BBC reporting investigation into whether the Vulcan was rolled

JohnT

Its all a load of cr**p it didn't happen the video I saw was photos stitched together! the last couple of shots of the aircraft coming out the roll and returning to level flight just dosn't look right the angle is all wrong !

The Vulcan was a nimble aircraft with lots of power and a big lift wing and well capable of rolls and loops and may have been practised during its service life but I don't think the crew would put there daily jobs on the line for a jolly !!!

Herd on the radio today that the CAA are investigating !

I hope the person who posted the video realises what he has started and the CAA find it a hoax and maybe a stern chat from the police or CAA will make them realise what sort of trouble this causes!!

Rant over !!

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 5

A pilot who carries out a manoeuvre beyond the cleared limits and the aircraft crashes is a pillock.

A pilot who carries out a manoeuvre beyond the cleared limits and the aircraft survives is...lucky there's a margin left.

Agreed - and I remember a very experienced instructor once saying to me -

" There are only operational limits if you plan to use the aeroplane again. If not, anything goes that doesn't kill you."

That sequence of time lapsed shots could be real or could easily be a Photoshop job. 'Bentwaters' - Interesting - I didn't see as much aileron deflection as I thought there would be, except right at the start. I guess I don't know Vulcans that well !

• Like 1

Sorry, have I missed something? From what I can make out it's as pointed out in a previous post; not a consecutive series of phots. I may be wrong and I'm no expert but sycophants and 'the nanny state' seem to prevail yet again.

It'll all be over by Xmas

• Like 2

Some :poo-poo: trying to make a name for themselves stitching together still photos to look like something that never happened. Someone with a bit more nouse than me will be able to extract the exif data from the photos and show that they are not consecutive shots.

My thoughts too, it looks like a stitch up, literally.

Just got back off hols and found this thread. The incident happend over Great Ponton/ Grantham area and was seen by a aviation enthusiast whom thought it was exciting to see it do the supposed roll, then he had an attack of common sense ( I call it something else ) and deciced to report it in light of the recent Hunter crash at Shoreham as he thought it irresponsible.

If it is the same date and time I saw the manouvre then what I saw was a couple of very fine wing overs after an initial short climb, ( very similar to when it takes off at airshows).

I thought it was bloody marvellous and I suspect the flight recorder will clear it up, I believe that it was what it was and not a barrel roll, as I said on the local rag website

Right or wrong I did let off my frustration at this bloke without being crude and if I am found to be wrong I will apollogise.

Interesting video. Daylight looks right but could be optical illusion the first roll looks convincing the second not so much.

Even no should not be so shocking they are quite capable of loops and rolls with out a hitch.

I wonder when the video was taken. Perhaps it was a practice for something they wanted to do at a show. As if this had been done at an airshow there must be other footage.

I'd love to know the source of the video bet it youtube !

Interesting video. Daylight looks right but could be optical illusion the first roll looks convincing the second not so much.

Even no should not be so shocking they are quite capable of loops and rolls with out a hitch.

I wonder when the video was taken. Perhaps it was a practice for something they wanted to do at a show. As if this had been done at an airshow there must be other footage.

I'd love to know the source of the video bet it youtube !

From the BBC article:

The aircraft was captured on camera by an amateur enthusiast flying over Grantham, Lincolnshire on 4 October.

As I suggested, this is not at all what I would call a 'smoking gun', certainly not in the way that a video would be, and unless anyone else comes forward and says they saw it the CAA would find it difficult to prove that the crew rolled it. In any case it is difficult to know what censure the CAA would apply as the aircraft is now permanently withdrawn from flight. Reading the CAA spokesman's comments I don't think they are likely to go into it too much.

• 4 weeks later...

Even if this series of stills did show XH558 being rolled, who's to say it wasn't taken while the aircraft was being flown by the RAF Vulcan Display Flight?