revell Thermopylae

kpnuts

Hi all we due to the kind generosity of CPNGROATS (a member on another forum who was so impressed by my model ships he gifted this to me from his own stash)I have received this

Ym8x36V.jpg

3g9EIhb.jpg

5YorrI9.jpg

today.

Thank you very, very much George, very kind indeed.

I hastily opened it tonight eader to start but my missus says NO!!! "you have enough models on the go, cluttering up my house. you finish some of them off and get them out the way". to be fair I do have 9 on the go and bits are all over the place, she's generally ok so I cant complain ( but I have found in the past a bit of sweet talking can bring her round ) so watch this space, in the very near future.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hi all well since I'm having a rest from the darn Citroen I need something to fall back on (this addiction will be the death of me)I thought what be better than this,TBH I've been looking forward to this since I was kindly given it (I just hope I can do it justice)

unac6JL.jpg

uG2geMy.jpg

0TNikvD.jpg

uMdlJz2.jpg

tlBvJqn.jpg

• Like 11

That decking has turned out rather well. I have to confess that, when I saw the first couple of pictures, I thought it looked dreadful. However it is the end result that counts and it has ended up looking really good.

Martin

Hi I give the deck a thin wash of matt light tan (to make it a bit sticky, the pastels don't stick to well to just plastic) then rub the pastel on 160 grit paper then brush across the molded grain with a soft brush, I use several colours building up the layers till it looks how I like it (note I don't put any semi matt coat directly on it as the pastels bleed (which is useful for other effects but not here)) I spray it with a light coat of the missus hairspray(any artist amongst us will know that's the poor man's version of the proper stuff ) when thats dry I then spray a light coat of semi matt

• Like 5

Hi all well I've tried a little experiment, I got some copper and brass leaf with the intention of guilding the copper plates and spraying it with salt water to get the patination of the real plates, well they dissolved so that's out so now I'm thinking I will guild it then distress it with a combination of washes and such my question is ( as there is some debate as to weather it was copper or muntz metal which is an alloy of zinc and brass I think) should I guild it with copper or brass.

VqCgaUn.jpg

n2AdsOn.jpg

sHPlE5f.jpg

652q1SN.jpg

Iou1WEF.jpg

OMC5uSv.jpg

ZYhWr1s.jpg

LECRxoH.jpg

sWx1R54.jpg

8Xtv4y7.jpg

• Like 7

'As we did sail around Cape Horn, you'd wish to God you'd never been born....'

Looking forward to see this one in full sail. May have to play the soundtrack to 'The Onedin Line' while following it's progress