revell Thermopylae

kpnuts

Hi all here is tonight update may I first say anyone contemplating this ship, please read the rigging instructions alongside the build instructions and dont leave them till the end, as you can plainly see I have not done that and still I've made things extremely awkward for myself, there is some rigging from the main mast to the four iron rings in the deck which now I have the belaying pin racks and the foremast shrouds in place will be extremely difficult to attatch.

anyway here is where I'm at now.

hVTcTwB.jpg

YNLBP6c.jpg

Us5qSwa.jpg

• Like 5

There are two sets of instructions, one for the build, one for the rigging, the only mention on the build instructions is to not put the life boat hoist on before the rigging, if you build the whole ship apart from that you will cause yourself no end of problems come time to do the rigging.

• Like 1

looking good KP.......rigging can be a trial, no matter when it's done. I did the life boats on my Cutty.....I rigged them first before I started the main part of the rigging. you just have top be careful, and don't wear anything with buttons ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all here is the next update on this

VrgfOgn.jpg

7OnObAc.jpg

ZdQzntz.jpg

8SEnPAT.jpg

Baring in mind these are almost Identical scales (the thermop is 1/96 and the soliel is 1/100) I still cant believe how much heavier and bulkier and cumbersom the soliel was (I mean I know she had to be able to withstand cannon fire and such) but she must have been sooooooo slooooowwwww

6mUlKF0.jpg

XG6EKe9.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all well this must be jinxed I went to get an hour in tonight and have had a catastrophe, now I've got several hours of remedial work, it's now back in the outhouse while I calm down.

mv15dd.jpg

2nk868.jpg

• Like 1

It probably looks worse than it is. I am sure all will be fine if you pin the bowsprit on with some brass rod. I expect to be doing this with my Endeavour when if get to start her.

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a fine example of make and mend KP.

Its very easy to knock bits off when rigging.

But with wood and brass spars etc its much easier to stop mishaps.

Nice come back ship mate.

foxy :coolio:

• 2 weeks later...