Humbrol Enamel Washes & Effects Over Vallejo Acrylic

Hi all, this will probably seem like a really dumb question, but I am pleading ignorance here & need some help, although I have already received some great advice on the Tools section under Paints, but was advised to re-post my question on here.

I have just completed a Dragon 1/35 Panther Ausf.A, & it has been painted in a mix of mainly Vallejo, but with some AK acrylics.

The trouble is, I really don't know if I can use enamel or oils for weathering purposes, or whether it has to be acrylic or water based. The same also goes for the gloss & matt varnishes.

I have heard various bits & pieces, some saying that if I use Klear as the gloss coat prior to decals & any washes, that enamel & or oils are ok to use, others that have said that I am ok to use Humbrol gloss & matt cote products over acrylics & then are safe to use enamel & oils for weathering & others that say that if I have used water based acrylics then I have to use the same for varnishing & weathering.

I am currently in possession of some Vallejo gloss & matt acrylic varnishes & also some Windsor & Newton acrylic gloss varnish too. Although I would prefer to use Mig washes etc. I was also gifted some Humbrol enamel washes & effects & also their matt cote, but I am really not sure as to what I can & cant use over my paint job.

I really don't want to ruin the hours of work that I have put into this project, so I am pleading for some sound advice from people way more experienced than I am.

I really look forward to any comments & help that anyone can give me.

Thanks.

I use the Winsor & Newton acrylic gloss (& the Matt) pretty exclusively and have nothing but praise for them. I use the gloss before decals & washes then Matt afterwards, it works for me.

Why not try some test runs on scrap plastic?

I use the Winsor & Newton acrylic gloss (& the Matt) pretty exclusively and have nothing but praise for them. I use the gloss before decals & washes then Matt afterwards, it works for me.

Why not try some test runs on scrap plastic?

varnishing isnt something i have had a great success with, may look for some W&N....

and I have done humbrol thinned with white spirit as a wash over vallejo acryllic, Klear and vallejo matt varnish with no ill effect