1/72nd Italeri Short Stirling Mk.1 R9358 BU-A, 214 squadron....

I got quite a few messages asking about what was involved in the cockpit detailing and what was wrong with the kit so....

Basically,

Scratch-built new side wall ribbing detail

Added missing sidewall support beams

New re-sized first pilots seat armour plate

Raised the ox bottle on a new plinth and re-positioned the bottle forward

Card scratched instrument console panels and flooring

Added the beam box to the floor under wireless table

Added reading lamp and tools to nav table

Removed fictitious extra bulkhead and re-positioned stowage lockers

Moved the radio set to the correct position, (ie not hanging over the nav's table !)

Removed 'stove'..! and replaced with stowage unit.

Re-positioned rear crew member seats

Added blackout curtains to main windows

New bomb-aimers compartment detailing, ribs and bomb sight added

Replaced fuselage heating pipe as the kit parts are incorrect, too thin, fictitious ribbing, and enter and leave the cockpit in the wrong locations.

Added missing radio equipment on the rear cockpit side walls

Several other small detail enhancements...a fair bit of this is easily seen through the big cockpit glazing for a change...

None of it possible without John's help, thanks old chap !

Main points, (this is before final weathering and highlighting.).

DSC_0223_zpsvabwhkts.jpg

Cheers for looking and thanks for all the interest, :cheers:

Melchie...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3

Thanks adt, I really wanted to add more to the wireless operators station, (especially electrical wiring and control surface lines but you have to draw the line somewhere and weigh it up against what can actually be seen...in this case, zero ! the kit is quite demanding enough as is without making it worse plus I had to get it done in time for SMW....

Andy I am not sure why I keep missing RFI...

(OK that's a lie, if I don't look I won't get any more doses of despair) :(

But having digressed (one time so far) I must tell you just how good this model is to the observer

It and all the other Bomber Command models were superb and did Bill Nicholl's memory proud

The work you have done takes it away from Italeri's remit and just says The General Built Me to the willing world

All that rubbing down to reach the Stirling inside was well worth it ;)

A real beauty

in other associated news

It was nice to see the Stirling Projects artefacts, It'll be nice if they do continue the association with the BC SIG and carry on exhibiting

I'll buy a mug, maybe from Cosford if the chance arises

Thanks Bill, banter aside I really appreciate your thoughts. We made the effort to get as many of them on the table as possible with only one falling to enemy action, (well OK it fell off his work bench) so it was a good effort all round to commemorate an iconic piece of our aviation heritage. Thanks for the mention of Bill Nichols too, it was an important part of proceedings. Having so much space at the show meant that we could have people all around the tables without shouting over each other which made for a refreshing change.

After all the sanding I think it scales out at about 1/73th scale now but near enough for everyday use. We certainly will be keeping strong ties with John and the project and hopefully, depending on commitments the team will be joining us at future events. I'm going to plan another visit to Alconbury, the home of the Stirling Aircraft Project next year if you're interested in toddling along...

• Like 1

It was nice to see the Stirling Projects artefacts, It'll be nice if they do continue the association with the BC SIG and carry on exhibiting

I'll buy a mug, maybe from Cosford if the chance arises

Thanks Bill for the kind comments

Unfortunately we won't be at Cosford, but you are more than welcome to visit us (I think the General is organising a trip in the New Year). If not and you're still interested in buying a mug, PM me and we can sort out the details :)

John

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

General, what an excellent job. I live in the house that had its roof taken off by BUA, The Saint, when it crashed leaving Chedburgh. Not having modelled for a year or two I have now bought the Italeri kit and intend to build my own BUA to go with other bits of research I have collected relating to its demise. Having joined the forum I am now looking to sourcing correct decals etc. I will be referring back to your post regularly although I suspect my effort will be closer to out of the box. Again brilliant job, well done.

• Like 1

Thank's for that SB, if there's anything you need to know about tackling the kit then please feel free to ask away, only too pleased to help.

Regarding the crash, well that's amazing, quite some history attached to your place as you probably know and it makes for a very sobering story. I'm hoping to organise another trip to the Stirling Project in the near future and you're more than welcome to join us if you're free, John may well have some more information on the incident....

It is indeed a sobering story and amazing heroism shown by those who returned to the burning aircraft to get the mid gunner out. I have various station records and logs along with a 1970s magazine article about the crash but am still searching for other information to fill the gaps. Thank you for the invite to the Stirling Project, I would really like that. Am currently working up the courage to start the kit.

• Like 1

That's an absolutely stunning looking Sterling and the amount of work you have put in has certainly paid off. I particularly like the application of Night.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, your comments are very much appreciated. Meatbox, the 'Night' has to be highlighted or else it's just too boring, the real things got pretty worn and dusty very quickly so I thought that was the best way to go with the model.....

SB, As you say an amazing act of heroism, one of so many at that harrowing time, it's just a shame that all such acts can't be recorded for us to appreciate the fantastic sacrifice these brave young men made for us all. The more listen to people who were there and read on the subject the more in awe I am of their courage and fortitude in dealing with seemingly impossible situations. It would be interesting to look through the information you have. (I'll pm you regarding the visit a bit nearer the time).

Am currently working up the courage to start the kit.

Just dive in head first...and enjoy yourself.....

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, your comments are very much appreciated. Meatbox, the 'Night' has to be highlighted or else it's just too boring, the real things got pretty worn and dusty very quickly so I thought that was the best way to go with the model.....

SB, As you say an amazing act of heroism, one of so many at that harrowing time, it's just a shame that all such acts can't be recorded for us to appreciate the fantastic sacrifice these brave young men made for us all. The more listen to people who were there and read on the subject the more in awe I am of their courage and fortitude in dealing with seemingly impossible situations. It would be interesting to look through the information you have. (I'll pm you regarding the visit a bit nearer the time).

Just dive in head first...and enjoy yourself.....

Thanks General, as it has been a bit of time since I last modelled I have bought a 72 scale Hurricane to practice on before I dive into the Stirling. Also I have located the decal set for BUA.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...