Mosquito for the UK

gunpowder17

That is good news and it's just up the road from me, still looking forward to seeing there 109 so hopefully we will see it next year.

Guy

This is potentially fantastic news. I feel quite emotional. The UK is finally getting one of its own again.

But, questions, questions....

1. Which one is being restored ? There arent many candidates about.

2. I thought it was generally considered that the Avspec new-build airframes wouldnt get CAA clearance because of a change in the wing structure compared to the original (dont know the details)

I understand that Avspec's modification to the wing leading edge was an engineered solution to a number of historical issues that had made operating an airworthy mosquito difficult. This, I believe included thicker leading edge skin to improve bird strike resistance and new inspection hatches to allow visual inspection of the interior of the wing. I think that the work done by Avspec is of the highest order but not to the standards demanded by the CAA in terms of design authority and documentation.

Non of this, I believe, is insurmountable, it just might take a bit of time and money.