Fujimi Skyhawk, 1/72, VA-152

alex

A bit late, but with a small kit, even I should manage to finish on time. I chose the Fujimi A-4, it's a small kit, and I always liked the scooter. Small, but powerful ( a bit like me! ;) ). I will use decals from Super Scale International, which has a nice A-4E from the VA-152, based on the Shangri-La.

The starting picture:

1-start_zpsqadbytca.jpg

the first colour, some grey for the cockpit. Anyone knows what colour the bangseat was? I've seen both grey and black...

2-cockpit_zps9zaxeziz.jpg

And a close up. After some airbrushed grey, I brushed the black and some white and yellow buttons. it will do, as the cockpit opening is tiny...

3-cockpit_zpsjcpokeim.jpg

btw: that's a picture of the original: http://geta-o.jp/USMIL/A/A-4/A-4E/A-4E-1/A-4e%28aj500%29150001-sd5.jpg

Alex

Edited by alex
  • Like 6

That's a good, very precise start, and the plane is rather gorgeous!

Just one thing: the picture you mention shows an A-4 with the hump on the back, but the sprue shot doesn't seem to show the hump... Or have I missed it?

I will be following this build for sure!

JR

Just one thing: the picture you mention shows an A-4 with the hump on the back, but the sprue shot doesn't seem to show the hump... Or have I missed it?

I will be following this build for sure!

JR

Have a close look, the hump are the two most upper right hand parts on the sprue shot (the hump is splitted vertically).

Alex

• Like 1

On the inside of the nose gear well, there was a nasty ejector pin mark. Instead of filling and sanding, I chose to cut out this area, and to give a bit more depth.

4-schacht_zpsf3futu2q.jpg

The ordnance is from the Hasegawa weapon kits, two AGM-45 Shrikes and two Mk-82, along with the centerline fuel tank.

5-beladung_zpsobyqqid4.jpg

The seat, still without belts.

6-sitz_zpsncatpvrz.jpg

The nose gear bay, it looks a bit better with the added void for the wheel.

7-schacht2_zpsvdtwkktf.jpg

And the cockpit glued in place. Progress is quick so far, I hope to glue the halves together today, as the PVA for some steel balls should be dry by this afternoon.

8-cockpit_zpsspmymieb.jpg

Alex

• Like 3

Flaps cut out. As they had some recesses on the inside, cutting was no problem.

9-unterseite1_zpsd5zkzogg.jpg

Some lead and steel balls to avoid a tailsitter

10-gewicht_zps0dfptyfc.jpg

Intake pas painted with revell aqua, three layers of strongly diluted paint, and enough time to dry.

11-einlass_zpszimabhe9.jpg

And the intake in place. I had to cut the border of the fuselage a bit thinner, otherwise the intake would have been too large to fit.

12-einlass2_zpsane93r41.jpg

The kit progresses rather quickly, I'm a bit surprised myself.

Alex

• Like 4

The gear bay has beed detailled a bit. Just some plastic bits as structural parts, and some copper wire. The front pars isn't that bad, but the rear part was rather naked. Oh, and please note the landing light, which will be done with clear sprue.

13-fahrwerksschacht_zpskp4v04bn.jpg

The Exhaust is a little bit too narrow, so I widened it and filled up the gap.

14-duese_zpsafgv6glq.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

The first part have been airbrushed with white.

15-weiss_zpszsaugrvv.jpg

Amongst them, the intakes. I glued them together before glueing them to the fuselage.

16-einlass_zpsjfw41s0q.jpg

And attached to the fuselage.

17-rumpf_zpsw2zzqmhd.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

The hump needed a bit of force to be attached to the fuselage

18-buckel1_zpsotjy62xn.jpg

Still a bit of filler needed

19-buckel2_zpsm4rea7qn.jpg

White parts got a bit of a oil colour washing, after several cotes of clear

20-washing_zpshly5zjrk.jpg

Gear parts. Red is revell acrylic, brush painted.

21-gear_zpsrr0hfyh9.jpg

Gear is finished and glued into place. The firing handle is stretched sprue, it looked better that the kit part.

22-cockpit_zpswwcsxtqb.jpg

And with the canopy glued onto the fuselage, she's ready for the black preshading!

23-ready_zpszrhewbvk.jpg

Alex

• Like 7

As mentionned before, the preshading was airbrushed yesterday.

24-preshading1_zpsi29xir1n.jpg

And masked, for the white paint

25-preshading2_zpsihqsuqk8.jpg

Something went a bit wrong with the Mk 82. I chose Revell Olive, which was way too green and not brown enough.

