying those again!

All the best mate,

Al

Hi Al,

Many thanks for the tips on the flaps I'll be investing in a half decent soldering iron I think! I'm sure another of the BM massif had used the Flightpath flaps and had also recommended soldering, so I'm fully decided on that I think. Will certainly investigate a removable wing option too when the time comes.

Think I'll warm up with a go at Revells 48th offering in the New Year before tackling the big beast.

Thanks again Al,

Rgds,

G

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again mate! :)

Gives me an opportunity to bump this due to new pics added - see first post for update!

Thanks again to all who have commented, very happy to read your generous opinions :wub:

Al

• 1 month later...

Only just found this build again after being away working on this actual jet in warmer cilmates before christmas and since back here in the UK. Have to say looks just like the real thing tbh, abit less weathered in areas but none the less looks spot on, need to build myself this jet if i ever get round to starting modeling again. Again it is just spot on and amazing

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Alan that is very very loverly mate, you really know 'ow to tug at me 'eart strings......well it's really easy all ya gotta do is post a pic of any 31 "Goldstar" Sqdn bird and i'm floored :yahoo::yahoo::thumbsup::D , but inert bombs c'mon mate those "Goldstar" kids are ready for action 24/7/365 Rule Britannia :clif:

• Like 1