revell Thermopylae

kpnuts

Sorry I've missed this somehow, probably browsing by the Bordfunker Method rather than looking in directly!

Your repair work is almost as impressive as the building :popcorn:

Won't be missing any more episodes. This was such an amazing era of sailing, you are doing a fine job on one of its stars.

Al

Hi all, well I needed to do something to take my mind off things so decided to start the ratlines (actually I found it very relaxing)

9fsnl2.jpg

2pzio9k.jpg

acc0t2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Nice recovery from what might have been a stopping point for a lot of people.

That was one of my teen builds too.

I think I did it under a month but (obviously) nowhere near that nice!

Very slick trick on the ratlines. Gonna have to remember that one.

Good Luck!

• 10 months later...
Hi all well this is back on the bench (hoping to finish it by October, a bit optimistic butbi will try)
5zlett.jpg
sorry Grant not touched this in a while, yes needle through the stays ( needle is about half the thickness of the stays)
  • Like 4

Hi all here is the next update I noticed a split in the vac form mizzen sail and was going to patch it with a stitched square then thought I would experiment with some super glue.
10dcxec.jpg
Unfortunately the superglue made the weathering go white but a coat of acrylic white and you would never know.
sbm3pf.jpg
I've finished all the ratlines on the forecast
n3ads2.jpg
2n04tcn.jpg
sl0jd3.jpg
  • Like 2

Hi all here is the next update seems like a lot of rigging on this but it's nothing compared to the soliel royal, and I've barely started this.
2apb3a.jpg
2l9ttat.jpg
2r61y0j.jpg
  • Like 3

Hi all here is the next update
dzjrmd.jpg
ddj1tu.jpg
ibi39d.jpg
2jeo7ix.jpg
I'm actually quite shocked and proud, my missus just said you can't stick that in your junk yard(what she calls my spares room)she said I just can't think where to put it, maybe we could get a display cabinet.

• Like 5

Hi all well this is shelved again for a while I've broken the (I don't know what it's called) the bit that tensions the bowsprit, I'm not actually sure how to fix it as it's very thin plastic and superglue doesn't seem to work I'm so annoyed at my clumsiness, this is the fourth time I've broken something on this kit. I will fix it, it's just annoying.
1znndhz.jpg
esqioi.jpg

• Like 4

You need a quick fix so as not to lose the offer of the display case. If you can post a close up of the problem I suspect a solution will be forthcoming very quickly.

Martian

That last pic is a close up of the problem you see the black piece sticking out, the other black bit in front of it is supposed to be on the end of it.

I think it's called the catshead and the bit that's broken is called the whisker (or so I've been informed)

OK, I can see it now. If the part is too thin to be drilled and pinned, I would be inclined to remove both sides and make up replacement parts from Albion Alloys brass stock. Nobody will notice if the parts have to be a bit simplified over the kit items and structural strength is clearly paramount in this case.

Martian

• 2 weeks later...