SAAB AJ37 VIGGEN 1/48 Special Hobby

MBG

Slowly I am preparing another project, the Saab AJ 37 Viggen 1/48 Special Hobby.
Painting I will perform a new set of paints for aviation Sweden's Mr.Paint.

Until then, I'm starting work on the cockpit and preparing parts. I wish it good luck myself, this is Special Hobby - beautiful in a box built into not necessarily ...

1_zpszqcjid1s.jpg
2_zpsqxb0cqwe.jpg
3_zpszbnqdlnf.jpg

To be continued ...

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Those paint are acrylic. The have own thiner, but producer suggest to used Leveling from Gunze Sangyo.

The model I built OOB based solely on what in a box. The model is designed for testing paint Mr.Paint and masking Maestro Models.

• Like 1

I picked one of these kits up at Telford, looking forward to getting stuck in at some point. Those Mr. Paint paints, what type are they? (Acrylic/Enamel etc).

Are you planning to mod the kit at all or leave it OOB?

Not sure about whether the pigment is acrylic based or not, but the carrier medium is a cellulose/lacquer type, similar or same as with Alclad. As Alex from Uschi vdr explained to me (he stocks the paint btw), just like Alclad, Mr Paint doesn't contain any resins as a binding medium. Most, if not all other paints, whether acrylic or enamels have some sort of resin binder in it which is the responsible for the thickness build-up of paints on the model. As Mr Paint doesn't have that the paint layers are exceptionally thin. I have a few of them at home, but haven't tried them myself...

J

• Like 1

Not sure about whether the pigment is acrylic based or not, but the carrier medium is a cellulose/lacquer type, similar or same as with Alclad. As Alex from Uschi vdr explained to me (he stocks the paint btw), just like Alclad, Mr Paint doesn't contain any resins as a binding medium. Most, if not all other paints, whether acrylic or enamels have some sort of resin binder in it which is the responsible for the thickness build-up of paints on the model. As Mr Paint doesn't have that the paint layers are exceptionally thin. I have a few of them at home, but haven't tried them myself...

J

Cheers J, I've been after a paint like Alclad for a while so I'll give them a try.

I can certainly recommend Mr Paint colours, they are also known as Gunze. They are super tough as well as going on thinly, and the Mr Color lacquer thinner is fantastic. Even though it seems to be the same as Tamiya's lacquer thinners, it isn't as you can use it to remove any type of paint from most transparent parts with out any ill effects. Obviously try it on a piece of the sprue first if you are going to try this, but this has saved a few canopies. The only downside is the availability in some countries, as they don't allow importation

hope this helps

Don't confuse Mr Paint with Mr Color. Mr Color is the lacquer based paint line of GSI/Gunze Sangyo (who also do the Mr Hobby line of water based acrylics). Mr Paint is a totally unrelated, different and relatively new brand from Slovakia.

J

• 2 weeks later...