It's a Victor!

DAG058

3 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting as the K2 has shorter outer wings

The design of the outer panels will allow for the cropped tips on the K. 2 with no additional work.  The fin bullet is also a separate part, which also suggests a K. 2 is in the offing as the bullet on those was shorter and blunter than the bomber and SR aircraft.

Airfix also credit Andre Tempest and crew on the instructions, current custodian of XL231 at Elvington, and not to include markings in the kit for her in her earlier life might, to some, seem a bit invidious unless she's planned for a future issue of the kit.  She can be modelled as a camouflaged Blue Steel carrier simply by changing the serial numbers from XL189 and using the remainder of her markings.  ('189 also deserves replicating as Bob Tuxford's jet on Black Buck 1 in which he won his AFC.)

i've got one question though: to me the supernumary seat (crew chiefs, instructor, trapper, etc for the use by) seems too close to the door.  Should this be further over towards the starboard side, closer behind the co-pilot's seat?

Indeed Dave but as is mentioned above the wing tips and ailerons (together) are separate parts. I just think it is a shame that the fin root hasn't been moulded separately too as then virtually all marks could be modelled.

Edited by avro683
Extra text

10 hours ago, stever219 said:

The design of the outer panels will allow for the cropped tips on the K. 2 with no additional work.  The fin bullet is also a separate part, which also suggests a K. 2 is in the offing as the bullet on those was shorter and blunter than the bomber and SR aircraft.

Airfix also credit Andre Tempest and crew on the instructions, current custodian of XL231 at Elvington, and not to include markings in the kit for her in her earlier life might, to some, seem a bit invidious unless she's planned for a future issue of the kit.  She can be modelled as a camouflaged Blue Steel carrier simply by changing the serial numbers from XL189 and using the remainder of her markings.  ('189 also deserves replicating as Bob Tuxford's jet on Black Buck 1 in which he won his AFC.)

i've got one question though: to me the supernumary seat (crew chiefs, instructor, trapper, etc for the use by) seems too close to the door.  Should this be further over towards the starboard side, closer behind the co-pilot's seat?

I was wondering the same thing.

On 11/12/2016 at 10:37 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting as the K2 has shorter outer wings

Hi Dave, I'm aware of that (I've been lucky enough to help drive XL231) but the kit tooling allows for the differences.

The 6th seat is as Airfix depict, when you spin it around to face forwards, there are a very convenient set of foot rests between the front seats.

Bob

• Like 2

On 11/12/2016 at 10:53 PM, stever219 said:

The fin bullet is also a separate part, which also suggests a K. 2 is in the offing as the bullet on those was shorter and blunter than the bomber and SR aircraft.

Are you sure on that first point, I can't find any references to show or mention that?  During the K.2s' service life it did gain the RWR in the bullet nose and tail, but that slightly lengthened and sharpened the outline.

The 6th seat is just right, it was rotatable and moveable on rails centrally mounted on the cabin floor, and also acted as an assisted rear crew escape seat with an inflatable cushion and a sprung backrest to force the occupant out and through the door.

• Like 1

I too have been studying the kit and wondering how and if I should do a conversion to do a K.2 as they are just that little more interesting and colourful.

I have the Bentley plans, I paid Arthur Bentley to print me a full set at 1/72 a few years ago, and I have a few books on the Victor, so to make up the parts required would not be too difficult.

However I decided to ask a 'little birdie' IF the K.2 would follow at some point and I have had a tweet back to say that it will follow.

So I cannot say any more, but now I know that I can build the one I have as it is, as it were, I have now chosen a scheme and will post that up as and when I get to the build.

So let us get on with the ones we have the K.2 will follow,  too would like a K.1 but cannot be bothered to do all the work required for that version, and cannot see Airfix doing that as has been said before it would mean almost a complete new kit.

On a side I have now got AIM B.2 conversion for the Valiant, so now I can build my Valiant as I have always wanted to do it as a B.2 (have a 'what if' scheme for that in mind) Now I really hope that a NEW Vulcan will follow in a few years.

Thanks Airfix for the great new Victor and other kits........

Ali

• Like 1

Oh wow.  I suspected a K.2 in the future but great 'news' all the same,  means this one can be white and I'll still get a camo one. 

I have received my Victor and it is brilliant, thank you Airfix! i have wanted to build a white 139 Sqn Blue Steel aircraft for a very long time, so OOB is perfect for me.

One small point, the box refers to it as a "B.Mk.2". I thought that the "Mk" was dropped from designations post-WW2, should it not be just a "B2"? Call me pedantic...

Richard in NZ

• Like 1

'Mk' was still in use during that period. 

Many manuals/APs of the time used Mk, as in say a Hunter F.6 being referred to as an F Mk.6

I've seen Mk used well into the 1970s, on Phantom, Harrier and Jaguar APs.

