1/72 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant I

Evening all,

Having shared more than a few photographs on here over the past few months, I thought it was about time I shared a model! :lol:

I've spent the last few weeks quietly working away on the new Airfix Defiant for my Battle of Britain project, finally adding the finishing to it this morning. A lovely little kit with no vices at all, the only additions being some Eduard seat belts and decals from the Xtradecal 2010 Battle of Britain anniversary sheet, which I found to be a little disappointing in their application; not particularly receptive to Microsol and prone to cracking rather than conforming, particularly along the fin leading edge. I also utilised Peewit's mask set for the heavily framed canopy and turret as life's just too short! Weathering was kept fairly light, with the cowling chipping applied in accordance to the Xtradecal's recommendations. A new technique to me, I applied some liquid mask with a sponge to the cowlings and walkway over Alclad aluminium prior to painting, and was pretty pleased with the effect after removal, despite the need for a little touching up by hand. All in all, an enjoyable, simple build to ease me back into the swing of things now the airshow season is done and dusted.

_MG_0069_zpstfqqxmyt.jpg

_MG_0076_zpspl3pu7vd.jpg

_MG_0073_zps8pzylypb.jpg

_MG_0072_zpsgni9ndza.jpg

_MG_0070_zpswetsyvon.jpg

_MG_0074_zpsfyw3mty8.jpg

_MG_0078_zpsflb1ptid.jpg

_MG_0077_zps9vqy88bo.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed as ever,

Cheers,

Shaun

• Like 33

Wow, this is the first 'new' defiant I've seen built, it certainly puts the old one into perspective!!

Very nicely done! great job.

. . . Kes (who's Defiant would probably be a target tug?)

• Like 1

That looks fantastic. By the way, why does the port rear window have that odd shape?

I always thought it was because the roof above it pivots down so the turret can fire forward, at an angle that misses the prop. The strange shape of the window is due to the hinge mechanism of the roof. But I could be wrong, as my missus always reminds me. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind feedback all, much appreciated :)

Nice build. I used the same decal sheet (different markings) and also struggled to get them to bed down. They do appear to be hit and miss, as I used an Xtradecal Defiant sheet and had no problems.

I had wondered whether I just got a duff sheet, as I've always found Xtradecal to be very good. I have the corresponding Luftwaffe sheet too and they're absolutely fine.

Cheers,

Shaun