Meteor F.3 EE318 4DoZ of 74(F) Sqdn, Airfix 1/72

You'll probably find yellow over anything other than a white base doesn't cover well nor look yellow unless you give it a hundred coats (exaggerating there slightly but you know what I mean.).

Max

• Like 2

Hi Dave - Green Street in Bath has an art shop that stocks W&N stuff.

Thanks Max - in the past I would have just plastered thick coats of H24 on but now I'd like to try being more 'refined'. Well, try a bit :)

I'm doing some tests on yellows on my paint mule. The white is Vallejo Model 70.820 off white, brushed on:

22690920818_6bcc6dc61c_z.jpg

One coat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

What are these yellow stripes all about?

• Like 1

Cheers Ced, I shall investigate a bit and get a couple of pots.

Although I can still get Humbrol for 1.20 a tin from my "local" model shop. Local as in 40 miles away.........

Sean

I'd go for the middle yellow.

And why are you on the net at ten past seven in the morning,. Do you not sleep?

• Like 1

Hi Sean - good luck with the Gunze :) Yes, I do sleep, but us old 'uns don't need as much and, since my daughters were babies, I've been trained out of 'lie ins'. Sadly :(

Two days of dithering... testing the paint indeed, it's just a couple of small stripes for goodness sake! I tested the H24 decanted from the rattle can and it covers well so on with the masks; Tamiya tape carefully around the stripe and cheap masking tape to protect from 'overspray', blasted with the paint at close quarters:

22702992297_fd0173d036_n.jpg 22729605379_ee391a9f23_n.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Bit of 'overspray' go through the mask:

23095825056_77fa23cc2e_n.jpg 22499187694_c522daab79_n.jpg

Strange that the stripes are a different size on the two marks - what are those strips for?? Anyway, I'm happy with the damn things now and the tail band on the F1, although the F3 is too narrow:

22705055468_90d5800562_n.jpg

Tail bands by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 5

Hi Dave - Green Street in Bath has an art shop that stocks W&N stuff.

Thanks Max - in the past I would have just plastered thick coats of H24 on but now I'd like to try being more 'refined'. Well, try a bit :)

I'm doing some tests on yellows on my paint mule. The white is Vallejo Model 70.820 off white, brushed on:

22690920818_6bcc6dc61c_z.jpg

One coat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

What are these yellow stripes all about?

Thanks Ced. I lived in Bath 20 years ago so that's a nice coincidence. Top work on the build. D

• Like 1

Thanks John and Dave :)

Speaking of 'research' my "What are these stripes?" question went unanswered, I guess because some of you are thinking 'I don't know' and others 'Not that old chestnut'.

I did some hunting and found a useful set of correspondence on another forum; the stripes are part of the new post-August '41 camo scheme and aid recognition, like the tail band. I was pleased to see (post #7) that squadrons had a confusion over 'Sea Grey' and 'Ocean Grey' like us!

It's Deja Vu all over again :)

I suggest you don't go much further down the post as it just deteriorates in to another argument on colour photography...

• Like 1

Some good stuff there Ced and how nice of those kind chaps at Humbrol to put their paint in 14ml tinlets. I have no excuses now for mixing an incorrect shade of the RAF's new Ocean Grey. Oh no, I forgot about the minefield of 1/72 scale effect on colour :boom: . Perhaps a blue/grey with strong backlighting would be the solution. :winkgrin:

Modelling was so much simpler when 'I were a lad'. Jumpers for goalposts etc. etc.

By 'em, Build 'em, Decal 'em if you were patient enough. Then it was outside to attack the small plastic army invading the back garden. :)

• Like 3

Thanks Joe and John, very kind :)

A brief session with the transfers this afternoon. The DecalFix I'm using up seems to have discoloured the Klear coat or gone cloudy:

22807726999_28ab868265_z.jpg

Cloudy Decalfix by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've 'washed' it gently with water and we'll see what it's like tomorrow, otherwise that's the start of the weathering!

Good idea on the tail flash - a one part wrap around:

22551953434_9662326ca1_n.jpg 23154481526_a82851e904_n.jpg

Good idea by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Settled nicely, unlike the others... a mixture of fragile, old transfers and all those rivets has caused a few tears (that's both pronunciations!) and my nerves are now shot after doing both sides:

22813196939_2114d19792_z.jpg

Nerves shot by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

There will be wine tonight!

• Like 5

Ah...all those drag-inducing (especially in the back garden) pimply rivet mountain ranges take me back - to the days when I didn't have transfer-softening solution :(. The Airfix Lancaster springs most vividly to mind <shudder>. In some respects the "good old days" weren't that good...

