1/72 - Saab J32B/E Lansen by Tarangus - released

Homebee

After the 1/48th model ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234911361-saab-a32a-lansen/ ) Tarangus is to release a 1/72nd Saab J32B/E Lansen kit - ref.TA7202

Source: http://www.tarangus.se/2015/11/05/tarangus-to-release-saab-j32be-lansen-in-172-and-scottish-aviation-bulldog-sk-61-in-148/

Box art

Lansen_zpsmb0srvf2.jpg

Ahead of the Scale Model World show in Telford, UK, the upcoming weekend, Tarangus announces the release during the first quarter of 2016 of two new kits. First up is the Saab J 32B/E Lansen fighter in 1/72 scale. The fighter version of the Lansen has never before been done in this scale.(...)

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

I built their 1/72 Tunnan and I've been waiting for the kit #72002 impatiently!

Guess I'll have to plop down a large chunk of cash, although I would hope Tarangus will price it more reasonably than their 1/48 kit (after all, the research, etc has been done).

Won't happen, I know.

Gene K

• 2 months later...

This one will be released during February. Price is set to 345 SEK, which equals about 29 GBP. It will have four different decal alternatives, however I don't know which yet.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Source: http://www.tarangus.se/2016/02/20/saab-j-32be-lansen-in-172-scale-now-available/

Saab J 32B/E Lansen in 1/72 scale now available!

February 20, 2016

Now it has arrived! The first ever kit of the fighter version of the Saab Lansen, aka “Lansen Sport”, in 1/72 scale! The kit is beautifully detailed and comes with an excellent decal sheet, as has become the trademark of Tarangus. Get it at your local hobby store!

Fil-2016-02-20-11-52-17-150x150.jpg Fil-2016-02-20-11-53-10-150x150.jpg Fil-2016-02-20-11-53-27-150x150.jpg

Fil-2016-02-20-11-53-36-150x150.jpg Fil-2016-02-20-11-53-49-150x150.jpg Fil-2016-02-20-11-54-17-150x150.jpg

Fil-2016-02-20-11-54-30-150x150.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

A bit weird that description on the instruction says "This model kit depicts the attacker version A32A Lansen" :)

BTW blueish plastic suggests that this model is of Sword origin similarly to previously released Tunnan.

Edited by Dennis_C

Nice to see some under wing stores included for the first time from Tarangus.

Otherwise it looks very much like their 1/48 scale kit just shrunk down, which is a good thing.

/Johan

Edited by flarpen

I was looking forward to this but I'm put off by the price - which seems a little excessive to me to be honest: it looks like a Sword product so why slap more than 15 euros on top of the price Sword kits normally go for?

Jay

I was looking forward to this but I'm put off by the price - which seems a little excessive to me to be honest: it looks like a Sword product so why slap more than 15 euros on top of the price Sword kits normally go for?

Jay

The Viggens were tooled by MPM/Special Hobby so I would guess that these new Lansens were as well.

The Viggens were tooled by MPM/Special Hobby so I would guess that these new Lansens were as well.

No. Tunnan in 1/72 was apparently of Sword origin as suggested by very unique bluish plastic and overall molding quality.

Lansen seems to be of the same bluish plastic. So most likely it's again Sword.

Still neither Sword nor MPM/SH origin explains Hasegawa's price tags on Tarangus models on big H :)

I wonder how Tarangus compares in price level to other manufacturers (e.g. Czech ones and Tamigawa) in Sweden?

Edited by Dennis_C

Still neither Sword nor MPM/SH origin explains Hasegawa's price tags on Tarangus models on big H :)

I wonder how Tarangus compares in price level to other manufacturers (e.g. Czech ones and Tamigawa) in Sweden?

Prices in Sweden are about the same as in the UK - both on Tarangus models and on other kits. When the pound was weaker a few years ago, I used to buy kits from Hannant's, but nowadays prices are often about exactly the same except for Airfix that normally are cheaper in the UK.

The new Lansen is priced 29.99 at Hannants (although price now is reduced to 26.99), which equals SEK 355 in today's exchange rate. Price in Sweden is SEK 345.

Tarangus is an extremely small company, consisting of two people that has this as their hobby. Every krona that they earn on these models are invested in their future kits. Also remember that Sweden is a very small home market - and although the interest of Swedish subjects is surprisingly big in the modelling world, an investment in a new Lansen, Tunnan or even a Viggen is far from a safe success. Editions are therefore extremely limited - they cannot afford a large stock, and since then, price per unit is higher than for most other manufacturers. So I am rather surprised that prices are as low as they are. The same goes for Pilot Replicas, another small company driven by two enthusiasts that work for free to provide us model builders with odd Swedish subjects.
Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 6

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for a very nice explanation of what Tarangus is :thumbsup:

I really like what those two guys do and can't wait when the Lansen becomes available with large traders!

Couple of comments on the great interest to Swedish aircraft in the world as it comes from my personal experience:

First - very advance technology for the time Swedish types were introduced. Tunnan was the first European swept wing jet. Lansen had a very advance radar and electronics. Draken was a very unique double-delta winged aircraft. Viggen - unique STOL capabilities + canard scheme. Gripen - the first European 4+ gen fighter to enter service. Add requirements to serviceability by untrained staff and very short-time operational readiness. That's fascinating!!!

Second - I have great respect to Sweden for willingness to develop its own fighter aircraft for such a long period of time. UK gave up long ago, Israel, Canada, India, Italy, South Africa also tried but gave up. It's just 4 (or 5 including China - not sure if they are really independent of Russian support) countries in the world that are capable of doing that today.

Third - all Swedish aircraft - even Tunnan - are gorgeously looking aircraft. Slim (ok - excluding Tunnan) and sexy :Tasty:

Fourth - that comes from childhood. I was always excited by the look of those mysterious streamlined "J-35"s (Drakens :) ) on Plasticard boxes. And a "JA-37" in strange camo with Tre Kronor insignia in a book on aircraft history. These two looked sooo different and soooo exciting to me.

So I hope that enthusiasts from Tarangus will not give up and continue with more SAAB aircraft - in 1/72 that is SAAB 105, SAAB 91, Viggen... I really believe there is a great market for Tarangus kits - it's not just Sweden.

Best regards,

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The C was released last year by Revell in 1/72, a new tool that's somewhat underwhelming, but still better than the old Italeri. I'd rather them concentrate on other Swedish subjects...

• 3 weeks later...