Meteor F.3 EE318 4DoZ of 74(F) Sqdn, Airfix 1/72

I asked Michael if I could include some shots of the V1 and he's kindly agreed. As it's the V1 that got me into a double build I bashed it together in a few minutes after sorting an oversized loading pin:

21981693483_bdede1a4fe.jpg

Hmmm by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22415044830_c0769001f5.jpg

Assembled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22655287721_3abbc250c9.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'm actually going to display this with the MPM Mk I but, as it's part of this kit, I thought it best to do 'the WiP' here. That's it.

You may see it in the background of other shots but I won't push my luck! :)

• Like 3

Me too!

Hopefully this Meteor won't be such a pain as the Spit. Certainly the pilots are better than 'the Hobbit' that came with that kit:

22633852722_9756ef5da6_z.jpg

Eleven good men by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I decided I may as well build up a stock after Simon kindly sent me his unused chaps. I'll be painting these using Stew's technique - a couple of them needed their tummies filling with liquid green stuff. I'll prime them and keep them in the background so you can see the (slow) progress.

• Like 3

Thanks Joe, Alex and Phil and welcome!

This is certainly, er, more basic than the MPM and it took no time at all to get the bits ready for internal spraying. The fuselage is 'old school', probably designed to be snapped off, so I put aside the side cutters and reached for a #23 scalpel:

22051321063_47c3e2b90c.jpg

Designed to be cut? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Pretty easy and clean chop off. The other internal parts (all four, count 'em) were removed and the seat glued to the bulkhead:

22659071632_c759a09e61.jpg

Ready for spraying by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Ready for a spraying later.

• Like 3

Finished by teatime then Ced? :)

Max

Sadly not, leaf clearing duties called. Mrs B is keen on this although my view is that, until all the leaves are off, it's a bit pointless...

Now a bit shaky (poor old sod) so detailing the interiors will have to wait. Ideal though for painting the pilots!

and flying it around the garden making jet noises tomorrow. :D

You can fly them too?? :)

• Like 3

After spending some days sorting the workspace and painting pilots I'm ready for some more Meteor... pilot selection was complex, as this kit obviously models an F.3 with the top secret 'Firefox Thought Control' - there's nothing else in there:

22135968743_fe54690172.jpg

Firefox by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So and easy close up with promising joins:

22757364095_b394484af4.jpg

Close up by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 8

Sanding and filling today. The fit of the fuselage is not bad but there are ridges on the edges of the plastic so sanding was required. This removed the raised panel lines and rivets, so don't count them, please. :)

Now waiting for the liquid green stuff to dry:

22185274864_7789a575f1.jpg

Filled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 4

Fiddly. The dry fit was easy but the canopy slid around all over the place once the glue was on.

22206281563_0a279e0bf1_c.jpg

Canopy on by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Wings now. One day I'll 'read ahead' in the instructions and realise I can do things in parallel. :doh:

• Like 4

Hi Ced, sorry I'm late... I'm pretty sure that Meteor kit is one of the first I ever built back in the early 1970's! It wasn't boxed with the V1 then, but if I recall correctly it did have some excitingly violent box-art suggesting that the Meteor had been used as a ground-attack aircraft against the Nazis :mg:

Have a fun build mate :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks Dave and welcome :)

Hi Stew, not a problem, lots going on and glad to have you along :)

This one isn't getting as much posting as the MPM F.1, mainly due to the fact that it's going together with no fuss... like the wings this morning:

22843705136_4036197089_z.jpg

You can never have too many clamps by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 3

Progressing but, like the squeaky hinge, the F.1's getting most of the attention, damn thing... That said I'm switching to the Airfix when I want some less painful modelling.

The airbrakes have been fitted in about 1/10 of the time it's taking me to fill the lines on the F.1. A test fit on the gear doors showed they fit really easily so, following the 'if it fits, glue it' philosophy I touched some Tamiya Extra Thin ('TET') around the edges.

22477091018_47a6d1b002.jpg

If it fits, glue it by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I really, really wish that MPM had applied the same care for their 'wheels up' modellers. As if. Also for bit of relaxation I masked the canopy:

22882394992_edba247ed7.jpg

Masked by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 5