Airfix ready for battle set-vehicle build

stevej60

Evening folk's time for my Autumn project,I got the set a few months back with the intention of adding it to a suitable base.I

loved building the smaller scale Tilly and Bedford but this larger scale set really takes us to another level.The Aircraft is the new

tool Hurricane which seems to have pleased most modeller's myself included,but it;s in the molding and detail of the Bedford

and Albion re-fueler that really impresses,and not forgetting the beautiful figures(more later).Now you folk's can help my out

with some info,Greg's KUTA Mosquito build has reminded and inspired me to maybe use a Tamiya kit I have had sitting

un-started for over eight years in the wardrobe instead of the Hurricane so would the Albion have still been around as late

as 1943/44 as the kit is a blue PR variant?

Anyway first things first the Bedford,sadly the windscreen/cab molding was snapped

and warped as I wanted to build the enclosed cab thankfully there is a compromise in the three options.

DSCN0208%20640x480_zpstc3rgbym.jpg

So here#s an hour's work done tonight.

DSCN0194%20640x480_zpsgyihemry.jpg

One piece chassis

DSCN0202%20640x480_zpshiigwi9p.jpg

springs'steering rack etc.

DSCN0204%20640x480_zps5f3vd4eg.jpg

Engine,cab floor etc.

DSCN0201%20640x480_zpskgakl6nd.jpg

And a lovely touch by Airfix is a curved locating hole so the wheel's can be posed turned,great touch.

That's it for now thanks for looking in.

• Like 7

Thank's folk's I have got an hour in tonight so will post some pics when I get the light,I,ve trawled the net for photo,s but can't find definite proof

these vehicles lasted till the war,s end so another Aircraft will be sourced for the dio something early in the war and looking on King kit Tamiya's

Black schemed Beaufighter is making all the right noises! ^_^

• Like 1

Excellent work Steve, i'll be following along closely. I'm slowly working my way through this set (which reminds me i need to get my wip thread moved to the kuta section). The Bedford goes together really well, i'm building the Albion at the moment and apart from the fit of the front wheels being a bit vague its building up quite nicely.

Looking forward to seeing yours all come together, and a Beaufighter will look ace!

Nick

• Like 1

Morning all,just a quick update as I got an unexpected hour in at the bench today.the Bedford is built as far as I can go before I need to lay some

paint on.

DSCN0217%20640x480_zps1o0pgaqy.jpg

DSCN0215%20640x480_zpsqk0wxz6b.jpg

And while various bit,s and pieces dry the Albion has had a bit of work started on her.

DSCN0213%20640x480_zps8wfisu48.jpg

Sadly the front cab bulkhead has snapped on the sprue around the windscreen but I can repair it strange though as the same thing affected the

Bedford.Thanks for popping in.

• Like 5

Very nice progress Steve. Looking forward to seeing it with some paint on. And yes it is odd about both kits having problems in the windscreen area.

Annoying too Stix as the set is outstanding on all other count,s.I am planning a 12" squared base quite simple using Railway scenic grass and part

tarmac but still undecided about the aircraft I love the idea of the Beaufighter in all black scheme as I've never built the Tamiya kit before but the kit,s

Hurricane has the open panel,s that would suit the figure poses and another Hurricane is never a bad thing and might fit the planned base better.

• Like 1

Annoying too Stix as the set is outstanding on all other count,s.I am planning a 12" squared base quite simple using Railway scenic grass and part

tarmac but still undecided about the aircraft I love the idea of the Beaufighter in all black scheme as I've never built the Tamiya kit before but the kit,s

Hurricane has the open panel,s that would suit the figure poses and another Hurricane is never a bad thing and might fit the planned base better.

Hi Steve. Sounds like it should be a great little scene. The figures, I think, are actually designed with the Hurricane in mind. Both the pilot and the two figures with the ammo belts don't really fit well on the Spitfire I built recently. Don't know how well they'd go with the Beaufighter though.

• Like 2

I've found that too Stix, i wanted to put the pilot figure on a Spitfire i've built but he doesn't quite look right. Shame really as i don't want to use him in my Ready for Battle dio as the guncovers will be off and refuelling in progress. I doubt a pilot would be rushing to climb in?? Oh well, will give me an excuse to build another Hurricane :)

Nick

• Like 3

I've found that too Stix, i wanted to put the pilot figure on a Spitfire i've built but he doesn't quite look right. Shame really as i don't want to use him in my Ready for Battle dio as the guncovers will be off and refuelling in progress. I doubt a pilot would be rushing to climb in?? Oh well, will give me an excuse to build another Hurricane :)

Nick

Nick that,s my issue too hence the dropped tailgate on the Bedford I,m thinking of having him climbing in off for a cuppa in the mess!

Not a lot of time for model's at the moment but yesterday got the Albion to the" ready for some paint stage",there seems to be a definite weld

line along the side of the tank on the real thing but I plan to fill the kit's a little before priming.

DSCN0232%20640x480_zpshiocguaq.jpg

DSCN0233%20640x480_zpsyxus41jl.jpg

• Like 3

Morning folk's just a quick update of the last couple of days work,I,ve moved the Bedford on in terms of painting with the main paintwork complete

just some weathering up to do now.The Albion has had a primer coat applied.Thanks for looking in.

DSCN0257%20640x480_zpsqnyhmbjt.jpg

DSCN0259%20640x480_zpsk86wsqm7.jpg

• Like 8

Morning all,just a quick update on this project as far as the Albion is progressing.The base colour has been applied and I,ve started the building

of the cab.The fit of parts are what we've come to expect from Airfix these days so no complaint here.I,ve put the Bedford away for now as I plan

to weather both vehicles together,thank's for popping in.

DSCN0285%20640x480_zpsqasuhdh6.jpg

DSCN0286%20640x480_zpsyesc1n7o.jpg

• Like 7

Hey Steve, things are progressing nicely. I noticed the circular pattern camouflage paint scheme. As far as the real vehicles are concerned, was that supposed to be a hard edge between the colors ( applied with a brush in the field ) or was it sprayed on either with a hard edge ( masked off ) or possibly a soft edge ( free hand ) ? I'm trying to improve my knowledge base since I normally do aircraft. Thanks for any info that you can offer. Bob H.