revell Thermopylae

kpnuts

Excellent! When I was a kid in the early '60s, I had a Revell catalogue which featured this beast. I was struck by the elegance and graceful lines of the vessel in the illustration; my family were hysterical at my attempts to pronounce its name. Never seen one done 'til now, I'm pretty sure it will be worth the wait of 50-odd years!

• Like 1

With two ships on the go(be it waiting on parts for one), you have your hands full.

Nice coppering and the deck fittings look good.

My mojo at the moment is sadly lacking, so nice to see the progress here, well done matey.

foxy :coolio:

Following with great interest.

I've never built the Thermopylae but I have done the 1/96th Cutty Sark, and I have to say a lot of that plastic looks very familiar... :pipe:

J

I was thinking that as well John, Revell had the Kearsarge and Alabama and the Cutty Sark and Thermopylae for sale long,long ago using the hull and mast parts for both ships. There are quite a few differences but they are very subtle in places. Seeing KP working on the Thermopylae has me wanting to pull the Cutty Sark out of my stash but I have enough models on the burner at the moment so I'll leave well be........................................

Hi all here is tonight bit, probably have this finished before the part comes, anyway I like a few irons in the fire.

BztG0jn.jpg

sxFaETN.jpg

Q56nl1D.jpg

JkHBNWG.jpg

lHvTW63.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 8

Quite a nice piece considering the age. Wouldn't fancy pumping on that around the Horn

All together now..

'Pump me boys, pump her dry, down to hell and up to the sky. Bend your back and break your bones, we're just a thousand miles from home...'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along very nicely Ken, have you considered highlighting the belaying pins with a lighter brown or even light brown to make the detail pop out a bit?

cheers,

Julian

Edited by Gremlin56

My mistake this kit is the Cutty Sark in disguise it tells you to paint the raised area matt black (luckily I did it with a brown tint) the thermopylea kit is a re jigged Cutty Sark that area is where the cabin for the Cutty Sark would go (why they tell you to paint it matt black must be a carry over from the Cutty Sark kit) I'm hoping I can blend it in if not(although you've already proved I won't get away with that) people wouldn't notice.

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...