1/144 Revell Boeing 737-800 Virgin Blue

Greetings all,

Finally calling this one done. Not sure if I can claim a record for the longest time on the shelf doom? This has taken over 10 years, having started this sometime around 2004, shortly after returning to the hobby. I've stripped the paint twice, which also pulled off all the filler and entailed refilling all the windows and seams three times. :( I then attempted reshaping the CFM56 engines which ended in disaster. :wall: It was only Braz issuing resin CFM56 engines at the start of the year that rekindled any hope of completing this model. And after all that the end result is just passable in my eyes, but I have had 10 years at staring at it... :(

The base kit is the 1/144 Revell Boeing 737-800. Although having the Braz winglets, I erroneously used the kit ones, more on that in moment. I added the Extratech photo etch set, which is mostly invisible and Braz resin engines, which are amazing and assemble without glue, such is the precision and parts breakdown. Decals are Brasil decals, a sheet that also included Tui and Lauda schemes previously donated to fellow BMers. Decals are big disappointment, very translucent, fragile and uncooperative. Oh and the winglet decals were clearly sized for the Braz winglets, so had to be bodged to fit the kit winglets. :wall: And I also added stencils from the Daco Skyline B737NG sheet, which were excellent. Paints were Zero paints white and red, normally for car modelling, but fast drying and tough paints ideal for airliners. And finally Xtracolour Boeing grey enamel for the wings and Alclad for the leading edges.

Darren

37641715465_b3a4a3d988_k.jpg

38528774811_77ed157c3c_k.jpg

24656614348_a0aafbf884_k.jpg

24656614358_ba48627d73_k.jpg

24656614318_f5979d38b0_k.jpg

Edited by Darren Rhodes
Updated photo links
  • Like 18

Another good one Darren, turned out alright in the end, I know the :wall: feeling I've had a few models like that myself. Some go together really smoothly others fight you all the way, bet you're glad to get it finished!

Did you do some surgery on the kit winglets? They don't look badly shaped at all.

Did you use the etched fan blades from Bra.Z? They look very nice.

Any more airliners else lurking on the shelf of doom?

Cheers,

Ian

Yes I narrowed the winglets in chord a lot, which gets them closer to how they should be, but they must be 5mm too short still.

No did not use the Braz etch blades, that's the resin part just painted up gloss black enamel and then a light Alclad Aluminium dusting. The Extratech etch set provided landing gear bay wall liners, doors, door attachment arms, antennae, pitot probes and fan blades. IMHO, not really worth the effort.

Lurking on the shelf of doom is an 80 percent complete Delta MD-90 (Welsh models vac form fuselage and resin engine conversion for the Minicraft kit, Delta 'wavy gravy scheme'), next weekend's job and then a 40 percent complete Delta B777.

Greetings all,

Finally calling this one done. Not sure if I can claim a record for the longest time on the shelf doom? This has taken over 10 years, having started this sometime around 2004, shortly after returning to the hobby.

I have the same kit all mostly built up and part painted, sitting there for probably about 4 years longer than yours.

Very similar experience with the engines, in that I modified my own, cast one which was great, then ran out of resin, and so there it sits with only one engine, looking forlornly at me..

So I waited for something like the Braz engines, and now that I have some I can't really do much modelling at the moment, but like you I will get back to it one day.

Now I also have the Braz winglets from way back, and they are too fat at the top as well although taller than the Revell ones.

I'm considering going back to the Daco ones, even though they are made for the earlier 300/400/500 series, and those are supposed to be shorter in real life than the ones on the 700/800/900, I think Danny might have just made the taller later series ones as when he put them in the kit, there were only about 2 or 3 real aircraft converted, and most people thought they were the same.

I really love yours, great finish, :yahoo: although if I had to be picky I would say the red is too bright, could just be the photos though.

Thank you Graeme, very kind comments and nice to know I'm not the only one to have models languish for so long on the shelf of doom.

You might be right about the red, the paint I used is equivalent to Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red, so not really intended for this scheme ;) And the final varnish coat was with a flat wide hairy stick - with Alclad Acqua gloss I better results with a brush than spraying.

Darren

Hi Darren, a fantastic build of a kit with "issues". I think you've done a really good job on the winglets, and the Braz engines are just perfect. Also, adding the Daco stencilling has provided an extra level of detail that enhances the overall finish. Can't tell from your pics but did you also lift the window line to the correct position? A brilliant job - well done.

Tim

Very nicely done indeed. To look at it, one would not suspect the trials you encountered at all. A double win when one clears a build off the shelf of doom, and ends up with a great looking model as well.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

As others have said the Revell kit has "issues" but in the right hands it can be turned into a real beauty as you've shown here. :goodjob:

Another big :thumbsup2: from me for the BraZ engines. I put them on a -600 a few months ago and the -700 I'm currently working on will get a set as well. I reckon they're unbeatable.

• Like 1