Airfix in Morse Code for car modellers (Humour intended)

roymattblack

I know I love BIG stuff, but I do enjoy building little cars as well.

The re-pop Ford GT and Maserati Indy are on my XMas list.

I just wish Airfix would realise that there is a BIG market for model cars that currently is being fed by Revell, Tamiya, Fujimi...

They could have a slice of that pie.

I sincerely hope they jump on the new 'Spectre' Aston and Jaguar cars as model kits.

After all, they now have them as Scalextric and Corgi.

SURELY an Airfix kit of each will follow???

Roy.

Dam it Roy, I was convinced you had information Airfix were to release a 1/24 Mk.II Jaguar.

Airfix in recent years have decided for whatever reason that military vehicles are 1/48 (not 1/35) and road/race cars are 1/32 not (1/24) that way they do not step on other manufacturers toes

AIRFIX - In Morse code...

Dull - Boring......Dull - Dull......Dull - Boring - Dull......Dull - Dull - Boring - Dull......Dull - Dull......Boring - Dull - Dull - Boring,.......

Di dah di dit dah dah hah di dah di dit!

Rick.

Are you really surprised? :shrug: Why single Airfix out in particular when there are plenty of other companies out there that seldom produce car kits that you could have a moan at? It comes across like a combination of sour grapes and trying to wind up anyone that likes Airfix, so I'd suggest people don't rise to the bait. :fraidnot:

• Like 2

I'm simply sticking up for model car fans - hence the wording in the thread title - a bit of a hint there.

As I mentioned, I'm after the repop Maserati and Ford GT.

It just seems that Airfix are continually offering umpteen variants of the same old aircraft yet rarely do anything new for car modellers.

OK, there's a bigger market for aircraft, but it doesn't mean car modellers don't exist.

The manufacturers I have mentioned seem to be able to produce car kits.

Why can't Airfix?

Also, As I mentioned above - let's hope they do something with the Bond cars.

NO intention to 'wind anyone up' as you seem to want to imply.

Simply an opinion, and surely, anyone can see that my Morse code translation is intended in humour???

Even Rick has responded in morse...

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

I just wish Airfix would realise that there is a BIG market for model cars that currently is being fed by Revell, Tamiya, Fujimi...

I think the problem is that model cars isn't a BIG market for model companies. It's a niche inside the niche world of models. If you exclude the re-boxes then Tamiya don't release much new at all anymore.

Whilst I'd love to see more from Airfix car related I'd welcome it from any of the manufacturers.

The manufacturers I have mentioned seem to be able to produce car kits.

Why can't Airfix?

They do - just not much of it. They have to look at what they think will sell and produce that.

A company like Tamiya is more worldwide than Airfix which means they have the Japanese sales and US sales that Airfix doesn't tend to have.

Airfix in recent years have decided for whatever reason that military vehicles are 1/48 (not 1/35) and road/race cars are 1/32 not (1/24) that way they do not step on other manufacturers toes

Surely Airfix decided that cars should be 1/32 back in the 1950s? That was the scale for dozens of their car kits up to 1981, and there were only a handful of exceptions. How many of the car kits in other scales were original Airfix moulds? The big Bentley and the James Bond Aston and Toyota, perhaps, but were kits like the Maserati Bora Airfix originals?

I believe there is a market for limited run models IF the subject is right... Tamiya and Revell produce a classic Mini kit so demand has to be there, and what about a real niche subject like Revells 'London Bus'... that seemed to be a hit

Get the subject right and the fans will buy.... VW bus/transporter is a easy subject for kit manufacturers but a Citroen H van would be snapped up.

I just think Airfix are too conservative and are less likely to take a gamble, other manufacturers are more willing, simple as that.... shame

Surely Airfix decided that cars should be 1/32 back in the 1950s? That was the scale for dozens of their car kits up to 1981, and there were only a handful of exceptions. How many of the car kits in other scales were original Airfix moulds? The big Bentley and the James Bond Aston and Toyota, perhaps, but were kits like the Maserati Bora Airfix originals?

True they started in 1/32 so they do have that history but they also evolved to 1/24 and it is 1/24 that is the industry norm now... I'd be inclined to say Airfix chooses 1/32 today not for any historical reason but rather they are a sister company to Scalelectric., and as I already intimated they don't want to compete directly in those genres.