It is a brilliant kit, as you say!

Edited by 71chally

10 hours ago, rholland said:

I have received my Victor and it is brilliant, thank you Airfix! i have wanted to build a white 139 Sqn Blue Steel aircraft for a very long time, so OOB is perfect for me.

One small point, the box refers to it as a "B.Mk.2". I thought that the "Mk" was dropped from designations post-WW2, should it not be just a "B2"? Call me pedantic...

Richard in NZ

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

'Mk' was still in use during that period. 

Many manuals/APs of the time used Mk, as in say a Hunter F.6 being referred to as an F Mk.6

I've seen Mk used well into the 1970s, on Phantom, Harrier and Jaguar APs.

It is a brilliant kit, as you say!

Officially, it is still the proper nomenclature however, you'd be hard pressed to ever find it being used these days.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

New boxing/variant expected in September 2018 - ref. A12009 - Handley Page Victor K.2

Schemes:

• 1) XL231 Lusty Lindy
  • 2) XH669 – Black Buck Raids
  • 3) 543 Squadron Lima Airport Peru 1971

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/handley-page-victor-k-2-1-72.html

Box art 

A12009.1.jpg

002.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Lovely stuff, and nice to see an SR.2 option in the box, including the underwing tank mounted air samplers.

Yep - had to be - couldn't let the old Squadron be forgotten.  

Now you all know what the bomb bay doors and full bomb bay detail are for.  The current bomb bay airflow deflectors in the kit are incorrect for the SR.2 as we had "gauze" (perforated) type.  That will up to the aftermarket peeps. 

As I understand it there will be a full Day Crate, but no Night Crate, and two bomb bay fuel tanks in the SR.2 kit.

Dennis

• Like 2

A12009.1.jpg

Courtesy of Airfix.com

As Tanmodel have said that they are producing a Buccaneer in 48th & 72nd I can't see Airfix doing it, however I was spectacularly wrong with my Hunter prediction!

Edited by 71chally

Shouldn't be too much of a surprise as we've all seen the evidence in the B.2 mouldings - just a matter of time.

Hopefully there will be a Bucc coming along!

Nice box art, very inspiring and atmospheric but a few oddities in the accuracy stakes.

At the risk of being slated for "slamming the kit" before it's been seen (!)The intake colour does not extend forward of the inboard straightening vane, the blade antenna on top of the fin between the tail-planes is not present on K.2s (but the mounting plinth is - curiously not visible here) there seems to be no RWR fairing on the fin bullet and there seems to be bumps or warts on the tail-cone. I know this is only artwork but previously it has proven to be representative of the actual kit. Hope I'm wrong this time or Airfix correct it. Either way, none of the above is at all difficult to correct during build so all in all, it should be good!

• Greg B locked this topic
  • Greg B unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

More: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/latest-airfix-kit-range-to-start-new-year

Handley Page Victor K.2 – 1/72nd scale

L_New_Airfix_Handley_Page_Victor_K2_A120

Spectacular box artwork marks the announcement of the new Victor K.2 tanker

For many enthusiasts, the mighty Handley Page Victor is without doubt one of the most distinctive post war aircraft to see RAF service – it could also be argued that the aircraft does not usually enjoy the plaudits it undoubtedly deserves. As the last of Britain’s trio of Cold War V-Bombers to enter service, the Victor was arguably the most successful, remaining in RAF service for an impressive 35 years, even overshadowing the more famous Avro Vulcan. The final K.2 versions were converted to provide the RAF with an effective air-to-air refuelling capability and saw service through both the Falklands Conflict and the Gulf War of 1990.

With its huge crescent wing and high T-tail, the Victor looks as if it would not be out of place in an episode of Thunderbirds, however this radical design marked an exceptionally capable aeroplane, which proved adaptable enough to take on tasks for which it was not originally intended. Originally conceived as a conventional nuclear capable bomber, the Victor became part of Britain’s primary nuclear deterrent force whilst modified to carry the Blue Steel stand-off nuclear missile and was also used as an extremely effective reconnaissance platform (B(SR).2) and airborne tanker, capable of providing air-to-air-refuelling support for the RAF’s front line fighter and strike force.

M_New_Airfix_Handley_Page_Victor_K2_A120

XL231 ‘Lusty Lindy’ is one of the scheme options included with this kit

This latest release of the superb Victor kit (A12009) includes additional parts to build one of the nine B(SR).2 strategic reconnaissance variants of the aircraft, which made use of the aircraft’s cavernous bomb bay to include an impressive array of camera equipment, as well as up to 108 photo-flares to illuminate the target, if required. The kit also includes parts to make a K.2 tanker and includes decal options to finish your model as the Yorkshire Air Museum’s famous Victor K.2 XL231 ‘Lusty Lindy’.

V.P.