New Alclad II MIL-SPEC Airbrush Ready Enamel Paints

Navy Bird

This was a surprise:

http://imodeler.com/2015/11/product-news-alclad-ii/

Looks like RAF and possibly US (is that Interior Green on the right side?) WWII colours on display. Plus, the label says Made In England! Humbrol in a different bottle? Nothing on their web site yet...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just received their US interior green. It smells quite like nail varnish remover (acetone) and there is a ball inside to help with mixing. The consistency of the paint is almost like water, so I'd say ready for airbrushing but unusable for brush painting (it's well specified on the bottle that it's airbrush-ready paint). Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to give it a try this weekend.

Edit: sorry not to be able to tell how these work, I got sick and can't paint for now

Edited by PattheCat

Now available in the UK from their web site or eBay Store. Just ordered 3 bottles to try on the Airfix Lancaster.

http://www.alclad2-online.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=1&SUB=8&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=5&SUPPLIERSCHOICE=&RNZ=262915&VIEWMODE=1

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/alclad2lacquers?_rdc=1

Has anybody used these new Alclad enamels much yet?

Just recently been turned on to Alclads' range of metal lacquers and thinking that some quick drying airbrush ready enamels would be a nice addition to my arsenal.

Hello. Just tried out the US interior green.
Airbrush: H&S Evolution Silverline 0.2 mm needle
Sparmax compressor with tank and gauge, working pressure 18 psi.
Usual paint mix I can compare it with: Humbrol enamel mixed with plain white/mineral spirits at a thinner/paint ratio between 60/40 and 67/33
Used straight from the bottle on a Tamiya Mustang, on already (badly) painted areas and bare plastic.
Please note that I have very limited experience with my new dual action airbrush - it's just the second kit I'm painting with it(I regularly used an airbrush for years but it was 30+ years ago, an external mix model first and then a single action Badger 200).
Also, I won't comment on colour accuracy, I'll just say that FOR ME it fits the bill.

So, here is my experience, for what it's worth:
After a good shake, appeared thicker than at first sight, some may prefer to thin it further (lightly).
Comes out and applies evenly,very fine grain, following passes can be done on a still wet coat (paint drying too fast is somewhat of a problem with my usual mix).
So, dries fast but not too fast/as fast as usual mix.
Tried small overspray, levelled fine.
I needed to apply three (four at the max) light coats for perfect coverage (over bare plastic or matte black).
Needs to be regularly shaked (metal ball in the bottle, I'm slow and I refill the airbrush cup with very small quantities of paint, so it has time to settle a bit in the bottle).
No clogging or dried paint on needle/nozzle tip.
Airbrush cleaned with white spirits (spraying plus backflush). Very small amount of smallish pigment lumps stayed in the cup.

Edit: after some more use, small lumps of paint stay at the bottom of the airbrush cup (pigments aggregate?) and many small particles come out when spraying thinner to clean the airbrush. No visible effect on the painting results, only spotted when cleaning.
Seems to have more bite than my usual mix, more paint than usual adhered to the inside of the nozzle (not at the tip). Also sticked a bit more to the inside of the cup.

Final thoughts:
When drying, it smells like good old true enamel (for about 40 hours, then seems fully cured)
I hope they will offer a version usable with brush Edit: used mixed with humbrol black enamel and thinned with white spirit for a light wash/shading, without ill effects.
A keeper, even if it's pricey (8.50 € for a 30 ml bottle).

Edited by PattheCat

• 1 year later...

I have been trying these recently and have found them to be excellent. These days I much prefer to get straight to the building and painting and skip the faffing that may be involved with preparing mixtures. I had been using Revell Aqua Color but no matter how scientific the mix ratios the results were always a bit hit and miss while the ratio of painting time to preparation, cleaning and recovery was always 30/70. I also tried Vallejo Model Air but have been struggling with them a little, possibly because they're a little thick straight from the bottle. Although I was reluctant to return to enamel due to the fumes I had always had good results with this type of paint and found them far more durable than acrylic. I had recently tried the AK Xtreme Metals and found them to be excellent straight out of the bottle with relatively easy clean up afterwards. So I picked up a set of Mil Spec to see if I would have a similar experience. I have. They spray brilliantly straight from the bottle, require little attention while sat in the airbrush save for the occasional swab around the tip with an IPA soacked cotton bud, while the laydown and coverage is clean and even. Drying time is not as fast as with acrylic but far faster than with my home-mixed enamels of yesteryear. I've so far used one of the greys, the black, the white and a mixture of the latter and the results have all been the same. Cleanup is a relatively quick affair with a blast of thinner (my AK Xtreme Thinner works fine for these) and a wipe down of the cup and nozzle with a piece of paper towel soaked in the same. The only downside for me is the fumes but then I have my spray booth, mask and glasses for those. If I could find the same colours as my current acrylics these would become my paint of choice for airbrushing.

• 4 weeks later...