Meng 1/35 King Tiger

Stephen

• 11 months later...

eModels has some additional info on their site regarding the model and the two detail kits (interior and suspension) on their site (link provided for info purposes).

Really interested to see how the Meng stacks up against the recently released Takom model of this steel beast - mainly as I'm collecting Henschel and Porsche turret versions of the Takom at the Telford show.

eModels Meng King Tiger

According to the eModels ad there will be an interior but it will be sold separately, as will the workable tracks.  Not a bad idea if anyone doesn't want to go the whole hog with an interior build.  This will definitely be one to watch out for.

• 2 months later...

Received mine yesterday from a friend in Hong Kong . The plastic is an Oxid Rot colour and takes some getting used too

but some of the finest mouldings I have seen there's even a really nice subtle rolled steel texture over most of the armour plates and some of the best welds I have seen in 1/35 . The fenders are commendably thin too , I just don't like the nickel steel etch that this has for the screens but that's personal preference .

All in a stunner .

Edited by sonofjim

2 minutes ago, sonofjim said:

Received mine yesterday from a friend in Hong Kong . The plastic is an in Oxid Rot colour and takes some getting used too

but some of the finest mouldings I have seen there's even a really nice subtle rolled steel texture over most of the armour plates and some of the best welds I have seen in 1/35 .

I have mine on pre-order from emodels and can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it based upon that!

48 minutes ago, Tim T said:

I have mine on pre-order from emodels and can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it based upon that!

I'm sure you'll be very happy , The King tiger hasn't been that interesting a subject for me , I have the Trumpeter 1/16 but in 1/35 its been done  to death

This kit has re-ignited that interest ! it has a lot of neat features including separate turret roof ideal for the interior if you choose to go that root , a few pin marks but on areas that will be easy to fill

are the only real draw back I can see .

44 minutes ago, Finn said:

Here are the instructions and sprue pics:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10425979

Jari

Well I'm not sure there's much point in uploading the millions of photos I just took now .

. Vor the plastic colour is an odd choice but its not that distracting really (for me at least).

I'll post some photos of the nice little details in a moment (Photobucket permitting)

7 minutes ago, sonofjim said:

Well I'm not sure there's much point in uploading the millions of photos I just took now .

. Vor the plastic colour is an odd choice but its not that distracting really (for me at least).

I'll post some photos of the nice little details in a moment (Photobucket permitting)

Post your pics, the link i provided just shows the sprues, still in the bags from a distance, no close up details that you could provide. 

Jari

A couple of shots of the plastic , as mentioned before the colour is unusual but not that gaudy as to be distracting .

Just look at those welds , proper cut n fill welds instead of generic "C" shapes .

all exterior armour plates feature this very nice rolled steel effect ,so no need for the trusty motor tool and surfacer .

there' also "inner plates" to make scale thickness and all interior surfaces feature detail, ready for the interior detail set .

The cupola is welded to the turret roof , IIRC that's an early feature ? I'll have to consult the tiger book .

Though the research and technical assistance were provided by the best .

New%20Image%203.jpgNew%20Image%202.jpgNew%20Image%204.jpgNew%20Image%205.jpgNew%20Image%206.jpgNew%20Image%209.jpgNew%20Image%2010.jpg

The instructions are up to meng's usual standard but no full colour front cover this time

some interesting colour schemes featured .

New%20Image%208.jpgNew%20Image%207.jpg

Edited by sonofjim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim T said:

Under a coat of primer that detail will look amazing.

Won't it just Mr T . I'm itching to get going on it but I'll wait for the tracks/ suspension and interior and maybe a bit of etch from somewhere (the etch junkie that  I am) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived in the post this morning.  I have no complaints with the kit at all, but the instructions are pretty terrible.  The drawings seems to be softly rendered and all the other Meng kits I have include colour painting and decalling pages.  These are in black and white and are far from clear.  Also, two of the schemes seem to show Zimmerit on the painting guide but this is not mentioned anywhere that I can see. Maybe I am being picky but it does seem a retrograde step for Meng. 

7 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Mine arrived in the post this morning.  I have no complaints with the kit at all, but the instructions are pretty terrible.  The drawings seems to be softly rendered and all the other Meng kits I have include colour painting and decalling pages.  These are in black and white and are far from clear...Maybe I am being picky but it does seem a retrograde step for Meng. 

I totally agree Tim . The instructions are most definitely the weakest part , and just not a "Meng style" product I think they put a ton of effort into the styrene but almost overlooked the instructions . That and the odd choice of colour for the styrene !:tmi:

• Like 1