Airfix Harrier GR3 XV778 1:48 In the snow

Well the last few years I have not posted much in here.

This is my Airfix Harrier GR3 I made OOB for Precision Ice and Snow at Telford 2014 sadly it got damaged at the end of the show so I removed the snow and repaired her as you see here. Mo thought I'd take some pics before I re apply the snow.

She was made over a week and a bit in a rush for the show.

Considering it's an old kit it's still a great build and brought back happy memories of making one as a kid in the 90s this was the new boxing with excellent decals which makes a big difference to the finished article. Pito is a sewing needle. Cheers Rob :)

D2650A1F-E34B-4623-9D3D-489D465D2D5E_zps

0D633F6D-6341-4B9A-B213-6ED602A3977E_zps

F76ED1F3-4A5A-4A2C-85DF-BCC6254D8364_zps

CEED4393-C687-4187-B8E5-028D805099B9_zps

F51BFC9B-355C-4B42-B95B-577850310137_zps

She was brush painted with Revell Aqual Gelboliv mixed with some decoart purple to give a nice rich brown cast green and then blue tak masked and painted with Humbrol rattle can dark sea grey. The slipper tanks are painted Hu163. Nail art jewel is used for the light and varnished with Humbrol spray satin.

This is her before the accident !

B9DBA9A4-3E92-4009-8E9B-4E3CA4D2D96A_zps

C479C195-E14E-4910-AED6-DF95D8D0E809_zps

A54BA283-0DFB-4C8B-B491-234384A64F5C_zps

D9E21940-7C4E-406C-ACF5-AC44585C25C3_zps

F3BC020A-B502-4513-9178-C4E55565A59A_zps

E6278918-C7C0-4A44-BA42-C931875205B5_zps

From what I read Harrier GR3's where not shy of the odd accident in reality seeming to be attracted to ditches in Germany !

Cheers folks Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 11

I remember seeing this at Telford last year and it's a pity that it got damaged. You have made a great save though, are you going to re-cover it with the snow?

Hi mate. Nice you remember it. I am thinking of possibly re applying the snow at some point. But if I do I'll be tempted to make more of a permanent dio out of it with a camo net over the top with some trees and details around the Harrier.

I need to find some photos first. At the moment It lives on a shelf with some others my Dad enjoys looking at them.

Cheers Rob :)

That snow looks flipping awesome!

It is great stuff very easy to use versatile and super realistic. The people who run it are friends of mine and asked me to review it for them and made a few dioramas and models for them. At first I was very sceptical about any snow modelling thinking it was not easy to do convincingly but with their stuff its really like dusting a cake.

:)

Hi Rob,

Lovely Harrier in her different "coats". I especially like the Winter one as it was "a blast from the past" for me, seeing them on our flight line at RAF Wildenrath during the early 70's with the line crews clutching brushes, shovels and de-icing trolleys brrrr. Where can you get the Precision Ice and Snow stuff from as I fancy doing a small diorama depicting RAF Wittering?

Best wishes

albamac :goodjob::goodjob:

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Lovely Harrier in her different "coats". I especially like the Winter one as it was "a blast from the past" for me, seeing them on our flight line at RAF Wildenrath during the early 70's with the line crews clutching brushes, shovels and de-icing trolleys brrrr. Where can you get the Precision Ice and Snow stuff from as I fancy doing a small diorama depicting RAF Wittering?

Best wishes

albamac :goodjob::goodjob:

Hi mate glad you like it. You can buy it direct from them and they do ice sheets now. There are plenty of inspirational Videos Steve has done now to show how its done. You can mix it with resin and glues , Latex etc to make imprint-able snow and ice etc etc.

I also Believe Uschi Van Der Rosten started selling it recently.

Good to see this one repaired Rob, really looks the part, like the use of the gelbolive and purple tinge. I still haven't got around to trying out the P I &S pack you gave me a while back yet but definitely will do next year, have a few cool dios in mind, (see what I did there)....... the old 'leapin-heap' did have a strange affinity for fences in Germany for some reason !

• Like 1

Cheers Andy Revell Gelboliv is already a great match for RAF Dark Green but adding some Putple or Red can give it that nice Browned look the Cold War era stuff had.

John nice to hear from you my Dad ain't great to be honest but he's fighting still ok but not in a good way really. Still loves his models though and im making him more. I might put the snow back on in the future but want to make a dio for it first :)