Standby, Viper's coming down! Finished 12/02

DaveJL

Hello all,

Started this project a few years ago, it kept stalling and has been sitting at the side of the bench ever since.

Original thread

So, this GB is the perfect excuse to get it done, finally! The reason i've decided to resurrect it is because my favourite decal maker has just released these….which of course i've ordered. So i'm able to do a proper 'Top Gun' jet!

Plan is to make a dogfight diorama with the F-14 chasing down the A-4

Here's how the F-14 is at the minute:

IMG_8438_zpscl4xzccg.jpg
IMG_8439_zpsjhfdgsfv.jpg
IMG_8440_zpsq58m4lr5.jpg

And the A-4, which is yet to be started:

IMG_8441_zpsj71li3jw.jpg
IMG_8442_zpsacyhf7oa.jpg

Hope that this qualifies even if the A-4 remains to be done as it's a KUTA for the whole project!

Dave
  • Like 1

Done a bit of work this morning, not much but gets things going! Cockpit is ready as are the crew:

IMG_8443_zpszzhtkpr4.jpg

Maverick (Blue helmet) and Goose (Red helmet):

IMG_8444_zpstqgjitmx.jpg

Just needs a light dusting of pigments then the cockpit and crew will be ready to install into the forward fuselage. I've also noted that in the nearly 3 years since I started this, the ventral strakes have done a runner so will have to get a replacement set. Was also rifling through the A-4 box and noted I've started the cockpit and trimmed a few other bits. Need to source a pilot for that kit though.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Small bit of work done. Maverick and Goose are now in their office. Had to chop their legs off to get them to fit. Also used some lovely Eduard fabric seat straps from the F-4.

IMG_8446_zpsqjw1wwss.jpg

IMG_8447_zpsryvsahae.jpg

Have fitted the cockpit to the forward fuselage. Next up is to close up the front fuselage, add the landing gear doors, nose cone, coamings etc.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

A bit more done. Front fuselage all closed up and nosecone added.

IMG_8478_zpsaonhp5db.jpg

IMG_8479_zpsf3nd0r63.jpg

Just need to add the front IP and coaming then set about doing all the detailed painting before adding the canopy. The toughest part will be getting the front landing gear doors to sit flush, but I have an idea that may help.

These also arrived. Great service as always from Sprue Brothers:

IMG_8480_zpssapfffhq.jpg

Will hopefully post another update over the coming days but will be focusing on my B-52 and F-4B as time is running short for the Vietnam GB!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

Taking shape Dave

Cheers Mish. Once I get the cockpit area done it should come together quickly.

On that note, I decided to add the front landing gear doors today while I was working on my F-4. I added to cuts of styrene pipe to the landing gear bay to ensure that the doors didn't sink:

IMG_8483_zpsxwm81fgq.jpg

IMG_8484_zps1ee6zsea.jpg

The fit is poor and needed some trimming and fettling. I'll get the required filler on tomorrow all being well then I can start the clean up.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to the bench after a hectic few weeks at work (thanks weather!)

Worked on cleaning up some of the filler on the F-14 (still more to go!) as well as adding the tail fins and ventral strakes. On that note, the Steel Beach ones I bought cracked when removing them from their casting blocks so I had to revert to a set pinched from a damaged old build (hence the red paint!)

IMG_8848_zpszyucm59o.jpg

IMG_8849_zpsfwzl3apa.jpg

Also cleaned up the filler on the forward fuselage and the painting around the cockpit is nearly done, ready for the canopy to be added:

IMG_8854_zpsx7twx6ll.jpg

IMG_8853_zpsusphe8wd.jpg

In between doing that, I started the A-4. Cockpit went together in no time and was given a quick paint job:

IMG_8841_zpsftnvi7gq.jpg

IMG_8840_zpszsmuwulf.jpg

'Viper' and his seat:

IMG_8844_zpssscxipbs.jpg

The figure is from an Eduard F-4 and will need some work to fit into the seat and cockpit. Once the paint was dry, that was added to the fuselage along with the exhaust and intake:

IMG_8842_zpskb8exjal.jpg

Comparison with the F-14:

IMG_8847_zpsyppp8okd.jpg

Then the airbrakes were added and the fuselage closed up:

IMG_8850_zpszpvomobo.jpg

Wings have also been build up, with the flaps, slats and part of the landing gear added:

IMG_8845_zpsomqgu22z.jpg

IMG_8846_zpsck79fby3.jpg

Forgot how well these little Skyhawks go together. Some references:

IMG_8851_zpsccon2jze.jpg

IMG_8852_zpsukxhr2qq.jpg

More soon.

Dave

Top job on this one Dave so far. The Hasegawa Tomcat surprised me with some of its fit issues when first released but you seem to be mastering it. Those decals look a fantastic sheet of options and highly tempting.

Cheers Col.

Yes the Hasegawa 'cat takes a lot of work there's no doubt. I was actually just thinking about it, having recently just built Academy's F-4B which had little to no issues at all.

I still enjoy building them though, still the best in 1/48. AMK's future offering is exciting news.

The decals are also great, i'll only be using 2/3 options.

Dave

Brief update. Cockpit of the F-14 was finished and canopy attached. In order to get it to sit (with a good bit of pressure needed to get it to settle down) I had to leave off the frame (part B5).

IMG_8864_zpsimqekagq.jpg

IMG_8865_zpswoh0ncbb.jpg

Will need a bit of sanding on the rear where it meets the bulkhead and a bit along the sides but other than that it should be a snug fit. While that was drying, i did a bit more on the A-4. Added the horizontal stabilisers and a few other bits before adding the wings:

IMG_8866_zps3wafgz25.jpg

IMG_8867_zpsopw1hot8.jpg

The A-4 goes together very well indeed.

More soon.

Dave

A bit more done today. My first job was to attach the two fuselage sections of the F-14. One of the biggest issues with the Hasegawa F-14 is that once you join the front and rear fuselage sections, you are left with a step, either on the upper or lower fuselage. It's a bugger, but nothing that can't be cleaned up. I always prefer the step to be at the bottom as it's easier to sand, you don't lose as much detail/shape and the phoenix pallets cover most of the sanded area up. However, on this particular kit, the rear section kept sinking and would not adhere. So i added a bit of styrene tube to ensure it sat correctly:

IMG_8869_zpscxrkqab0.jpg

Step has been reduced and is no longer sinking. Clean up of course will be required. This is how it sits at the minute:

IMG_8871_zps6rg5ypok.jpg

IMG_8872_zps7afizgqi.jpg

IMG_8873_zpsb7zzhx70.jpg

Moving onto the A-4, and I added the intakes and a few other odds and sods. As you can see minimal filler is needed, the majority of this being around the front landing gear door area/join:

IMG_8874_zps6dvem7jj.jpg

IMG_8875_zps1f3ci771.jpg

IMG_8876_zpsf7uail3l.jpg

Size comparison:

IMG_8877_zpsb64vcdt8.jpg

There won't be much in the way of ordnance on these jets, both with have a TACTS (Tactical Air Combat Training System) pod added and the F-14 will have a dummy AIM-7 fitted:

IMG_8870_zpsnm2jt8p3.jpg

Next up will be cleaning and sanding on both jets and i'll hopefully get the Phoenix pallets added to the F-14 and the seat and 'Viper' completed for the A-4. Won't have this done by the GB deadline so will get it moved to a regular WIP.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3