Saab J 29F Tunnan, Hobbyboss 1/48... I mean 1/52

Bjorn

Many of us thougt that Hobbyboss would release a 1/48 Tunnan. So did I, and bought it on the C4 Open exhibition last weekend. Since I will never build this one after the Pilot Replicas release in a couple of weeks, I started it immediately. But to my surprise, we all still wait for a 1/48 Hobbyboss Tunnan. This one is actually in the, somewhat odd, scale of 1/54. (Edit. 1/52, see below).

But anyway. Why not try this scale for once? Let us start;

Sprue shots have been published already, but here they are again:

22536758831_da574d800a_c.jpg

22536757721_9b9c386174_c.jpg

Apart from the scale, there are - of course - plenty of errors. But to my surprise, there are also a number of good things. Unlike AZ so-called "Tunnan", the overall shape on this one is fairly correct, it looks like a Tunnan. Cockpit is a mix of out-of-the blue items and good details. The seat is pretty basic. At a first look it seems correct, but looking twice you will find a number of errors.

The main problem is the air intake, it is too wide. Mail wheels looks good, but are to large. The plastic is a bit strange, very soft and a bit similar to children's toys. I recognize it from Trumpeter's MiG-23. It is harder to sand than normal styrene, but one advantage is that small pieces do not break that easy.

21902892764_88f19d33f5_c.jpg

The canopy is great, shape seems to be spot on and it is crystal clear. Swedish decals are a joke, austrian ones are better. The Swedish stencils seems to be written in a mix of hindi, arabic and hieroglyphics:

22337923388_7e84716d8f_c.jpg

Instructions are good, but the colour instructions for the cockpit are just a guess. It states grey cockpit with black seat and black instrument panel. Real Tunnans had green cockpit and instrument panel, and NMF seat with a dark grey-green top with a clear green headrest. Surface detailing looks good with crisp - and from what I can see, also correct - panel lines and not too many rivets.

22499644636_f7a5eabb7b_c.jpg

Price is about 2/3 of Pilot Replicas, but after comparing this one with a test shot of PC, I can say that quality of this one is about 1/5 of its forthcoming sister model. So if you want to build a perfect Tunnan, you'd better be more intelligent than me, and stay away from this one.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

Thank you, Björn, for acting the 'kit taster' for the rest of us.

Disregarding the mysterious scale anomaly, the fuselage sprue shot would've been enough to scare me off it. I do hope that PR have got that straight belly right. ;-)

Continuous curve from air intake to exhaust – yeeech! :-D

Kind regards,

Joachim

thanks Björn,

for me I will summ that up as "interesting"

surface looks lightyears aheaf of the Az kit though....

did you comapre it size wise to the AZ kit?

thanks and have fun building it! surely will look good!

Oh... :(

BTW - how did you come by the scale? Plans, actual measurements or otherwise? :)

Just mathematics (normally not my cup of tea :) ). A Tunnan is 10,23 m long. In 1/48 a Tunnan should be 21,3 cm, but the model is only about 19,1. I have not measured the model exactly (so the actual scale can be 1/53 or 1/55), but it is definitely not 21 cm.

Edited by Bjorn

Just mathematics (normally not my cup of tea :) ). A Tunnan is 10,23 m long. In 1/48 a Tunnan should be 21,3 cm, but the model is only about 19,1. I have not measured the model exactly (so the actual scale can be 1/53 or 1/55), but it is definitely not 21 cm.

Did you take into account that the elevator (separate part) is longer than the rudder (separate part)? Just wondering as more than 20mm would be quite a large error... I don't have the kit myself, I'll get the Pilot Replicas one anyway.

Did you take into account that the elevator (separate part) is longer than the rudder (separate part)? Just wondering as more than 20mm would be quite a large error... I don't have the kit myself, I'll get the Pilot Replicas one anyway.

You have a point there. That will probably make the difference in scale somewhat smaller (I will check it and re-calculate), since it will make the model about 19,6-19,7 cm (but I measured it with the nose ring, not just the body part). However, the model is still in wrong scale. Surprisingly, AZ Model's Tunnan - a kit that is horrible in many ways - has a more correct size.

Edited by Bjorn

It's not massively inspiring, is it? Still, we're beholden not to spread factoids where possible. If it's off, an accurate figure is more... well, accurate! :)

• Like 1

How about the wing span? Have you checked that?

Are there any reputable plans of the Tunnan? It's not just a too short fuselage perhaps?

Does look like the research department has had the tea boy on google duty again though :(

How about the wing span? Have you checked that?

Are there any reputable plans of the Tunnan? It's not just a too short fuselage perhaps?

Does like like the research department has had the tea boy on google duty again though :(

The Tea Boy runs the R/D department at Trumpeter/HB! I think he had a day off though when they designed the A-6 series.

• Like 1

Now I have measured it once again with the elevon. The model is 19,6 cm long, which means that it is in 1/52 scale. I also measured the wingspan, and it is (fortunately) also 1/52. So the proportions are at least correct.

• Like 1

A fellow modeller (another Björn), is also building this one right now. He sent me these photos of Hobbyboss Tunnan compared to AZ's one. AZ might have wrong shapes, but it is at least in the right 1/48 scale. As you can see, the difference in size is quite striking:

22409902940_683cea7b6a_b.jpg

22609077881_46d2854ba4_b.jpg

On the positive side, Hobbyboss have captured the shapes, far better, not only the body but also the wings. The only issue that I have discovered, apart from that HB's nose is a bit wrong, is that the rear part of the belly, just before the exhaust, is too shallow. It looks good from the side, but from below it is more similar to a J 29A/B/E.

• Like 2

I'm reminded of the famous Morecambe & Wise sketch featuring a certain Mr André Preview :)

"Now listen sunshine ( waggles glasses) this kit has all the right shapes.....

.....just not necessarily in the right scale"

Jonners, not totally surprised, and long since given up at being disappointed with the insulting rubbish that comes out of the Hobbyboss/Trumpeter collective.

• Like 1

So true. Fit is absolutely brilliant and so is moulding. Just a shallow sink-mark on the belly, easy to remove, and no visible ejector pin marks. Putty will probably not be necessary at all, and there will be just a minimum of sanding. Besides that, a closer look at the cockpit shows that it is almost spot on, just a bit simplified (a bit sad is that the worst part, the upper part of the seat, is the most visible part of the cockpit...).

So the conclusion will probably be: A terrific kit for all the lovers of 1/52 scale. People that probably have been longing for this since the release of this one in 1959:

Lindberg%20570-98%20Draken%201st.JPG

(OK, it is in 1/51, but pretty close.)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Hmm, I wonder if it would be morally acceptable to buy one anyway, since I was planning to do it as a Grumman F10F "redesign". It might be exactly the right scale for that, but I don't want to encourage HobbyBoss to keep up the good work...

bob

1/52 is 7.7% under-scale and the model only takes up 78% (=0.9233) of the volume it would have if it was actually 1/48.

The stencil deals are just a joke and pure laziness on the part of Hobby Boss. Compare them to the Cartograph printed stencils on Airfix's new kits, which are actually readable though I need a magnifier to do so.

Edited by VMA131Marine

And what about the NeOmega resin kit?

http://www.neomega-resin.com/saab-tunnan-553-p.asp

V.P.

Most of it is pretty good (and the scale is correct), but the nose has slightly the same error as the AZ kit. This is a difficult part, i spoke to the Pilot Replicas designer about this, and he told me that they had re-designed it many times before they were satisfied. Here is an example built by excellent Swedish modeller Peter Halvar:

1_halvar_2.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

OK, enough said about the scale. Let's start building. First the cockpit with pretty good details, and the only useful part of the decal sheet: the instrument panel decal. There are also decals for the side panels, but i decided to paint them instead.

22652024826_ebf4840e40_c.jpg

The part above the exhaust is too long, but is easily fixed with some minor surgery:

22490084510_b5339cc601_c.jpg

The rest of the build was extremely trouble-free. Fit is excellent, the only putty required was on the front part of the windscreen, to get a more smooth transition between the body and the windscreen.

22678032825_a1bb36fd27_c.jpg

Flaps are separate parts, which is great, since they were hanging like this on many parked Tunnans. However, some trimming is needed to get them hanging. I also decided to mount the pitot tubes and antenna at this stage. It might be a wise decision. Or not. The only other modification was to drill the gun openings.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

I wonder what tripped them up on this one? :hmmm: The Hawk in 1:48 seems to have suffered because someone picked the wrong variant to take the wingspan from, then too that as the base figure to base every other size on. Perhaps something similar happened here? :rolleyes: