1/72 Italeri F-5B Freedom Fighter as Turkish Stars NF-5B

nimrod54

Thanks David. It makes a change for me not to be slapping filler around, just down to a combination of the kit and me taking some time to check the fit before hitting the glue bottle - not my usual way, I generally can't wait to get things together. :winkgrin:

As for the coke bottle tanks, I am sure that the kit ones are more than up to the job but, being a bit of a lazy modeller, I like to take the odd shortcut - refer to the above about my usual way :lol: . I just hope that the replacement parts are worth it, but whether I use the resin or the kit parts I think that I will probably add some clear plastic to form the light on the nose of the tank.

Well it looks good, I've always been a right messy builder in all honesty, the paint hides a lot for me! Phew on the fuel tanks, thought there was some big error that had escaped me (not very knowledgeable on the F-5 at all). I was thinking along similar lines regarding the tip tank lights (honest I haven't stole the idea! :D), with clear red pen plastic maybe, will have to see what I have got lying around. Anyways bring on more!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the Meteor finished so it's back on with this one, for a while at least - I still have two 1/144th Tornados to finish for the end of January. As I said in the chat pages, I have a bit of a busy time coming up so I am just trying to schedule builds in order of completion date.

I did some work around the tail area yesterday and added a set of Quickboost intakes.

CIMG3710_zpswg6mj6tx.jpg

CIMG3711_zpsx7hh2b0w.jpg

CIMG3709_zpsmbn5hlv7.jpg

CIMG3708_zpslcty1b5m.jpg

The Ozmods coke-bottle tanks arrived at the back end of last week and I must say that I was quite disappointed with them. They look to pinched in the middle and have no detail on them, there are also one or two pinholes in the castings. Because of this I decided to use the kit tanks and today added the tip lights. Those on the Turkish Stars F-5B appear to have a clear area and the very tip looks as though it is painted over, so I drilled out som clear sprue and painted the drilled area red/blue and superglued that to the tank. Once that had dried I shaped and polished them up, the tanks need a bit more of a clean along the seams but I don't think they look too bad.

Ozmods resin replacement tip tanks - very disappointing.

CIMG3707_zpsp13v76ql.jpg

The kit tanks after adding the lights.

CIMG3712_zpsnodjxyny.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks H and Rich, it was a shame about the Ozmods tanks, I have had other stuff of theirs and it is generally pretty good. I thought that it would save some time cleaning up the seams but they still needed work to the lights. I guess I chalk this one up to experience and move on, in the end the kit tanks have worked out fine.

Cracking job on the lights! Also good idea with the tails, if you do droop them they will add some good interest to the finished model. Shame about the resin tanks, maybe they might be useful for scratching resin details in future builds!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First of all let me apologise for not posting much here lately, just got a lot builds going on at the same time at the moment. So, with about a month left to go I need to crack on and wrap a couple of things up and clear the decks before I make a start in the P-47 GB.

Things have just been ticking along on this build and as well as tidying the model up some, I have finished the seats, painted the wing tip tanks along with painting and decalling the tailplanes. Putting the decals on the tailplanes has identified a possible problem with the decals - they seem to be a wee bit fragile, so I will more than likely give them a coat of Microscale's LDF to try and protect them.

DSC00242_zpsml16myo1.jpg

DSC00244_zpstf5lzxib.jpg

DSC00243_zps1ridyd51.jpg

Still plenty to be getting on with though.

• Like 3

the seats look great. I was wondering whether it would be better to paint those red strips on the elevators (and other parts), I know colour matching may be an issue?

You're right Rich, it would be better if the lines were sprayed and as you say matching could be an issue. I sprayed the tanks Humbrol 19 over a white primer and as you can see that is a touch darker than the decals, so will have to respray those - although, after looking at photos, it does seem somewhere near the actual aircraft colour. I'll have to have a look around and see if I can get a closer match, hmmm I guess another alternative could be to scan the decal sheet and try to make some masks from that, thanks for the input.

Edit

I have tried Tamiya Italian red this afternoon and whilst ​it looked promising to start with, as it has dried it seems to have darkened. I've checked my old Humbrol paint chart and maybe 60 (Scarlet) could be the one but because that is a matt finish it would need a gloss coat after.

Hi John,

compliments of the season to you and family!

