My first Models in 33 Years! BoB 1/48 Airfix new tool Spitfire and Hurricane

Both fantastic builds, and looking at the progress thread, have to say you really went to town with all the extra work you put in.

That is interesting with the gloss around the gun patches, I don't think I've seen that modeled that way before. Never noticed this in period photos either, and will be keeping an eye out for that.

regards,

Jack

Thank you Jack. This well known picture gave me the idea. But maybe my interpretation is not correct.

16804377395_f0473b9b77_b.jpg

What a comeback! Amazing models, both of them and I really appreciate that restrained weathering and realistic exhausts.

At first glance, I thought that the worn away wingroot paint on the Spit looked a bit overdone, but since I've checked some period photos, i. a. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/RF-Q_Spitfire.jpg, which show a similar worn down effect. So, no objections. ;-)

A really impressive couple, these two.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim, you made my day! I am with you on the look of the worn away wing root paint looking a bit over the top. I used masking liquid applied by a brush, but should have used some foam to apply it a bit unevenly. But to see the picture you linked makes me feel better.

Very nice indeed.

Plasto

Thank you Plasto

Amazing for the first attempt after such a long gap. I started again a couple of years ago and still can't get close to a half-decent finish. These are truly impressive models.

Thanks. Trying out techniques is the way which worked for me. The painting of a model was in the past my least favored task as things always gone wrong, so I was really scared when it was time to paint these models. But painting them progressed very smoothly with little hick-ups and I loved doing it.

Hello,Basilisk- They say the good things in life are worth waiting for.Your beautiful looking builds of the 'Hurricane ' and 'Spitfire' prove that and they're a credit to you.A fantastic return to the hobby.All the best,Paul.

Paul, I didn't expect them turning out the way they did - Surprised myself.

Wow - just great your two builds. It looks like being 33 years away from the hobby makes one better!

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael. Maybe in my case.

Welcome back! :thumbsup:

Impressive work! :analintruder:

Thank you

Those are superb, interestingly, I'm currently breaking the habit of a lifetime by building both these kits together. Until now I've been strictly a "one at a time man"!

Thank you Graham. I built them together in the believe that it will be less work when airbrushing them. But I realized quickly that this isn't the case. And some tasks can get a bit repetitive and tedious when you have to do them twice in a row.

Hope you enjoyed building them as much as I enjoyed looking at them, very nice.

Cheers the Woo.

I had a great time making them. I can't wait getting started with another build.

Fantastic looking pair of builds...

Thanks. I am glad you like them.

Gorgeous!

Thank you

Beautifully done, the pair of them.

Thank you

What they all said; Fantastic pair of builds

Thank you

Thank you for sharing 2 real beauties, especially in the 75th anniversary of the battle. Considering the year span of 33 years the quality of finish shows that your skills have not been lost. When I first saw your Spitfire I thought it was 1/32, not 1/48 it looks that detailed. The Hurricane is equally stunning in its own right, again giving the appearance of a larger scale. The only thing missing is a Defiant to make it a trio.

Well done on both these two, they look amazing.

Regards Adrian

Thank you Adrian. I am looking forward to new Airfix 1/48 Defiant and definitely plan to build it. A Whirlwind would be great too, making it a nice quartet!

Excellent builds although I'm more impressed by the 33 year break. I believe you missed the Japanese "era" where it seems everyone raved about Hasegawa this, Fujimi that and shelves were piled high with their kits.

The Japanese "era" was already happening in 1982, so not really missed it.

I think I may take 33 years off if this is what happens.

It will be a long wait to find out...

Great builds!! Thanks for sharing.

It was a pleasure

What everyone else said.

Absolute pleasure to look at. Nice one!

Thanks Danyel

Stunning work! A really fantastic pair.

Tank you Daniele

I much appreciate all these comments. I have to say that the outcome of these Models was beyond my expectations. I hope I can keep it up with upcoming builds.

Cheers, Peter

Peter,

Amazing builds, just Beautiful!

I too have been away for over 25 years, and although I don't expect to be half as good as you after so long - you give me hope I may be able to produce something respectable after so long. I look forward to see your next build(s)

Cheers!

OK, I quit! (But only for 33 years, then I'll be back!) :)

Seriously, two beautiful models. Quick question - how did you like Mr. Paint colours? Can you compare them to the Gunze aqueous paints, how well they airbrush, etc. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill

You certainly not lost your touch have you!

Maybe I need a 33 year sabbatical too........

Trevor

Hello Max. Skill is maybe like a good bottle of wine, it matures over age without doing anything! But 33 years are a loong wait.

Absolutely amazing models! Love them!

Thanks Val.

Beautiful pair of the main Battle of Britain aircraft. I like the smoke effect near the exhausts.

Thank you.

Stunning models , finish , photography , everything spot on!

I am glad you like them and the pictures.

Peter,

Amazing builds, just Beautiful!

I too have been away for over 25 years, and although I don't expect to be half as good as you after so long - you give me hope I may be able to produce something respectable after so long. I look forward to see your next build(s)

Cheers!

Just get started and see what happens - you may be surprised as I have been on the outcome.

Superb.

Thanks.

what a great pair,superbly done :goodjob:

Thank you Chris.

One word: Wow!

Thanks March.

• Like 1

OK, I quit! (But only for 33 years, then I'll be back!) :)

Seriously, two beautiful models. Quick question - how did you like Mr. Paint colours? Can you compare them to the Gunze aqueous paints, how well they airbrush, etc. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill

I tried lots of paint and was hoping to use the "true" acrylics like lifecolor, Hataka, AK Interactive or Xtracrylix. But I struggled with them and only managed to airbrush Xtracrylix reasonably well. But it still needed to have the needle cleaned often.

The Mr. Paint paint on the other hand is a dream to airbrush, but it is lacquer. Gunze aqueous (and Tamiya) airbrushed nicely too and even better if thinned with Gunze lacquer thinner. But I found the paint to be very fragile and staying kind of soft to the touch which wasn't the case with Mr.Paint.

The only downside of the Mr. Paint paint is the accuracy of the colour shade with their RAF colours - I had to tweak them a little to get acceptable results.

When Airbrushing the squadron codes, I used Gunze Mr. Color which is also a lacquer and it airbrushed as nicely as the Mr. Paint paint.

I will still experiment further, but I most likely will use Mr. Paint and/or Mr. Color for future builds.

Absolutely stunning, among the best I've seen I have both of these and if I can half way as good as yours I will be happy, really nice finishing.

Thank you Steve. They are nice kits, but you have to treat them a bit like short run kits. The plastic is soft and the fit can be hit and miss.

I actually found a picture of the Heinkel He-162 I built 33 years ago!

My modelling skill went from this.

Heinkel-1982-1.jpg

To this.

X4382-154.jpg

But it has to be seen in perspective. The Frog kit was a bit crude and it was brush painted and didn't incorporate all the aftermarket parts which are so plenty full now.

But one thing is for sure. Making models now is so much more fun.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

WOW these are brilliant and hit the nail right on the head for me. They are sweet just how I like to see them. Great effort to get the camo pattern specific to the air-frame too. That's the kind of detail I appreciate trying to re create the actual look of the real article. You get the individual character that way. Really lovely work dont let it be another 3 decades you have a talent. Keep at it :)

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. I have to say that I enjoy the research as much as making the model. I experimented with lots of techniques new to me, some successful, some not so - but they all have the potential to create outstanding models.

I will certainly keeping at it.

Cheers, Peter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What a stunning pair Peter beautifully built and finished I must remember to click on folk's link's more often I missed this one when posted!

• Like 1