1/9 Brough Superior

Fastcat

New announcement from MFH - a 1/9 Brough Superior multi media kit.

Great and imaginative kit but no doubt with a very high price tag.

Should be ready by the end of November - just in time for Christmas!

Only wish it had been 1/12 to fit in with the majority of bike kits and maybe reduce the price (nothing on price available yet). Guess you can't please everyone.

Information and graphics from Hiroboy's site.

Dave

not as bad as I thought it might be

:yikes:Can't say I was any way relieved by the price! Looks to be a brilliant kit but unless I inherit or win a whole load of money it'll stay something to aspire to owning.

Some of the high prices being paid for much older large scale bike kits do put a bit of perspective on it. This one looks streets ahead and if I could justify the outlay, I'd go for it.................I reckon it'll make a some folks very happy indeed.

Unfortunately I won't be one of them..................... :weep: .

Dave

As much as I would like this kit I just can't afford that price either.

I'll waint till Revell do one in just plastic at the £20 price range.

Reminds me I must build my Vincent kit.

• Like 1

Black Knight ... you mentioned you have a Vincent kit. As an elderly geezer now who once had a Rapide back in '60 something I would love to build a model of any Vincent. Can you tell me what's out there in kits and what quality you think they have ... eg which is worth buying vs NOT.

Much appreciate any help.

Frank Smart

I've been following this Brough Superior kit since it was first announced back in the summer months. While I agree it's rather pricey, there is some justification in their need to amortize the design and tooling expenses over what will likely be a small market. Classic motorcycle modeling is a niche of motorcycle modeling, which is a niche of automotive modeling. Nobody to my knowledge has ever done a high-detail Brough kit in any scale. From the photos I've seen on the MFH website this is not a kit that will be assembled in a week like the recent Pocher stuff. This model has individual chain links, separate fasteners, etc. Then there are the home-made extras like leather paniers and seat, custom registration, wiring harness, etc. This bike could take a year or more to complete. Frankly, I hope this kit sells well so the MFH folks will be inclined to develop a Vincent Twin and maybe a Ducati Super Sport down the line.

Frank,

I think Black Night was referring to the 1/12th Revell Vincent Black Shadow kit. It was originally offered under the Matchbox label. It's a good kit with very accurate engine/chassis details but suffers from the usual clunky spokes and overall is on the difficult end of the spectrum. In plastic that's about it. There was an RAE white metal model in 1/8th scale a few years ago but they are quite rare.

RevVincentBike.jpg

Edited by Cratecruncher

CrateCruncher

Thanks for the reply and good info. I'd sort of come to that conclusion after reading a lot on this forum that there's not much on offer. The Revell looks not bad (other than the spokes) and since I only scratch build I wouldn't mind having a go at those wheels. I've done many wire wheels for car models.

I'll start looking for a Revell kit.

Thanks again

Frank

albergman, on 09 Nov 2015 - 1:47 PM, said:

CrateCruncher

Thanks for the reply and good info. I'd sort of come to that conclusion after reading a lot on this forum that there's not much on offer. The Revell looks not bad (other than the spokes) and since I only scratch build I wouldn't mind having a go at those wheels. I've done many wire wheels for car models.

I'll start looking for a Revell kit.

Thanks again

Frank

Here is some inspiration. The builder started with the plastic 1/12th Vincent kit:

http://racingscalemodels.blogspot.com/2011/11/vincent-red-rapide-1951-by-kims-house.html

WOW, that is encouraging. Looks like he re-spoked the wheels with proper wire and it looks great.

Not wild about the red though.

Still, impressive work and a nice model. This is a Revell you think?

Thanks

Frank

Vincent actually did finish a few bikes in red for the export market so it's a legit look. The bike model is the Revell/Matchbox tool and was built by one of the best motorcycle modelers in the world: Kinichi Karube. Most of the plastic pieces on the model were replaced with metal turnings and microscopic scratch pieces. I've been admiring his work for years. Here is a link to his old site Kim's House Garage, though I don't think it's been updated in years. You can find a build thread for the Vincent clicking on the "PROGRESS" button and scrolling down. It's impressive work!

http://kimshouse7015.com/

Edited by Cratecruncher

Vincent actually did finish a few bikes in red for the export market so it's a legit look. The bike model is the Revell/Matchbox tool and was built by one of the best motorcycle modelers in the world: Kinichi Karube. Most of the plastic pieces on the model were replaced with metal turnings and microscopic scratch pieces. I've been admiring his work for years. Here is a link to his old site Kim's House Garage, though I don't think it's been updated in years. You can find a build thread for the Vincent clicking on the "PROGRESS" button and scrolling down. It's impressive work!

http://kimshouse7015.com/

Thanks for that link. VERY impressive build. Don't know if he's really good at making plastic look like real metal or he actually fabricated those cylinder barrels from metal ...very convincing anyway. Lots of metal looking parts everywhere too.

