Polish WW2 Group Build for 2017?

old thumper

Oh, I wasn't even thinking about things like being dishonest. What's a point here at all? In the net group built?

I meant the times and occasions when there were no such things as personal aircrafts. Situations when we know a guy or a girl flew this plane, but we have no way to find out if she was hers or his mount. Or anybody's mount at all, as a matter of fact. A group of interesting objects portraying special events might have been excluded.

By the way, if the idea works, my advise is to hold GrzeM to his promise. Known as splendid modeller, would be a worthy source of information too, be sure of that. :)

It looks like I will have to!

I was basically just thinking of a group build for equipment being used by a member of the Polish Forces during World War Two. Obviously a single seat aircraft flown by a Polish pilot as his regular mount would qualify, a Wellington with just one Polish crew member would not unless for a special reason, a battleship with only one Polish crew member would require a very extra special reason. I agree with Greatgonzo that not all equipment would wear a form of marking to indicate it's Polish use. If there are any experts willing and able to be the judge of this then please take one step forward.

Edited by old thumper

This is a great idea for a Group Build, please count me in.

It shouldn't be too hard to prove that a specific aircraft was flown by a member of the Polish Air Force, as it was an official recognized air force like any other that fought in the war. I assume the same could be said for army units.

• Like 1

I prefer the option of any aircraft that has a Polish association After all we always try and keep GBs as inclusive as possible.

The trouble is what defines Polish association? I am starting to feel out of my depth on that. I think most people probably have the same idea in their heads of what is appropriate and that it is just a question of wording it right.

If we think about Gabby Gabreski for example, a USAAF pilot who flew with a Polish squadron and was of Polish parentage. Would all his aircraft including the Thunderbolts he flew for majority of his service be suitable because of his Polish parentage, just the Spitfires he flew with the Polish squadron or would Gabreski be barred from the group build as he was American?

If all Gabreski builds were to be allowed due to his Polish parentage then it could be argued that Hub Zemke would qualify for a Luftwaffe group build as both his parents were German immigrants.

Edited by old thumper

I wouldn't know about Zemke, but Gabreski always underlined his Polish origin. He was borm as Franciszek Gabryszewski too and changed his name after joining the training to make his life a bit easier.

I would be careful with Polish Air Force definition too. The term is used specifically for the units organised alongside RAF in Great Britain during the IIww and only for them. This would exclude all east front planes and e.g. late GÅ‚adych's P-47 in 56th FG.

On the other hand I am stepping here on the linguistic trouble ground placed between Polish and English language, not to mention only a few in Poland herself would be aware of the difference. Let's call it just a curiosity then.

Gonzo is right in that there was another Polish Air Force on the Soviet side, and I think that should also be included.

There are quite a few ambiguous examples that the GB moderators will probably have to rule on in a case by case basis. Gladych and Gabreski have already been mentioned. Witold Urbanowicz flew on exchange with the Flying Tigers in China. Should his P-40 be eligible? How about John Kent with 303 Sqn? He was not Polish, but flew in a Polish squadron.

I think that the GB leadership will have to rule on some of these, but in no way should these questions preclude the GB itself. I think it's a wonderful idea.

• Like 1

Only WWII ? Other national group builds (e.g. French Fancy) allowed longer time scales

Poland has a long and chequerd history, and I'd be interested to see a broader time-scale

Anyone for a set of Winged Hussars?! :Tasty:

• Like 1

Urbanowicz was a PSP (PAF) officer and a diplomat representing Polish government in the USA. He flew in China only as a guest. Quite different story in GÅ‚adych's case in the late part of his service with 56th..

Urbanowicz probably had no personal mount, an no one really knows what the P-40s he flew looked like. There are s/n known all right, but no pictures of them so far.

• Like 1

It is tempting to suggest adopting the same rules as the French build as the scenarios presented here could also have occurred over there? The potential issue I suppose is with that build it is a French theme. Whereas this one is to acknowledge the Polish contribution towards help win WWII.

Good morning

I would like to propose to expand this Gb to all the pilots/crew member who fled from their occupied countries in Europe to keep fighting Nazi Germany alongside their Gb fellows pilots I think of all the Belgians , Danes , Czechs , Norwegians , Poles , French , Hollands ..

Patrice

Good morning

I would like to propose to expand this Gb to all the pilots/crew member who fled from their occupied countries in Europe to keep fighting Nazi Germany alongside their Gb fellows pilots I think of all the Belgians , Danes , Czechs , Norwegians , Poles , French , Hollands ..

Patrice

I have nothing against that idea in principle. As we have a year to wait before the 2017 group build vote I thought I would leave it until spring before making a firm proposal.

This idea has become so much more complicated than I ever expected. I am now thinking that regardless of whether or not this remains a exclusively Polish group or one that includes the many other countries mentioned that all entries should have either full national markings or the smaller ones similar to those seen on Battle of Britain aircraft.

This should keep things simple and avoid arguments, I hope.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 'Everything but British' idea would made me loose interest in the GB. I would rather let go the Polish story and watch Dutch, Nordic,Tchech or so contribution in the war effort. Still, Polish idea would provide more pleasure while watching :).

There is time enough to think about this. I think there is certainly enough choice of subjects to make what would basically be a Polish WW2 group build happen. The problem would be clarifying what is Polish and what isn't, I think the ruling on this would have to be a very bland and simple one such as anything wearing Polish markings or emblems.

• Like 1

Count me in on this one. I have several aircraft and armor kits in the stash that will work for September 1939, and a few for later. Right at the top of my list is a Fairey Battle (hoping Airfix releases a new one soon)

• 2 weeks later...

There is time enough to think about this. I think there is certainly enough choice of subjects to make what would basically be a Polish WW2 group build happen. The problem would be clarifying what is Polish and what isn't, I think the ruling on this would have to be a very bland and simple one such as anything wearing Polish markings or emblems.

I agree with that rule too as I think most people will enter that kind of model anyway.

• 2 weeks later...