It's a Victor!

DAG058

Just my take, I've never paid that much for a kit and I don't intend to, anyone who spends £70 on a Hase P-3 must be barking, I have 2 in the loft at less than £15 each.

£55 is top money for a 1/72 Airfix kit so it really needs to deliver, Japanese grade plastic and fit, and far more subtle panel lines than of recent times. The CADs always look better than the released kit. I would expect at least 3 decal options, got 4 with their Valiant & Canberra kits.

I think the notion that it is British money is posibly a bit old fashioned in this multi-national world of manufacturer ownership and kit production .

• Like 2

I was hoping for a tanker option. Also a hemp decal option would have been good.

I suspect a tanker version will follow at some stage. Personally I prefer the marks that were designed to deliver instant sunshine.

• Like 3

Airdecal sheet 7212 has markings for B2s of 139 and 100 squadron aircraft in white. It also has markings for B1As from 57, 15, 10 and 55 squadrons. All the national markings are of the pale variety. I'll be amazed if the aftermarket don't come up with a B1 conversion in the future. My poor, poor wallet (poor being the operative word at this rate).

• Like 1

Just my take, I've never paid that much for a kit and I don't intend to, anyone who spends £70 on a Hase P-3 must be barking, I have 2 in the loft at less than £15 each.

£55 is top money for a 1/72 Airfix kit so it really needs to deliver, Japanese grade plastic and fit, and far more subtle panel lines than of recent times. The CADs always look better than the released kit. I would expect at least 3 decal options, got 4 with their Valiant & Canberra kits.

I think the notion that it is British money is posibly a bit old fashioned in this multi-national world of manufacturer ownership and kit production .

Just seen a Revell Halifax on Amazon, a snip at a mere £167.

• Like 3

I can't see anything not to like. As for decal options you got the majority of stuff available for the version given covered outside of serial numbers And Sqn badges perhaps but many where like this.

You could easily make other version without Airfix providing more decals and putting the price up. There are already loads of decals out there for the victor B2

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 3

Maybe all Xtradecal (other manufacturers available) need to do is a small sheet containing only squadron badges with supplemental serials?

Trevor

I reckon they'd be mad not to. They didn't waste much time with the Shackleton of JP3.

I think you'll find a K.2 will be coming along in due course. Not too fussed about the markings as I'll be using the lovely Airdecal set which includes the Wittering Lion and 543 squadron markings for an SR.2, which I'll definitely be doing too. Plenty of options for this one, might even go for an early B.2 with the smaller fin mounted ECM cooling intake and no Kuchemann 'carrots' on the wings plus I have a Flight Path B.1 conversion set crying out to be used too.......just looking forward to getting hold of a test shot....

• Like 4

Oh my, aren't we special! 'We' get to snag a 'test-shot'! Of course a test-shot would be wasted on me, as it would take me long after the first and second production runs had finished on the kit before I finally got it finished, but that's beside the point*! I want one, now!

Regards,

Jason

*In fact, by the time I had this rather large kit built, the rusting moulds would probably have been long-retired and were being used as doorstops at a meteorological station on the South Georgia Islands.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 5

When I was thinking of 4 kit decal options, one of them would be an SR.2.

In my mind was early 100 sqn all white with no Kuchman carrots/underwing tanks, 232 OCU camo B.2, 139 Sqn camo B.2R (preferably XL513) and a 543 sqn SR.2 - I can but dream and already spent £220 in my mind!

Be nice if there was an SR.2 extra kit, with the photo crate and the later tank mounted samplers.

Edited by 71chally

Just to set the record straight - I never said that I was unhappy or for that matter ungrateful.
It's just that a Wittering Wing 'service' example (IMO) would have been a better choice than a 'Plain Jane' training aircraft.
Yes - there are AM decals around, however who wants to spend the extra money when all that one 'may' use is a pair of small yellow lions.

I applaud the Airfix research department for taking the bold steps they have with this kit, however I just cannot understand why they could choose scheme B when the obvious choice would have been a Wittering Lion example. I mean besides XL513, how many other choices are there for a BS armed Victor?

I'll pipe down a tad now - standing by to cop the fall-out!

Cheers.. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

Just to set the record straight - I never said that I was unhappy or for that matter ungrateful.

It's just that a Wittering Wing 'service' example (IMO) would have been a better choice than a 'Plain Jane' training aircraft.

Yes - there are AM decals around, however who wants to spend the extra money when all that one 'may' use is a pair of small yellow lions.

I applaud the Airfix research department for taking the bold steps they have with this kit, however I just cannot understand why they could choose scheme B when the obvious choice would have been a Wittering Lion example. I mean besides XL513, how many other choices are there for a BS armed Victor?

I'll pipe down a tad now - standing by the cop the fall-out!

Cheers.. Dave.

The "Plain Jane" Training Aircraft is a fully operational aircraft used by an operational training unit - its exactly the same scheme as the rest of the operational fleet. If you look at the profile of XL189, it is carrying a Blue Steel, the VTF taught the delivery techniques for that weapon.

I concur that the choice lacks a splash of colour but unfortunately that was par for the course when centralised servicing was in force. Once the RAF started allocating aircraft to Squadrons again, that aircraft could be allocated to any unit that required it be it training unit or Squadron.

FWIW, I too wish that Airfix had found a camouflaged aircraft with an extra splash of colour.

Edited by Wez

Personally I am happy that the kit will come with a camouflage scheme that isn't XL513. XL513 obviously had an unusual scheme but it's nice to also see what it's a deviation from. Quite a lot of the aftermarket Victor decal sets seem to have XL513 as their only camouflaged B.2, which I find frustrating. Edit: Not that I'd mind if the kit came with the XL513 scheme too, mind!

Edited by ChrisL

Oh my, aren't we special!

Special needs Jason, 'special needs'...

Off the top of my head models that could be built from this kit could include the two prototypes XH668 and XH669, (both different with XH668 having the earlier B1 style fin, simplified air intake splitter plates , nose flaps and nose NACA duct 'nostrils'), an early B.2 with small fin mounted ECM cooling intake, no refuelling probe, no under wing tanks and no 'carrots', a standard white B.2 or camo B.2/B2 (Retro) with bomb doors, larger fin ECM intake, under wing tanks and refuelling probe, a white or camo, (soft and hard edged) Mk B.2 (Blue Steel)), an early B (SR) 2 with full 'D' style markings and soft or hard camo edges with a choice of white or blue 543 sqdn shields, later B (SR) 2 with low visibilty style markings and hard edged camo and all the trials aircraft in white and/or camo such as XL513 in it's experimental camouflage scheme and a few B (SR) 2's with their air sampling cones added to the under wing tanks and XH672 with its single Red Neck SLAR pod fitted in place of the left under wing tank. A fair few to choose from but I agree it's a bit odd that they didn't include the Wittering lion on the sheet. Whatever the case I look forward to building several variations of Handley-Page's finest....

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Their own site says 'Confirmed artwork to follow - proposed liveries' ie the two schemes shown here.

It is still possible that Airfix have only revealed the two schemes so far, hopefully there might be one or two more to be added!

Might be time for the General to get on bended knee again!

• Like 2

Dear General,

how long would you say it takes from a test kit reaching you to a kit being available via Airfx's website...