26-mk82_zpsjrnpt1ri.jpg

Then, two wrong can make one right. I airbrushed some leather brown, heavily diluted, over the green, to give them a more brownish apperance. Since it was very light, I could control the effect rather well. That's how it looked in the end.

27-mk82_zpstieuyrwe.jpg

Just to find out I still had some Model Master 1711 in a drawer. Guess what would be the right colour!

Alex

Edited by alex
  • Like 3

Tonight, I airbrushed the red parts. A word of warning - the colour doesn't cover too well, so many layers needed to be sprayed. The black was maybe too dark for a preshading, and a even surface is a must. I had still some white spots in the flaps where I used some filler, it took a heck of lot of colour until they didn't bleed through. It still does a bit, but at an acceptable level. and a second lesson learned - if you spray red over white, make sure that you mask enough. I didn't, and there are still some reddish shades on the underside. It will not show in the end, at least I hope, because it's located between the pylons. But still, it annoyed me a bit to make such a foolish error. BTW, airbrakes will be closed, I just decided.

29-rot_zpsns12sku1.jpg

30-rot2_zpsgpwd3n5a.jpg

Alex

• Like 4

Today, I did some masking...

31-masken_zps0bwgyowd.jpg

And then I airbrushed some Modelmaster Light Gull grey.

32-grau_zpsbwqbayf1.jpg

33-grau2_zpsnhrc1p41.jpg

And the underside.

34-unten_zpsgekahsom.jpg

Some small touch-ups needed, but hopefully I can brush the gloss varnish next week!

Alex

• Like 3

The Skyhawk got the Tamiya Gloss cote for the decals...

35-glanzlack_zpsezxxeanc.jpg

The arrestor hook was changed a bit. As the fujimi part was a bit irregular (top), I fixed it with some round evergreen rod (bottom). The stripes are decals from the Superscale sheet, they were a bit tricky on the small round part, and I had to paint a few points were the decal broke.

36-fanghaken_zpsljqz10i9.jpg

And the first decals are on, they work nicely with microsol.

37-decals_zpsdwycdqyp.jpg

And now:

AAAAAARGH!

The "AJ"-decal which should be placed on the fin is missing on the decal sheet! They forgot it! Unbelievable! Looks like I have to do it myself with some masking tape and a sharp knife.

Alex

• Like 2

The decals must have been stolen by some agents belonging to some unspecified, but highly nefarious foreign power!!!

A war will be impossible to avoid!

In the meantime I am sure you'll make a plan!

Have fun!

JR

Uff, problem solved. I've found a good picture of a decal sheet in 1:32, so after some printing, drawing and scaling, I did some masks myself.

45-maske6_zpsjjgrx7n0.jpg

Result wasn't that bad. Needed some touch-ups, but I'm happy...

46-maske7_zpsxzrniumf.jpg

Alex

• Like 4

Decals on on three sides out of four! :)

47-decals_zpsxdfvq906.jpg

The vortex generators are a pit of a pain in the gluteus maximus. They needed a lot of softener, and in between I had to cut carefully between the generators (otherwise it looked a bit like "shrink wrapped")

49-decal1_zpsbpqb8f3o.jpg

Some touch up needed, but not as bad as feared.

50-decal2_zpsosjtdble.jpg

Intake was done with a decal (the boudary layer plate), and painted on the outside with revell aqua. Good luck the panel line helped a lot, it was easy to paint a straight line.

48-einlass_zpszk8gk7ig.jpg

Alex

• Like 3

Hope you all had a nice Christmas! And thanks for the extended deadline, it looks now like I can make it!

Yesterday, I did the washing and weathering, after I was happy with the decals. I don't like chipping on Navy birds, as the corrosive environment doesn't allow too much metal being exposed. So I just did the panel lines, and some staining where the walkways were on later Skyhawks. I've seen as many Skyhawks without as with walkways, so I didn't use them. Elevators still just plugged in.

51-endmontage_zpsci3z7o2h.jpg

Ordnance ready for the fight.. :hobbyhorse:

52-waffenlast_zps73le5if5.jpg

And the smaller parts are ready to be glued in place. Flaps, slats and central pylon will be glued this afternoon, and this evening all is ready for the final layer of semigloss lacquer. The exhaust tube is from a swiss army safety awareness pencil, btw.

53-kleinteile_zpsc1bbxb0j.jpg

Alex

• Like 2