1/72 Airfix Fw-190 A8 "Sturmbock" JG4

Hello and thanks for your interest in this topic.

This is my 1/72 Airfix Fw-190 A8 dressed as a "Sturmbock" of II/JG4.

This particular aircraft is well documented on color pictures (seen here: http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/luftcambg_5.htm).

It was piloted by Walter Wagner on January 1, 1945, participating in"Operation Bodenplatte".

It was hit by flak during the attack over St. Trond airfield, when the engine died and the pilot had to make and emergency landing.

The plane was captured by the US Forces and sent for evaluation.

It later carried an all-red color, decals for the caputred version are available from aftermarket manufacturers as well.

This aircraft had black/white/black RVT bands (denoting JG 4) and the emblem of the left side of the fuselage only.

I added additional side armor from the Brengun etch set, which also provides various antennas and cockpit interior.

To my chargin, the left armor plate lifted off with a "ping!" during the paint session and would not go back into position by any means, which spoils the look of the model from a certain angle.

Nonetheless I decided to finish the build wtih it's flaw.

The decals are from Sky Models Italy, are of reasonable quality and can be recommended.

The sheet also provides the spinner spiral.

Painted with acrylics from the Gunze/Mr.Hobby range, weathered with artist's oils and pastel chalks.

The red blotches on the fuselage represent primer spots, as seen in the original pictures, and have been hand-painted using Vallejo colors.

Pitot tube is a metal piece from Master Model.

All photographs by Wolfgang Rabel of IGM Cars & Bikes - a big 'thank you'!

a_DSC6747_zpsuo3ewm8t.jpg

a_DSC6746_zpsm8kfcat0.jpg

a_DSC6745_zpsyugcqede.jpga_DSC6744_zpsl6hke0t7.jpga_DSC6741_zpsl9shne01.jpga_DSC6740_zpscyf0vj4x.jpga_DSC6739_zpsjeds4mek.jpga_DSC6738_zpsdqrnzxd1.jpga_DSC6737_zpsvyh8r1m4.jpga_DSC6735_zpsy5zy40ai.jpga_DSC6734_zpsep9iu0cg.jpga_DSC6732_zpstn4hdahu.jpga_DSC6770_zpshdwtvm8j.jpg

a_DSC6766_zpsqglwadmr.jpg

a_DSC6764_zpspbwtesyq.jpg

a_DSC6760_zpspboc77er.jpg

a_DSC6759_zpserhhmywb.jpg

a_DSC6758_zpsqnewlfbb.jpg

a_DSC6755_zpsdrrqongz.jpga_DSC6753_zpsqnxzztuo.jpg

a_DSC6752_zps7s3qstow.jpg

a_DSC6748_zpswtosxefo.jpg

Here's some in-progress shots I took during construction stage.

The fuselage halves were badly warped, evident in this picture:

IMG_1051_zps3isvz7qz.jpg

... and so were the wings ...

IMG_1046_zpsgucqgok8.jpg

Cockpit with Brengun etch, very little can be seen afterwards:

IMG_1048_zpsznvv4kl3.jpg

Fixing the side armor panels was a difficult task due to the curvature of the fuselage:

IMG_1045_zpsczwywtqn.jpg

Thanks for your interest ... and off we go for another mission in the ever expanding universe of Plastic Modelling!

Until next time, take care, and all the best from Vienna/Austria!

Roman

a_DSC6743_zpsl4oieufn.jpg

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 18

Hi Roman:

Nice job even tough the problems you faced, buy wonderful you managed to reach the final stage in good shape. Iliked the way you weathered all the plane, and the final finishes you work on it, really a masterwork.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Nice work Roman, you have achieved a lovely paint finish.

I've only built one of the 4 Airfix Fw190s I bought when they first came out due to similar issues to the ones you had. Eduard is the way to go now for a decent Fw190 IMHO.

Duncan B

Blimey, that's an Airfix 190?. Lovely work, great finish.

Please excuse me, but are the red primer spots painted over exposed metal as a local corrosion prevention, or is it the original primer showing through a worn away top coat? Just asking as I quite like it, and would like to use it myself! If you don't mind.

Cheers.

Nicely done, Roman! :goodjob:

The kit is a bit of an awkward one isn't it? I'm currently building one as a Hungarian aircraft, though only the fuselage halves were a bit warped on mine.

Mike.

You captured the worn look of this paticular aircraft very well. And respect for finishing this warped kit.

Great Fw 190!

@cockhead: at this stage of the war, german planes were mostly unprimed. So this primer was painted afterward to protect areas with damaged paint. Mostly where screws were added or removed.

Edited by Wolfgang
  • Like 1

Superb work. What is the source for the side armour plates?

Mitch, the armor plates come with the Brengun Etch Set: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BRL72075

It also contains scissor links, seatbelts, cockpit details, antennas etc.

Here's a close-up of the 'problem zone':

190a8_zpsjv5fmmp9.jpg

• Like 1