Fairplay I

I saw this on the Revell stand at Telford and couldn't resist it.......

05213-Fairplay-X_zpskzin7dbg.jpg

box_zpsdyzinvob.jpg

A so called friend has already called it a soap dish :fight:

P1010289%20Copy_zpsbsvapdom.jpg

Need to finish the PBR but I had to put together the hull. Great fit I hope its an indicator of the rest of the kit.

P1010291%20Copy_zpsmlmjfvfj.jpg

P1010295%20Copy_zpsgvsghn93.jpg

P1010296%20Copy_zpstyukrqhh.jpg

Gotta love that ugly duckling shape..........

Kev

Kit review here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967912-harbour-tug-boat-fairplay-1144-revell/?hl=%2Brevell+%2Bfairplay

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 8

very nice start Kev love these little Revell kits

but I was tempted by the slightly bigger German SAR ship next to it in the display case don,t know what I was think of when I got it home and looked in the box :banghead::banghead:

looking forward to seeing this one done will be able to pick up some tips I hope :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

• Like 1

very nice start Kev love these little Revell kits

but I was tempted by the slightly bigger German SAR ship next to it in the display case don,t know what I was think of when I got it home and looked in the box :banghead::banghead:

looking forward to seeing this one done will be able to pick up some tips I hope :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

If you mean the "Hermann Marwede" I have that monster sitting in the stash too. If you really want to go mad get the PE set for it, (I think it's Eduards but not 100% on that).

• Like 1

I looked at that and thought I've got enough large projects lined up. :banghead:

I'll do the daughter boat Verena if it will help :winkgrin:

Kev

Now there is a good thought we could All do a group built for Revell civilian ships one to think about for the future :banghead::banghead:

Beefy

• Like 1

" Now there is a good thought we could All do a group built for Revell civilian ships one to think about for the future " :banghead::banghead:

You started it all with your Harbour Tug...............

Its surprising just how many ships Revell do but I think a fleet of Pirate ships would be appropriate for the bunch on here :winkgrin:

Kev

• Like 3

Found time today to play with the 'Soap Dish'

Tis a little sweetie

P1010344%20Copy_zpsakb6ksaw.jpg

I wont be fitting the propeller pods as I will be displaying it on the water

Detail I reckon is brilliant for 1/144

P1010343%20Copy_zpsbbaz1t6b.jpg

P1010341%20Copy_zpsohtqrsor.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Will you be displaying on the water with the soap bar beside it :hmmm:

Beefy

• Like 1

The hull shape is amazingly refined actually. The propulsion is designed purely for extreme maneuvering as well so this is a very high-tech little tug. We have similar tugs in the Amsterdam North Sea Canal area with up to 90 tons bollard pull so they are anything but wimpy ships.................Just my :2c:

Heck might even get one of these myself :winkgrin:

• Like 1

They are just jealous Julian cos they haven't got a little thing to play with in the bath :winkgrin:

Originally Fairplay I was stationed in Rotterdam, Fairplay III in Antwerp and X in Hamburg.

As you say they pack a punch, 5000 HP with a 70 ton bollard pull.

Kev

• Like 2

I'll pass on commenting on playing with little things in the bath Kev :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: (Fnar Fnar 1 point)

This type of tug took a little getting used to when they first arrived in IJmuiden and Amsterdam. We had a couple of cases of vessels having fairleads pull off their welds or even completely disintegrating due to the pull of the "soapdishes" coming in at an angle. Bloody strong little monsters they are.

• Like 2

I have a question for the learned members of the Forum....

" Would you still consider it to be a victory if the result took you a step closer to insanity? "

Now there is nothing wrong with a Fairplay built out of the box but........................

I do feel the railings are a trifle heavy.

For heavy read 100mm (4") in diameter so....................

After much mucking about and getting hold of solder PAINT , I've produced these

The top rail & verticals are 0.3mm brass. The horizontals are 0.15mm. In reality 43 and 21mm !

To say I was pleased would be a mild under statement :yahoo:

P1010371%20Copy_zps6xd7cq46.jpg

P1010372%20Copy_zpsslvzua4d.jpg

P1010376%20Copy_zpsf0iauyny.jpg

P1010377%20Copy_zpsinx8rzfd.jpg

Some minor damage done getting all the tape off and cleaning but as proof of concept I'll let the pics do the talking.

Now back to solder paint, I've been using cream for a while with reasonable results on photo etch. With the paint I was using X8 mag to see if I'd put any on!! A touch with a solder iron job done. I cannot recommend solder paint enough for anyone who like me struggles with joining PE.

The one I got (others are available)

http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/soft-solders/index.asp

Thank you for reading my ramblings

Kev

• Like 5