An-225

cosmosman

I remember when its smaller brother landed at RAF Finningley in the mid '90s with parts for the Drax power station.

Upon their departure from R/W 21 the crew were told not to follow the SID (since their radius of turn would put them over Bawtry), but to extend to the south before turning right.

Unfortunately they didn't do as asked but flew slap over Bawtry in the dark. As a result there were several reports of an aircraft crashing...

I was on duty at the Field Hospital site on Farnborough airfield (set up following the Ramstein disaster) during the 1988(?) Farnborough Airshow when one of the engines on its smaller sister blew up on take off almost as it drew level to us and showering debris everywhere,........it was quite near the end of the runway at the time and I remember laughing when the control tower popped the emergency barrier,........which might just have snagged the mighty aeroplanes front wheel, it was so small and id did look quite silly!

The Antonov `Cock' which brought in the replacement engine even came well off the runway in a cloud of grass cuttings upon landing and was lucky not to have its undercarriage ripped off by the storm drains which run along the side of much of the runway,......it very luckily found a gap. Most of the grass was covered by netting and I suspect that it might have ripped much of this up, although we were not allowed over onto that side of the runway to look. It was more of a crash than a landing and I half expected a fireball among that cloud of cut grass! Maybe it looked worse than it was where we were but you`d expect the runway to be more than adequate!

The six engined An-225 is an even more impressive beast, thanks for the info and for sharing the video.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

As with Tony I was working at Farnborough back in the 80's, (fire crew for me) when the Russians came to town.

Scanned from my original photos.

x3_edited_zpshgzfmmti.jpg

x2_edited_zpsanc7jool.jpg

x1_edited_zpsacfzdemv.jpg

Hope they are of some interest.

RR

• Like 3

Great pics RR,

I didn`t see that one, I saw the smaller one from the previous show which arrived with the MiG 29`s but I remember seeing a photo of the An 225 in your photos in Aeroplane magazine as it passed overhead the pub right outside Farnborough,.....was it called the Swan? The thing looked like it was about to take the street lamp posts out!

It is a very impressive looking beast,

Cheers

Tony

Back when the An-225 was being developed (in the Ukraine BTW - when it was still part of the Soviet Union) - the top brass at Antonov decided that they would go for a number of weight lifting records.

So the Mriya (Dream) was loaded with a pallet of iron ingots and took off and gained a number of records for carrying a certain weight to a variety of altitudes.

Then more pallets of iron ingots were added - and another set of records was gained etc etc....

It finally dawned on them that loading pallets of ingots was extremely time consuming and rather labour intensive - so someone had the bright idea of using self-loading weights - namely TANKS !

So one 50-ton T-72 tank was loaded, and a number of records achieved - then a second tank was loaded etc etc....

In the end, the record-breaking An-225 took off with no less than FIVE tanks (T-72 & T-80) - making a total payload of 250 tonnes and a max takeoff weight of 640 tonnes :analintruder:

Here it is at Gostomel, Kiev with the five tanks arrayed in front......

1314089146_antonov_an_225_mrija_01.jpg

Another one.....

an225.jpg

Now, that is some machine.

Ken

PS - Although there is only one flying, there were rumours flying around about 10 years ago about Anotonov getting the money together to make the second, stress testing airframe, airworthy - i'm not sure if the project is still alive.

In the meantime, the sole flying An-225 is in great demand world-wide.

PPS - I have my five 1/72 scale Revell T-72/T-80 kits ready to go with the Modelsvit An-225 when they produce it.

Edited by Flankerman

If Donny wasn't so far I'd have gone, but I caught it last year at East Midlands, so all's not lost. A huge (excuse the pun) favourite of mine, I can remember seeing it being thrown around (Literally!) at Farnborough... Dad got to walk through it on a press/trade day, I've only been able to touch it at a Paris Salon...

I will get the Modelsvit kit once it's out too.... with a Buran on top!

14428879673_5374154556_c.jpgAn-225 on approach... by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

14221747558_e07dc78b0d_c.jpgAn-225 Landing at East Midlands Airport. by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

and my dad's photos...

15386937007_ff095b45ab_c.jpgCCCP-82060 AN-225 by Alan Bushell, on Flickr

15389912067_bf1980588f_c.jpgAN-225 by Alan Bushell, on Flickr

15448138127_e28725c13f_c.jpgCCCP-82060 THE BIG ONE by Alan Bushell, on Flickr

Edited by Radleigh

Is the Modelsvit kit wishful thinking, or is it on the way? :hmmm:

The Modelsvit An-124 kit has some extra parts that make it obvious they are/were planning to do one - I don't know when though.

The one and only 225 seems to be in such demand that I bet the operator wishes they had another!

They do - the fatigue test airframe is sitting in a hangar at Gostomel.

A few years agao Antonov reckoned they could make it airworthy and certify it, given the money.

There was talk of it being done - but it seems to have gone quiet lately.

From Wiki......

In May 2011, the Antonov CEO is reported to have said that the completion of a second An-225 Mriya transport aircraft with a carrying capacity of 250 tons requires at least $300 million, but if the financing is provided, its completion could be achieved in three years. According to different sources, the second jet is 60–70% complete

Ken

Edited by Flankerman