Airfix 2016 announcement put back to Monday 16th Nov.

Rob P

Posted on their Facebook page.

"Hi everyone, We wanted to let you know that to allow us to launch our Airfix 2016 range simultaneously in all of our international markets, it has been decided to slightly delay the UK launch until 10.00am on Monday 16th November."

Slightly disappointing since folk at SMW that got hold of the yearbook and are "in the know".

Quiet day tomorrow and was looking forwards to the news. Whereas from Monday onwards I'll be up to my backside in work!

Anyone care to spill? Even by PM?

Surely the modellers who purchased the yearbook at SMW were not sworn to secrecy at the point of sale.

Besides the Sea King SAR.3 (? Apologies if I've got this wrong - you know the yellow one) and a Blenheim 1f, I doubt they'd be any really new tool announcements on Monday.

I'd be happy to eat my hat if there was, however surely a new Halifax, Hampden or even Vulcan would have been hinted at by someone by now!! We are (after all) all grown up kids aren't we not?

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 5

Me, I was disappointed at shelling out £7 for the yearbook only to discover that as far as I can see it doesn't have anything in it that we didn't know about, and a disclaimer in the text saying that Airfix may have kept a few things up their sleeves... So I think there may still be something worth hearing on Monday. If there'd been any real new news in the yearbook, I'm sure one of the many purchasers would have spilled the beans online before now!

bestest,

M.

The calendar shows the Commando not the SAR, for what that's worth. The rest are 2015 releases. I knew I'd missed something at SMW, but I'm not surprised that the yearbook doesn't contain a full list of 2016 releases. We've had a fair list of announcements already: couple that with the re-issue of variants such as the He111H-6 and ASV Whitley. How much more can we reasonably expect? We could have a good year just with un-released variants on top of the new toolings we know about. The AEW Shackleton? Spitfire Mk.Va? Strikemaster? Pick your own.

I wouldn't get your hopes up as i don't expect any further new releases, there are a couple of re-issues with new decals and some dogfight double/theme sets. No armour bar the US bomber sets, no ships, no cars and no easy kits in the yearbook.

I suspect the have kept some things back as hinted at but i expect those to be either Club Specials, or jucy bits to be announced in the workbench blog and maybe a surprise for the Toy trade fairs early next year to attract interest.

Don't forget we will get bits of the development of the announced kits in future Workbench blogs to chart progress and expect some of the 2017 range start to be annouced as the 2016 tems were this year too

:ninja:

Okay, chaps, I have a copy of the yearbook, and the hot poop is a 1/48 Supermarine S.6B. In 1/72 there are new kits of the Avro Rota I, the Miles Magister (also as a starter kit) and, most interestingly, the Thor IRBM on its launch pad with figures and vehicles. As the other element of the RAF's nuclear deterrence it is most appropriate.

Apart from that the only other new mould is a Centurion Mk3 in 1/72.

• Like 6

Okay, chaps, I have a copy of the yearbook, and the hot poop is a 1/48 Supermarine S.6B. In 1/72 there are new kits of the Avro Rota I, the Miles Magister (also as a starter kit) and, most interestingly, the Thor IRBM on its launch pad with figures and vehicles. As the other element of the RAF's nuclear deterrence it is most appropriate.

Damn! I so wanted the S.6B to be in 1/24th!

• Like 3

Kits that appear to only have been announced in the yearbook as yet include:

1/72 Sea King HAR.3 (based on the new HC.4 kit)

1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I trop (this could have been predicted based on the extra parts in the standard Mk.I release)

1/72 Bristol Blenheim Mk.IF (I believe they've included the gun pack from the Mk.IVF kit)

1/72 Pearl Harbor 75th Anniversary Set (P-40B, A6M2, and B5N2)

1/72 Malta Dogfight Double (Ju 87B-1 and Gladiator)

1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Va (based on the Mk.I/II kit, this could have been predicted by the unused round intake oil cooler that was included)

1/72 Somme Centenary Set (Fokker E.II & BE2c plus 1/76 WWI French and British Infantry)

1/350 HMS Illustrious (Reissue)

1/48 E.E. Canberra B.2/20 (Reissue with new decals)

There are no pre-Hornby legacy kits being re-released other than the WWI figures in the Somme anniversary set and a slew of the older kits are being deleted from the catalogue but I haven't taken the time to compile the full list. If I were to try to divine Airfix's strategy from the catalogue changes I would say that they are trying to get to a point where all the tooling is post-Hornby takeover, with a few exceptions (e.g. 1/48 Spit 22/Seafire 47; 1/48 Lightnings). Then they can do limited releases of the legacy tooling, either through KitStarter, which is off to a slow start, or something akin to Revell's SSP program.

• Like 3

Rob P, on 11 Nov 2015 - 1:21 PM, said:

Posted on their Facebook page.

"Hi everyone, We wanted to let you know that to allow us to launch our Airfix 2016 range simultaneously in all of our international markets, it has been decided to slightly delay the UK launch until 10.00am on Monday 16th November."

Huh? It takes 4 days for the Internet to reach Australia?

:bleh:

• Like 8

OK Chaps... I just need to pick which one of my hat's I wanna eat!!

Well then - a THOR plus extra's, now that has certainly stirred the pot as I've been after this for a long long time.

The Magister also adds to Airfix's yearly contribution to RAF Trainer aircraft, so more ticks for Airfix from me.

Roll on Monday... a good year just got even more gooder!!

Cheers .. Dave.

Edit.... does that mean that the Gladiator in the Malta Dogfight Double will be a Sea Gladiator as well??

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Okay, chaps, I have a copy of the yearbook [...] In 1/72 there are new kits of the Avro Rota I, the Miles Magister (also as a starter kit) [...]

An Avro Rota I. Really? That's pretty esoteric.

My Frog Magister needs to be built PDQ.

A yearbook? What's the catch, I mean do they actually expect customers to pay for a sales catalogue or is there something more in it?

It is actually very good, being a compilation of all the 'Airfix' wish lists and discussion posts on Britmodeller since Nov 2014.

Peter

• Like 1

Good morning

I am still waiting for a Metal winged Hurricane Mk 1 in 1/72 and I think I am not the only one in that case ,as far as I know it just needs to add a new wing to the Hurricane released last year ..

Patrice

• Like 3

and, most interestingly, the Thor IRBM on its launch pad with figures and vehicles.

Interesting. Any idea of scale? Glencoe recently announced that they are releasing their Thor plus support crew in 1:87.

I had to Google Avro Rota to find out what that was!! :lol: . As a modelling subject neither it nor the Magister would do anything for me personally but, I would commend Airfix for the imaginative choice. Certainly, a Thor IRBM is very appealing as is the S.6B.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Kits that appear to only have been announced in the yearbook as yet include:

1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Va (based on the Mk.I/II kit, this could have been predicted by the unused round intake oil cooler that was included)

So, an Mk.Va as long expected. But what about the markings/decals? Could we att last se a new Spitfire with markings for Douglas Bader?

// André B.

Edited by Andre B