Embedded with the 493rd FS (New batch 15/11/15)

Alpha Delta 210

Last week saw a unique two-day assignment by the Centre of Aviation Photography (http://www.centreofaviationphotography.com/) with the 493rd Fighter Squadron, the "Grim Reapers" at RAF Lakenheath. We were emebedded with the Squadron who were perfect and patient hosts and we witnessed all the facets of Squadron life. We were also fortunate enough to witness a night launch by Strike Eagles, which was an impressive demonstration of raw power! Here are some of the many thousands of images....

DSC_2579_zpspc1gdgut.jpg

DSC_2580_zpsjlzqtfov.jpg

DSC_2601_zpsxcihqiqe.jpg

DSC_2623_zps0zqjst95.jpg

DSC_2698_zpsf215xjhp.jpg

DSC_2715_zpsgbq1rxh0.jpg

DSC_2743_zpszjpn6llr.jpg

DSC_2771_zpso5irgdfn.jpg

DSC_9739_zpsp8e8cpeu.jpg

DSC_9746_zpssgh4spwp.jpg

DSC_2897_zpslfwn7df0.jpg

DSC_9777_zpsgufqmtiz.jpg

DSC_9834_zpstw02p2zv.jpg

DSC_2988_zpslmfpqrdn.jpg

DSC_3053_zpszgv1wjs2.jpg

DSC_9929_zpsxhsa0nmq.jpg

DSC_3141_zps6cm4kpmf.jpg

DSC_9947_zpsjrrhrqyb.jpg

DSC_3174_zpsiwnwam7w.jpg

DSC_3232_zps2k0qfrfb.jpg

DSC_9971_zps3phneqwg.jpg

DSC_0001_zpskfhqo95h.jpg

DSC_0142_zpsawfmg2l8.jpg

DSC_0160_zpsbspvrdle.jpg

DSC_0224_zpsquapzqqh.jpg

DSC_3269_zpseswriw1d.jpg

DSC_3291_zpspe1bqhtt.jpg

DSC_0595a_zpswlko5dtn.jpg

DSC_0778_zpsg2vjn7mq.jpg

DSC_3427_zpswjbullzt.jpg

DSC_3486_zpsoaau0qqy.jpg

DSC_3505_zps21pvvaxi.jpg

DSC_0949_zpslf8uvkaf.jpg

DSC_0960_zpsexwobdhr.jpg

DSC_1017_zpssmaxmoox.jpg

DSC_1050_zpsrwaqpaa7.jpg

DSC_1055_zpstfqr9gns.jpg

DSC_1083_zpsqxgn0nvz.jpg

DSC_1092_zpsfx2bjajs.jpg

DSC_3588_zpsanqc921n.jpg

DSC_3597_zpsli0vd4fn.jpg

DSC_1145_zpsnsv1ycle.jpg

DSC_3627_zpss4ikxok0.jpg

DSC_3663_zpsdyd7ncs4.jpg

DSC_3673_zpsuyszna0p.jpg

DSC_3677_zpsk6uiekln.jpg

DSC_3711_zps6wkzu8ek.jpg

DSC_3722_zpsdydudxrm.jpg

DSC_3730_zpsmoybgzsc.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 32

Some truly awesome photos, thanks for sharing them. I thought that the accommodation for enlisted airmen on USAF bases would be fantastic so I was quite shocked to see this;

DSC_3232_zps2k0qfrfb.jpg

Fancy having to live `inside' the jet that you work on,......now that is dedication!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Wow.

Hi Bear13583. I'm pleased you liked them!

Love the sunset shots especially - looks like LN offered its usual three seasons-in-a-day weather as well..

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Jinxman. The visit was across two days, but on Day 2, the day started with heavy rain and ended with a beautiful sunset! Glad you liked them.

fantastic, many thanks for sharing. The patch "keep calm and keep migs" made me chuckle.

Hi PZRGREN. I'm really pleased you liked the pictures. Several of the jets had kill markings, but I didn't notice if all the pilots had the MiG patch!

Great stuff!

