Hey All

Most of you know me for my aircraft models, however, I recently decided to shake things up a bit and build my second proper car model. This was a gift from a late friend of mine who was the recipient of my first proper car model and to whom this is dedicated.

I present the Revell 1/24 (not 1/25 as the box says) 1932 Ford Roadster, enjoy...

22544034832_2fd872d374_c.jpg

21935032814_c210d11fa4_c.jpg

22557730915_2345a55525_c.jpg

22531716176_72d077297e_c.jpg

22557561605_708c24b0af_c.jpg

22568870661_b6b026b2f7_c.jpg

22531522646_665517cc5e_c.jpg

Overall a relatively unexciting build. No fit major fit issues to speak of except those of my own doing resulting from some custom work. The louvered hood was sanded smooth and left detachable to show off the engine. The engine (which is actually 1/25 scale... don't tell anyone) is a 302 V8 from a donor 1969 Z28 Camaro. This received a pre-wired distributor from Morgan Automotive Detail and finished off with custom exhaust and headers made from aluminium rod and tubing.

The kit supplied chrome wheels were overpainted with Tamiya gloss red, which paired them rather smartly with the tires once the white walls were painted on. The interior was painted with a mix of flat hull red and gloss red for a nice wine coloured leather look. The body was primed with Tamiya semi-gloss black, which was then covered with two coats each of gloss black and clear. The steering wheel was painted and washed with various brown colours, then clear coated to give it a polished wood look. The chrome parts were then installed with the radiator grill receiving a dark wash to give it some depth and the kit windshield being replaced with clear acetate. Finally, the body was cleaned and polished with Novus #1

For those of you wondering this build was not sponsored by Tamiya :winkgrin: , it was simply an experiment in thinning Tamiya acrylics with lacquer thinner, and might I say I am very impressed with the results. By using lacquer thinner, I was able to lay down heavier and thus smoother coats of paint compared to previous attempts using X20A thinner. Not bad for an aircraft guy eh?

Anyway, the usual comments, questions and criticisms are always welcome (just don't mention the dust, I am well aware that half my room ended up in the paintwork :banghead: )

Regards

Edited by ANovaScotian
  • Like 13

Thanks guys

For comparison purposes, here's my first car (truck) model... Took me 6 months (on and off), two kits and two painting attempts but I somehow finished.

22194313894_64b8e47165_c.jpg

BTW if you're looking for a cheap, easy to work with mirror material for displays and the like, take a trip to your local Canadian Tire (or suitable auto parts store) and pick up a mirror repair kit. An 8.5 x 11" piece can be had for around $15. Just cut it to shape like you would a sheet of styrene and stick it down.

22195914343_75d18e0fba_c.jpg

22194320024_63b7f8bc47_c.jpg

Custom exhaust, real wood bed, wired engine, scale 3 inch lift, scratch built coil over shocks and struts and some proper truck sized wheels and tires.

Edited by ANovaScotian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"But she'll walk a Thunderbird like(she's)standing still" superb build and finish,gotta love a classic hot rod!

No , that was a little deuce coupe with a flathead mill , not a deuce roadster with a smallblock Chevy

• 2 weeks later...