Looking great depsite the thick transfer material (carrier film seems fine): well deserved glass and a half of full cream wine (I assume that Cadbury had the same slogan for their chocolate in the UK as here in Oz).

Cheers,

Alex the newly-minted gold member ;).

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

Thanks Alex :) Yes, we had the 'glass and a half' commercial here but I think the nanny state made them stop... and now Cadbury is owned by Kraft it's probably academic :(

The transfers caused another nightmare this afternoon but they're on now:

23213708065_956b30992a_n.jpg 23213716835_f2268dfa93_n.jpg

Notice anything? Sharp eyed viewers will have spotted the broken transfer on the starboard wing and you can all see here that concentrating on not breaking the things has meant that I wasn't looking at whether they lined up:

22586649253_5165414cac_z.jpg

Oops by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Future builders note that the short lines at the front should go forward of the panel line and the boxy things with the writing on should go behind, and then they should line up at the back. Dammit. Crooked as hell but trying to shift them around led to more breaking up so that's where they're staying, with MicroSet on now to try to reduce the silvering.

• Like 5

Hi Ced, your finish looks really good. You done well to get the fuselage decals looking so good. :) Joe

• Like 1

Greatly looking forward to the satin top-coats, and the canopy masks coming off! The Gunze paint has settled down pretty well. Looking great! You've done really well with the transfers given their age and thickness.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, you're very kind :)

Thanks Alex - me too! Before I put the top coat on I thought I'd try out the Daco strong to get rid of the 'silvering':

22609525353_32746c5ae3_z.jpg

No hope by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've now learned that 'silvering' and 'rubbish old thick transfers' are two different things... oh well.

• Like 4

Ced, The decals look like they have settled down quite nicely to me (but that could just be my lamps going), I think that the silvering you are referring to may just be due to a thick carrier film and once you get a topcoat of varnish on some of that could disappear.

One thing I have tried in the past that sometimes works is to pierce the silvered area in several places with a sharp point and then apply some Klear over this area, whilst it may not solve the problem completely it can help to reduce it.

Some modellers also use Klear to apply decals with and this may also help you in future when applying older/thick decals, but as I am not familiar with this technique you may just want to check the Help Section to find out how this is done first. HTH

• Like 2

I don't know how long ago Airfix produced this kit but if it's contemporary with their new tooled Bf110 (about 7 years ago) then the poor quality is down to the company that Airfix used to produce their decals, truly, truly awful. No amount of Klear nor Microset/sol does anything to ameliorate the situation. :(

Max

• Like 2

Thanks John - I see you got caught by the 'gentleman's parts' rude word filter but I know what you mean :)

Thanks Max - I think I've got lucky... as John suggested some of the carrier film has disappeared under the top coat.

DONE and in the gallery here.

Thanks all for your support, help and companionship during this one. And to Enzo for making me do it. :)

• Like 2

Thanks John - I see you got caught by the 'gentleman's parts' rude word filter but I know what you mean :)

Thanks Max - I think I've got lucky... as John suggested some of the carrier film has disappeared under the top coat.

DONE and in the gallery here.

Thanks all for your support, help and companionship during this one. And to Enzo for making me do it. :)

I wondered what you meant then Ced, I was thinking I don't remember mentioning 'Spherical Objects' :shutup: in my post. Needless to say the post has been edited to remove the 'gentleman's parts' and replaced with what I hope is a more acceptable word to the word police. :winkgrin:

The finished result looks fantastic, well done on completing her.

• Like 1

Thanks John :D

I had the same problem with the auto-censor a while ago when posting the fact that I had lost a small part and then felt a small [that word] in my hand... the resultant auto-edited post, though hilarious, took some explaining!

Thanks Nigel :) - very kind and your comments are humbly received as always, oh great one!!

I do like the paints, sprayed un-thinned in the end after the washy bottom coat. I shall resist buying any more until my Vallejo / Humbrol / Revell stocks reduce, or I get fed up with them! Probably :)

• Like 2

The W&N satin came up a treat :). They are both looking lovely with their naked canopies. Well done, especially with the MPM Mk I! That is despite a certain idiot suggesting a product that wasn't right/fit for purpose. On further pondering, that item might have been developed for use with large-scale r/c flying models where weight - or lack of it - is paramount. And/or for dioramas, which seem to be another Big Thing with DM, and where lumpiness is a bonus (they also do water, snow and rust).

Lovely-looking a/c, perhaps you could hang them upside down from the ceiling (tops of loops ;)) to get the best view of them :D.

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1