Bottom line, I don't work for Humbrol so have no idea what their rational is.... all the above is my own speculation

I have to agree that 1/24 really is the norm with regards to car modelling.

I think Airfix did try to branch into that market recently. The Aston and jag LM cars and the fiesta and mini WRC. The problem with them for most modellers is the scale. They won't fit into a collection.

I understand why they made them in 1/32. To share cad files with scalectric. I.e hornby saving money.

But that choice sealed there fate to limited sales figures. A real missed opportunity especially as until belkits fiesta, no other kits exist of those subjects.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

When Airfix issued their first cars 1/32 was the standard scale; Revell, Pyro, Gowland and Gowland and others, later Matchbox and Dapol also doing them.

1/25-1/24 was the odd scale, but it took over. Most of the 1/24 kits Airfix did were re-boxes of others kits, only a few were their own.

Trevor Snowden told me years ago that there wouldn't be any Airfix 1/24 cars because the company works in "ranges": there are already 1/32 cars, so you can add to that range with new tools and back them up with re-releases. For 1/24 cars, the "bank" is essentially empty, so they would have to create at least 4 new tools to kick off the range (he said 4 was an absolute minimum, and it wasn't really a range until you had six models...). So, unlike Revell, which has plenty of both their own tools and "rentals" to go at so there's always a good range in the catalogue, Airfix are never going to jump in to 1/24. Very sadly.

However, on the upside, next year will see Revell release a 1/24 kit of a state of the art supercar from a British manufacturer, which could also pave the way for some follow-ups...

;-)

bestest,

M.

• Like 1

Again then they missed an opportunity. They tooled 4 new kits, of still quite unique subjects. Enough to start a 'range'. Yet chose to do them in 1/32. Limiting the saleability.

I'm not saying Airfix are a bad company. Hell they parted me of my money for their new tooled aeroplanes till I focused solely on the automotive side lol.

I just believe they alienated themselves with those car kits. And because of that havent tooled any since. They will again in the future I'm sure.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

I worked in a Model Shop for 3 years, Cars were the one of the worst sellers next to ships. Maybe that's a good enough reason not to invest in tooling up.

Edited by George Norman

I worked in a Model Shop for 3 years, Cars were the one of the worst sellers next to ships. Maybe that's a goo enough reason not to invest in tooling up.

I think this is the main reason they are unlikely to get into it in a big way.

Also all the 1/32 scale models (the more recent cars like the Fiesta and Mini) are all existing models that Scalextric do so the moulds are all ready to go.

Also all the 1/32 scale models (the more recent cars like the Fiesta and Mini) are all existing models that Scalextric do so the moulds are all ready to go.

This is one of my points too.

Of course, there would still be added costs in making the Scalextric cars into Airfix kits but surely, they are half way there, and they have a HUGE range to pick from.

I can't imagine licensing being a problem if they are already allowed to make the Scaley versions.

They could gauge model popularity by looking at which individual Scaley cars sell the best.

Roy.

I talked to one of the Airfix guys about this over the weekend. Having a Scalextric model doesn't automatically make it easy to produce an Airfix model. First, the Scalextric cars are moulded in different plastic, so the details of the mould are different; and secondly there are more pieces in a scale kit than the racing car, so basically the tools need to be made from scratch. On the plus side, the fact that there is a Scalextric car means that there is plenty of data about the car knocking around -- but he said these days they often get sent real CAD data from the company which makes the car, so in theory it can be done at any scale just as easily as 1/32. Essentially, the fact that there is a Scalextric car in existence is exactly as relevant to to producing an Airfix scale model as is the fact that there is a Corgi diecast of a particular aircraft -- it's a positive sign, but the work is far from "already done"

Secondly, on the licensing front, the license is for a specific type of product, so a license for a pre-built electric racing car doesn't translate into a license for a scale model kit. (Though, obviously the fact that the two companies are doing existing business is a help to negotiations, but Scalextric has a license from Maserati, but they put the stoppers on re-releasing the Indy, so it's far from a "done deal.") Each license comes with its own terms and conditions, so there's no convenient "We will sell 100,000 units of Scalextric and Airfix kit combined" type arrangements. So an Airfix kit of a car in 1/32 has to make commercial sense on its own merits: "can we sell enough units in three years to meet the license conditions and do better than break even on the tooling costs?". Still, we may yet see Spectre-badged DB10 and CX-75s in 1/32 Airfix kit form, it seems.

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon