Couple of F4F-4 Wildcat related queries

Seahawk

What an interesting discussion between experts. For what it is worth I have Robert Archers book of swatches and #9 Bronze Green looks a yellow green to my eye and a slight sheen. I have a copy of COLOR CARD SUPPLEMENT TO U.S. ARMY SPECIFICATION No. 3-1 REVISED APRIL 21, 1943. There is no colour or reference to Bronze Green #9 in this document at all, not even in the column for 'Old 3-1 Supplement No.' nor in the ANA list of colours.

• 2 weeks later...

Not an ideal angle but upper photo again suggests to me that Airfix spine is too broad.

The problem has been correctly pinpointed by Gwart here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991560-172-grumman-martlet-mkiv-by-airfix-release-september-2016/page-8

Obviously Airfix used the plans / dimensions of the early prototypes

Obviously Airfix used the plans / dimensions of the early prototypes

Having measured the spine against plans, I disagree with the above statement. It is not "obvious" that Airfix have done this. The kit spine is spot on in width, but a mm short in height, giving the appearance the entire fuselage is off when making comparisons to photos. Made more dramatic when comparing to the Hasegawa kit spine, which is a mm too tall in the spine and measures as too narrow in the fuselage.

Neither kit is perfect, each are in error by about the same amount albeit in different directions. Pick a kit and build it.

Tim

• Like 1

What's you goal with all the down watering ?

The whole fuselage of the Airfix kits is a copy of the early prototypes with the fuselage too fat and bulges and all the resultinng pother problems.

Not an ideal angle but upper photo again suggests to me that Airfix spine is too broad.

I will offer that the photo you mention is definitely not an ideal photo to make that assertion from. First, it does not show the base of the spine, and second, the angle is off. I've measured the kit spine and compared to drawings; it is spot on in width, but 1 mm too short in height, which makes the spine appear too broad when comparing to photos. Our eyes want to make the height correct...

Tim

Crikey this Airfix kit spills out everywhere.

carbuncle_zps42cw6jrx.jpg

wildcat.png_zpsejx8jff4.jpg

In all pictures of production variants and prototypes post XF4F-3,the spine is as shown on the right of both the above pictures.It's lower edge is relocated to the stringers,these can be seen in both airframes on the first photograph.Look at the line of rivets of the left picture,then look at the right to see where the spine has moved.

Its a really simple fix ,you don't have to raise the spine as the silhouette shape of the Airfix kit is acceptable.You just need to figure out where the stringer line would be then fill from here upwards using the upper outline shape as a cut off.

wildcatfix_zpskd3low9k.jpg

Putty in place just waiting for it to dry.

And the Airfix kit beats the Hasegawa one hands down,i dont mind some bodywork to fix the spine ,compared to having to make a ********* firewall from scratch everytime on the Hasegawa kit.

Just need someone to make a decent vac canopy for the Airfix kit.

• 2 weeks later...

I will offer that the photo you mention is definitely not an ideal photo to make that assertion from. First, it does not show the base of the spine, and second, the angle is off. I've measured the kit spine and compared to drawings; it is spot on in width, but 1 mm too short in height, which makes the spine appear too broad when comparing to photos. Our eyes want to make the height correct...

Tim

I've found another picture of XF4F-3

XF4F-3_zps8bianvpw.png

Edited by Gwart
  • Like 1