Which are your preferred on-line retailers for modelmaking supplies? (must be reasonably cheap & fast delivery)

ship69

Hello

Please can anyone recommend which are the best on-line suppliers for general purpose modelling materials here in the UK. I want to find suppliers that are both reasonably priced and which able to get stuff delivered FAST. Stocking better quality brands of equipment plus a wide range of stock will also be helpful.

E.G. Right now I need some MEK (which I have been told creates stronger bonds than regular cements), some 1mm A4 ABS sheet and some 1mm A4 styrene/HIPS sheet, and a few tools including fine hacksaw blades, a lino-cutter) etc

Many thanks

EDIT:

e.g. EMA Model Supplies can't supplies HIPS in A4 size, apparently. :^(

e.g. Out of slight desperation I have tried using various eBay merchants but quality tends to be not so good - e.g. it seems that the epoxy glue I bought was off!

Edited by ship69

Try Scale Model Shop. I buy just about everything for there.

Ah - yes they look better than I thought. I had written them off because I couldn't find "plastic sheet" nor "HIPS sheet" nor "ABS sheet" anywhere in either their menu structure or their search results!

However if you search for "styrene sheet" it turns out that they stock some Evergreen styrene after all.

Edited by ship69
  • Like 1

They also have a reward point system which comes in handy from time to time.

Does the reward system include recommending their site to newbie model-makers on forums ? It should!

Fwiw, the modern way would be to give you a discount/reward code to give to folks like me, and then BOTH of use get a reward. :^)

Gads! Can anyone suggest where I might get some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone / 2-butanone) on expedited delivery (to UK mainland)?

I cant find any at either ModelsRgo.co.uk or ScaleModelShop.co.uk ...

And I don't mean "MEK-PAK" which apparently contains Trichloroethane not MEK!

This is because someone said it was the "absolute strongest" cement. ALSO it may work better on ABS for if I upgrade to ABS instead of styrene.. [??]
Edited by ship69