I'm not the world's biggest F-15 fan, but the needle on my "Envy" meter went off the scale looking at these.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Hi upnorth. I'm pleased you enjoyed them and I hope your needle has returned to idle!

Those are a truly stunning set if images. The favourites for me are the sunsets and take-offs with the contrails. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Latinbear. The sunsets are my favourites too. Unfortunately, the jets with the contrails were taking off clean, so there was no 'burner!

Some truly awesome photos, thanks for sharing them. I thought that the accommodation for enlisted airmen on USAF bases would be fantastic so I was quite shocked to see this;

Fancy having to live `inside' the jet that you work on,......now that is dedication!!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony. I like your sense of humour! Pleased you enjoyed them.

Just brilliant pic as always AD thanks for posting

you lucky so and so would love to see more btw

regards

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn. I do feel really fortunate to have been so close to the action. I took sveral thousand images, so I may post a few more up in due course!

Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing ! I'm now feeling compelled to build a Lakeneath based Eagle...

Sounds like you had a great time too

Hi Giorgio. I'm really pleased you liked the pictures and I look forward to seeing an LN Eagle soon....

Thanks for sharing these. :thumbsup:

Glad you liked them, ancient mariner.

You know what you are, don't you?..............................................A lucky, lucky person.

Excellent shots :bouncy:

Hi Steve. I certainly feel very fortunate to have had the experience. I'm pleased you enjoyed the pictures.

A fantastic set of photos thanks for showing them! I'm not an F-15 aficionado but what is going on with those intakes? Are there two different types (marks) or are they moveable?

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Lovely shots as usual that really capture the essence of life behind the scenes at a busy fighter squadron. You are very lucky to have had this opportunity and we are all the more fortunate that you have shared these images with us. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Mark

• Like 1

Wow, that must have been fantastic! Great photos.

Hi phildagreek. It sure was was an amazing experience. I'm really pleased you enjoyed the pictures.

Wow, fantastic photo's many thanks for sharing them.

Colin

Thanks for the kind words, Colin.

A fantastic set of photos thanks for showing them! I'm not an F-15 aficionado but what is going on with those intakes? Are there two different types (marks) or are they moveable?

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks for your kind words, Bob. I'm not an expert either, but found this on Wikipedia: "An intake ramp is a rectangular, plate-like device within the air intake of a jet engine, designed to generate a shock wave to aid the inlet compression process at supersonic speeds. The ramp sits at an acute angle to deflect the intake air from the longitudinal direction. At supersonic flight speeds, the deflection of the air stream creates an oblique shock wave at the forward end of the ramp. Air crossing the shock wave suddenly slows to a lower Mach number, thus increasing pressure."

Lovely shots as usual that really capture the essence of life behind the scenes at a busy fighter squadron. You are very lucky to have had this opportunity and we are all the more fortunate that you have shared these images with us. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Mark

Hi Mark. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I hoped that my pictures would capture the essence of life on the Squadron, so I'm really pleased you think so. I am still pinching myself!

Hello,Alpha Delta 210 - Thank you so much for sharing your 'Reaper Rendesvous' and excellent photographs with us all.What a wonderful experience.Up close and personal with the mighty 'Eagle' - My idea of 'Mc.Donnell Magic'!! All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Nice!

Thanks mate. Pleased you liked them.

Stunning pics

Thanks for the kind words.

Hello,Alpha Delta 210 - Thank you so much for sharing your 'Reaper Rendesvous' and excellent photographs with us all.What a wonderful experience.Up close and personal with the mighty 'Eagle' - My idea of 'Mc.Donnell Magic'!! All the best,Paul.

Thanks mcdonnell. It certainly was a wonderful experience, and I'm pleased that you enjoyed my pictures.

• Like 2

Oh wow ! What a superb set of photos, AD 210 . I'm sure we know each other ( Wethersfield, maybe ? ) Quick clue to my identity : Quonset huts !

Anyway, thanks for sharing with us what must have been a fantastic experience . . . Jealous, moi ? :cheers::poppy:

• Like 1