Steel Sheet Haul - Tractor Unit Update!

This is 50% done. I still need some weathering done to it and need to build the trailer. So you can call this work in progress. The tractor is 95% done. Still experimenting with different weathering techniques and some more detailing, like wind deflectors for the front etc.. I'm kinda jumping between projects. so the trailer is still in the planning stages. So here are the pics of the tractor so far:

tractor_143H14_zpsbaohkm6m.jpg

tractor_143H7_zpshnwobkvs.jpg

tractor_143H17_zpsefeee87a.jpg

tractor_143H4_zpsanu30ddm.jpg

tractor_143H_air_hoses_zpsvuvqv8en.jpg

tractor_143H8_zpslzyikbu3.jpg

5th_wheel2_zps2hydkmbm.jpg

tractor_143H12_zpsbwcgx0pd.jpg

tractor_143H13_zpszwnkgjcz.jpg

tractor_143H9_zpsvn5jc5af.jpg

tractor_143H6_zpsah6ueypi.jpg

tractor_143H5_zpscbuvjvao.jpg

tractor_143H_tyres2_zpssqw6jr0s.jpg

tractor_143H3_zpsdeok3x7w.jpg

tractor_143H2_zps86nsja6n.jpg

tractor_143H1_zpsjtxewrjz.jpg

5th_wheel3_zpspvkacowa.jpg

Edited by tiking
  • Like 15

Kind of you guys. Thank you. Glad you love the build. I am mostly just tweaking the weathering. I also need to add the wind side deflectors on the front cab. And some other minor detailing.

Edited by tiking

Looks good, a friend has a 142 and you have got the rust spots bang on in the areas these cabs ho rusty!

I'm sure the corner deflectors or plastic on the truck as well if that's any use

Thanks. Hoping to get them soon.

• 1 month later...

I have been working on the trailer for the Scania 142H long based chassi for some time now. So far this is where I am. I have finally added the side wind deflectors, which I painted black. I also toned down some of the weathering on the passenger side. Still have a little toning down near the windshield as well.

The trailer was scratch built and it is 90% complete. I have to add more details and a bit more subtle weathering around the trailer. I tried to make it look somewhat outdated by design but yet have a kinda modern feel to the rest of the overall look. I decided on the mix color combo; has the trailer, had been painted unprofessionally several times during it's hard course life. Secondly, I wanted it to be different and stand out.

I am making the precast concrete slabs that will eventually be placed on the trailer when done..I am experimenting with various materials. The ones you see in the pics are made from poster boards. We will see what I end up using. The trailer has rest mounts for four precast slabs, which in turn can double up on each mount depending on thickness of the precast slab.

So I hope you like the trailer and the overall look of this tractor/trailer combo so far.

slab_haul3_zpschdnnux2.jpg

slab_haul4_zpsax0hjurb.jpg

slab_haul6_zpss7hxmbzu.jpg

slab_haul_tyres3_zpso9dket6b.jpg

slab_haul7_zpsync6995o.jpg

slab_haul_rear_end2_zps4axssgag.jpg

slab_haul_rear_end_zpsngdd4g7l.jpg

slab_haul_front_steps_zpsik250vos.jpg

----------------------------

slab_haul_scuff_zpsqqnfghk9.jpg

slab_haul_scuff2_zpsi06tg6yb.jpg

slab_haul_slabs_zps3hkuj0tg.jpg

slab_haul_slabs2_zpsbn4x52x8.jpg

slab_haul10_zps8ovyabif.jpg

slab_haul_front_end_zpsw1dubjdc.jpg

slab_haul_front_end3_zpsja8xpbh6.jpg

slab_haul11_zps7yc8l7h7.jpg

-------------------------------

slab_haul_tractor_side_deflectors_zpsqko

slab_haul_rear_end4_zpsprrjcspq.jpg

slab_haul_rear_end5_zps48xi8rrc.jpg

slab_haul_front_steps2_zpsjbphmmu6.jpg

slab_haul_tie_downs_zpstwmsbqst.jpg

slab_haul_front_end4_zpslktzgngl.jpg

slab_haul_front_end5_zpsyxzowntr.jpg

slab_haul_scuff4_zpskjsnueyk.jpg

slab_haul14_zpsmtc6nglu.jpg

slab_haul_rear_end6_zpseltk3o9w.jpg

slab_haul15_zpsz3nwtvka.jpg

slab_haul12_zps31jqn9b2.jpg

• Like 4

Just been poring over your work here as I'm a fairly new member. Have to say I'm mightily impressed by this model. That scratch built trailer is a lovely piece of work too. I take it the tractor is a kit then? You have an incredible eye for detail and knowing how things should look. As someone else already said ... in a different setting this couldn't be distinguished from the real thing and I agree. I think that's about as good a compliment as a modeller can get.

Frank

Just been poring over your work here as I'm a fairly new member. Have to say I'm mightily impressed by this model. That scratch built trailer is a lovely piece of work too. I take it the tractor is a kit then? You have an incredible eye for detail and knowing how things should look. As someone else already said ... in a different setting this couldn't be distinguished from the real thing and I agree. I think that's about as good a compliment as a modeller can get.

Frank

Very kind of u Frank. I am still working on it. More detailing and a little more weathering in certain places.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Here are the some pics of what was done to the trailer since the last time I posted. As mention before, I had removed the electrical box and support stands to the front of the trailer. I also added a fire extinguisher. Instead of concrete slabs I decided to go with steel slabs, Only two. I think I will build a third sheet. Why steel? Well. I saw a haul with several large steel plates being transported in a similar manner and thought I would go for the 'not-so-normal' look, instead. You know me. Different is my middle name. I know there are standard trailers for concrete slabs and steel plates and slabs. But I found out that certain companies, in rare instances, use by any means necessary, quick and unconventional methods in transporting goods, if time was of an essence. I too have seen weird setups that just proves to me that transport methods do differ. Now, if they do not adhere to the EU regulation code; then that's another issue all together.

The sheet of steel were made from cardboard. The chain tensioners were scratch built. I am contemplating building another short base tractor 2x4 tractor for this trailer. I already have one in mind. Not too sure. But I will build it and see if it suits it better. If not, I will stick to the one I already have.

------------------------

steel_slab_haul15_zpsy2l2hqob.jpg
steel_slab_haul14_zpsqxiskhbd.jpg
steel_slab_haul13_zpshrlgzngv.jpg
steel_slab_haul12_zps9hhbicnl.jpg
steel_slab_haul11_zps7r6n1s9m.jpg
steel_slab_haul10_zpskjbm7200.jpg
steel_slab_haul9_zpsu43hgzmj.jpg
steel_slab_haul8_zps2evd6bga.jpg
steel_slab_haul6a_zpssxeq5tng.jpg
steel_slab_haul7_zps1s5rt0sm.jpg
steel_slab_haul6_zpsqyrmjv5d.jpg