I remember the red Vincents back in the day so I know it is a factory colour. Just my personal preference that a Vincent should be black.

I love fabricating small parts from metal and I can see it would be fun to replace a lot of the plastic in the kit with suitable metals.

You can see a couple of my scratch built models right here in the forums ... Ready for inspection "Scratch Built Trojan Sport Fishing boat" and a Triumph TR6 in the Vehicles Section (both posted this week).

One last thing, are the Revell Vincents still in production or is this going to be another hard to find item?

Thanks

Frank

Nice work Frank. Looks like you have an eye for scale. I especially like your stanchion work on the Trojan. The Vincent is probably in between runs but they are around. The sprues look so fiddly most people open the box and close it back up, lol. I found one for $20 at a local IPMS show recently. Now that you know about it you'll likely cross paths with one in no time. If you get impatient there are always 4 or 5 listed on feebay.

Mike

Nice work Frank. Looks like you have an eye for scale. I especially like your stanchion work on the Trojan. The Vincent is probably in between runs but they are around. The sprues look so fiddly most people open the box and close it back up, lol. I found one for $20 at a local IPMS show recently. Now that you know about it you'll likely cross paths with one in no time. If you get impatient there are always 4 or 5 listed on feebay.

Mike

Started watching EBay and there's 2 there but they want (what will be) $100 Canadian!

Think that's a bit steep for what I'm hearing is a so-so kit.

I'll keep looking.

Leaving for the Azores tomorrow so I'll be offline for a while.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Angus,

Haven't identified the bike with the sidecar yet but I think your gran is sitting on a Rudge Ulster.

Most single cylinder bikes have the exhaust pipe on the right but the Rudge had twin exhaust ports and had a silencer on both sides. You can't easily see the one on the opposite side.

Here's a good photo of one:

http://thevintagent.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/rudges-rudges.html

The only difference I can see is that your grandparents' bike has a pillion seat fitted.

Lovely photos!

Dave

Had a look at the side-car first. The little logo on the lower nose of the side-car looks like it says "Rudge Whitworth". Found a page from a Rudge catalogue on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-Rudge-Whitworth-Motorcycle-Sales-Catalogue-All-Models-and-Sidecars-/380506160314

Sixth image along shows the very side-car - has a pointy nose and large light on the side-car mudguard.

Seems like your granddad was a Rudge fan. It's possible that the bike pulling the side-car was a Rudge also. There's not much to go on without a view of the engine.

I suspect it was a 500cc to haul the increased weight: http://www.yesterdays.nl/rudge-1929-special-p-1456.html

This one has the speedo cable coming from the front hub, just like your granddads, not such a common fitting. Also what little there is to see of the writing on the petrol tank looks like a longer name than the usual suspects - Ariel, Triumph, BSA etc.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Edited by Fastcat

Hi Angus,

No problem - it was an interesting exercise and these old photos are just brilliant, a real piece of history.

It's a great pity but I can't see anyone ever kitting a Rudge or any of the pre-war bikes, at least in a scale that's buildable! Broughs and Vincents are iconic so attract attention.

I've got a Brough SS100 in 1/12 scale by Minichamps/PMA , sold as a built model. I paid about 30% of today's price and someday I'll get up the nerve to pull it apart and work on it.

They made several pre-war bikes, Vincents, Triumphs, the Brough and a few '50s/'60s Triumphs and BSAs. I'd love to see a pre-war Rudge, Velo, Cotton, Matchless, Norton............................too many to name. Can't see it happening but with 3D printing all sorts of stuff that no-one ever believed would be kitted is surfacing. You never know!

The sidecar certainly looks like a Zeppelin although I've not heard it called that. Don't know who originated that particular style. The Steib lightweight sports is the best known but several makers did something similar.

Dave

Edited by Fastcat