Unicraft Westland F7/30

Al Gunthwaite

I have the MiG 7. It is probably the worst kit I've ever had. The resin is very brittle and great care is needed carving/sanding/filling a shape anything like the MiG from what is provided. I'm afraid that the cost is unavoidable with resin kits because of their means of manufacture, regardless of the quality of the product.

I can only say that the original, pre work, does look like a MiG 7, just proving the uselessness of that particular saying!

Graham

I'm glad it's not just my casting of the kit. The first impression was very favourable with a very smart little box. However, upon opening it I had a Tombo sense of deja vu (except that Tombo kits were in plastic). I was curious as to whether anyone had assembled one.

Al

I have a handful of the Unicraft Fletcher FU24 and Cresco topdressing aircraft (I did suggest them to Igor after all!), have one Fletcher just needing decals and built a Hughes XV-9A as a "what if". I couldn't have built them with the skills I had ten years ago, and the quality is pretty poor, but in many cases it's the only way to get a certain subject without scratching. You'll definitely need a healthy spares box for the smaller parts like cockpit controls, weapons and undercarriage.

I'm no master like many here, but I'm pleased with the results I've achieved with very basic kits (neither kit comes with decals):

7E13CBC0-2DF9-4100-AEC7-3CE0171F14C6_zps

DSCF0649_zpsgdp1m30e.jpg

image4_zpsqnrofxg6.jpg

image3_zpspphvajnq.jpg

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

Hi Al,

Can you post some pictures of the kit parts? Personally I would be interested in building the Westland F.7/30 and I am not fainthearted modeller either (I have even one Tombo under my belt :-), but it is better to be forewarned.

Thanks

Patrik

Patrik

These are not the best quality images...

Westland%20box%20top.jpg

Westland%20bits.jpg

The basic airframe looks useable (with a great deal of work). There is no internal detail, the pilots seat is unusable, the prop looks unusable, there are no struts or undercarriage legs. The vac-formed canopy looks nice. The kit comes with two 3 view plans each with a couple of photos. There are no instructions or decals.

Al