It's a Victor!

DAG058

I'm guessing by the lack of photos that Airfix had no examples of the Victor or it's sprues on display? I'm waiting the see the situation on the bomb bay doors as mine will be going straight in for a B1 conversion 

cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

Just had a look on the Airfix website and the painting instructions indicate that both jets were Blue Steel carriers.  If you don't want to wait for a straight B. Mk. 2 boxing (must be on the cards) the closed doors moulding from an Airfix Valiant might give you a starting point: the plastic's thick enough to take some hacking about if the external radius is wrong.  As both types were, to a certain extent,  designed around Blue Danube they may not be far off shape-wise.

28 minutes ago, Richard123 said:

Checked the sprues in the box and I couldn't find a bomb door part other than the Blue Steel type.

Thanks for that confirmation, and apologies to WV908 for suggesting otherwise.

That does seem a bit of a negative not to have two parts that represent the basic shape of the aircraft without a weapon.

On that alone I will have to give this initial boxing a miss.  Maybe aftermarket will step up and provide doors, but then we are talking £70 ish for the model.

BTW, are there any good shots showing the underside of a Blue Steel carrier but without the weapon?

Edited by 71chally

2 hours ago, Richard123 said:

Checked the sprues in the box and I couldn't find a bomb door part other than the Blue Steel type.

Thanks for the info, that seems a very disappointing compromise for what is a fairly expensive kit. I plan on having the doors open so I can only hope that the 'open' option is part of the normal internal bay structure. 

Cheers,

WV908

I'd wait for the final boxing. I  looked through the box with the the help of one of the Airfix people and neither of us could find the normal bomb doors. I live in hope they were just missing from that box otherwise it looks like we're looking at a wait for a standard bomber.

I hope they don't release alternate parts as they did for the Valiant.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting those photos.  They look fantastic.  I'll definitely be getting a Blue Steel version.  Odd they didn't include bomb doors, unlike the Vulcan, but it's a Blue Steel deliverer that's my priority build so I'm happy.  

So any sight or sound of these, the due date was last Thursday after slipping from the end of October, no new due date, still says Pre-order and no change in order status on account or email. So is it a couple of days slippage whilst the orders are checked and processed, or a longer delay due to the manufacturer ?

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:25 PM, 593jones said:

Just wait for the aftermarket full bomb load and carriers.  Bring it on!!

Shouldn't have to. That will make an already very expensive kit even more expensive.  If Airfix are going to produce the kit as a non-Blue Steel version then these items should be included in the basic kit. I already cancelled my pre order due to the price rise. Adding all that aftermarket frippery could easily put another £30+ on the model. Not an option for me I'm afraid. I'll have to wait and see if the price drops over time before I can afford even the basic kit

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

On 13 November 2016 at 9:47 AM, 71chally said:

I think that was confirmed a while back, certainly built up shots show it with the bomb doors fitted and open, and the sprues we can see show the operating rams and open wind deflector petals.

I'm hoping for an Airfix accessory pack a la Valiant to do a 543 Sqn Victor SR.2, but maybe with a full pallet and something akin to cameras behind the windows. Circa shiny camo era. 

Is it safe to assume the follow-on will be a K.2 three-point tanker? Or is the bet on a detailed bomb bay, with frames etc. to go with a V-bomber vehicle support set?

Mostly wishful thinking, I know

Tony

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

For an SR Victor, wouldn't it be worth using the glazing and doors from the PR Valiant?

Different set up for a start, the Victor had a photo crate installed in the bomb bay which required the doors were opened for the cameras to operate.

Whether a Valiant part would fit a Victor is an interesting one, they are shaped quite differently to the rear, but might be worth a try