Your F-5 build is displaying a lot of very impressive modelling! The seats are superbly painted and the paint scheme has all the hallmark of a nightmare in the making! That is why I stay well clear of aerobatic teams' aircraft.... Call me coward, but I do not have to worry about the red hue of the paint! Life is painful enough as it is!

It is going to be an impressive build!

JR

• Like 1

Jean,

Good to hear from you and may I offer our belated season's greetings to you and yours. We had a pleasant time in the Netherlands sharing Christmas with our Son and Daughter-in-law. I hope everything is well at the Hippo sanctuary and George is gradually showing some mutual respect by staying away from the crocodiles.

Thanks for your comments on the build. There is nothing cowardly about not tackling display team schemes because of paint matches. Had the colours I've tried been a tiny bit closer then it would have been good enough for me. As I have said, I will give 60 Scarlet a try and if that is a near match then that will do, if I have to create my own masks you will know that I reached rock-bottom.

• Like 1

Hi John,

from long experience, rock bottom keeps getting deeper and is seldom reached... It just keeps getting worse!

So I will light a candle, so that you do not have to make your own masks!!!

Have fun

JR

PS: All fine here, beside poaching and a drought in the making... as for George, of course he hasn't learnt!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

I tried to find a closer paint match at the weekend, but in the end I adopted some of Rich's advice and decided to stick with something that I already had and then to mask off for the white. Because the sheet has a white crescent moon and star as a separate decal I could spray the tail red and that would mean that only the stylised bird decal underneath will be mismatched. So I sprayed some Tamiya Italian Red over the fin and down the spine as well as the wings. I need to order some masking film now to create the masks, fortunately I have some tape of a suitable width for the stripes.

CIMG3749_zps5j5y8etb.jpg

CIMG3750_zpsop1zanrw.jpg

• Like 3

the old Turkish Stars scheme with the eagle on the belly!!

seen very often and always very nice and with the wind in your direction you could take some of their red/pink smoke color home!

legendary commentator!

great memories!

• Like 1

Hi John,

you're getting there, but the whole plane looks rather... red!

Not the easiest colour to paint, so well done!

So in the end, you ARE making your own masks.... Life sucks sometime...

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 1

Hi John,

you're getting there, but the whole plane looks rather... red!

Not the easiest colour to paint, so well done!

So in the end, you ARE making your own masks.... Life sucks sometime...

Enjoy!

JR

Yes Jean it is rather red, I am keeping my fingers crossed and just hope the white covers it OK. I made a start on the masking earlier and most of them have gone on well but I need to remake the one for the underside after a little hiccup when applying. I think I may need to split that into sections to get the fit right.

I managed to get the last of the masks sorted out last night and then today sprayed the whiite over the model. Everything looked fine until I removed the Frisket and noticed that it has left a sticky residue over the masked areas. :rant:

So after a few expletives and a couple of attempts to try and remove the residue with some washing up liquid I have decided to leave things alone until I have calmed down a bit. I will revisit it in a couple of days and hopefully I will have come up with a solution, if not then I'm afraid that this may be destined for that big plastic scrapheap in the sky. ​

Everything looks fine in these to photos.

DSC00315_zpsewwbuf60.jpg

DSC00316_zpsvu7cehsz.jpg

But in these two you can make out the residue on the red areas.

DSC00318_zpsvivpcbet.jpg

DSC00319_zpsocsoxuwy.jpg

.........1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 - keep calm, keep calm.

• Like 2

hmmm

not much of a help, but had a similar issues with cockpit glazing a short time ago,.. I left the tape on for over a year,,, I blamed that. in the end I used warm water, soap, lots of scrubbing and it looks acceptable now... but not perfect

I guess it is sticky as well, no

you could use alcohol maybe? acrylics or enamels?

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice chaps, I suspect that this is due to the technique that I used to make the masks. I scanned the decal sheet and glued that to the backing paper with a Prit-Stick and I think that the two glues may have reacted with each other. I noticed that it was quite tacky as I was applying the Frisket even though I had purchased a roll of the low-tack film.

But I have followed your advice Giorgio and pressed some kitchen towel over the sticky areas and this has reduced the tackiness, I am going to leave that a little while and then wash it over with some warm soapy water. The paint is a mix of Tamiya acrylic and Halfords car paint so I am a little wary of using anything too harsh. I am hoping that once I have reduced the stickiness I can then polish the remainder away with some micromesh pads before adding a gloss coat.

Thanks again to you both for your help.