Tiger II, April 1945, Finished (Dragon 1/35)

Wolwe82

Hey guys, this is my first tank build since i came back to modelling (and obviously my first AFV WIP here :) ). I m building the Tiger II for my friend, who asked me to build it - i was happy to do so, but there was deadline of 9th november.. So i had like one month for the build, making it effectively like 10 days for the build - we have decided then it ll be OOB build with no interior and we have chosed the Tiger II (Konigstiger, King Tiger) as the subject - Still i wanted it to look as great as possible, so here is the shopping list :) :

- Dragon 1/35 King Tiger (Henschel Turret)

- Fruil Models Hunting Tiger (wide) tracks

- Nordland Productions German Standard 2m AFV antenna rod (at first i thought i ll just use wire for antenna, but 3pcs for like 3,5 E and looking great, well,easy decision :) )

- RB Model 8,8cm L/71 barrel with muzzle brake

- Eduard Brass-in MG34 machine gun

Because of the limited time, i gave up on making of the zimmerit and from given late war camouflage schemes, my friend chosed the very late war scheme (olive green factory base, late war dunkelgelb + brown pattern applied by the operation units), which i did read was used for like last 30 King Tigers. I did not find any good images though so the camouflage is kind of what-if. I was mixing the colours following the RAL sampler, but i have underrated the influence of the dark washes/streaks and glossy varnishes and now the colours are much darker than what i wanted.. well, there is no time to fix it, so it is lesson for next time.

Here is the progress - first i did some scracthes to the plastic all over the armour, thinned the right front fender and "damaged" it (the left fender wont be used at all, the side fenders ll be made from metal sheet from aluminium can). I have also removed/filled all equipment holders/holes prepared for holders and replaced these. Also i made some texture on the armour plate edges as i saw it on some builds and quite liked it - later when i saw some good shots of real KT´s i noticed, these are not so significant in real.. well, another lesson learned for future..

I have also made all the handles from wires rather than using the plastic parts (even though these were nicely done, but i was too lazy to clean the little parts.. :/ ), added wire to the frong reflector and tried to make some weld around the MG cover in the front hull, as there was nothing and it did not look right to me (i m not saying now it is any better.. :D )

Second i did paint the tanks body overall with vallejo red-brown primer and made chips in various rust tones by sponge on exposed areas or where i had plans to have chips through camouflage and primer paint to the bare metal - nothing too precious, just to give it some random pattern. Next i sprayed the chipping fluid all over, let it dry a bit and painted the olive green mix. Once it has dried a bit, i was working on some scratches around. Some shots from the progress :

12171047_864485110295217_1071822527_o.jp

12169513_864485053628556_267705199_o.jpg

12171634_864485046961890_1816091490_o.jp

12171112_864485080295220_593978679_o.jpg

12171642_864485090295219_1002522102_o.jp
I know it could be much better, but the limited time.. :(
Anyway, next steps were again the same : semi-gloss varnish - chipping fluid - dunkelgelb - chipping - semi-gloss varnish - chipping fluid - brown paint - chipping - semi-gloss varnish. Once this was done, i have applied overall filter (green + yellow + brown oil paints + white spirit - like 95%) to blend the paints together a bit and dark brown pin wash. The exhausts were painted in some rusty pattern (well, i have tried :) ) using Ammo rust acrylics applied by sponge from darkest to lightest, followed by chipping fluid, repainted by dark grey-brown-blue mix to simulate the burnt iron and then chipped down to the rust, then i have applied black pigment around the openings to simulate the soot. This is where i was after these steps :

12177568_865437763533285_1299357233_o.jp

12181118_865437753533286_1383441032_o.jp

12176151_865437783533283_1477036054_o.jp

I have started to work on some mud and dust after that but i did not make shots yet, so i ll add more shots later :)

I ll appreciate any tips for the final weathering (mud, dust, leaks, streaks) :) Thanks and have a good time guys, ll see ya later here :)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 3

Thanks Romain :) It is quite funny - i was using your E-75 as an inspiration as i loved it! At first i wanted to simply follow your build, made the black and white base and such, but then i had to think about the chipping.. and i m not used to the sponge/brush paint chipping and i was worried i would fail hard while trying to do so :( So i chosed the hairspray technique as i m used to it from airplanes ;) But that changes noting on the fact your E-75 is big inspiration to me :) One thing i have to learn is to not be too scared of the big contrasts while working on the paint job.. i tend to blend the contrasts as i do not want to end with too much contrast in the paint job in the end, but usualy i inhibit the effects too much and it is barrely visible in the end.. i think this is one of hardest things to learn (at least to me), to know when it is enough and stop there.. :)

I ll check your E-75 for the mud once again :)

hi,

:) I was telling myself that this camo looked like my E75 painting. I was Right :)

Again, very well don. I like very much the rendering of Hairspray chipping.

Romain

Edited by rom1
  • Like 1

Lovely weathering job. I particularly like, no, LOVE that 'shrapnel' damage on the left hand side and the damaged fender. It makes me really want to duff up my second ever Tiger I when I get round to doing it. I shall have to study your (and others) techniques, because a lot of these are new to me. The hairspray technique was about the most advanced we used

back in the 80's!

• Like 1

Hi Wolwe. Great to see you bringing your attention to detail and mastery of weathering to this rather brilliant project. Fantastic work (as always) so far. A real inspiration! :popcorn::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hey again guys, thanks for your support :) I m sorry i m not posting pics more often, but i have night shifts (few more days yet) so over days i m building just a bit and then sleeeping and sleeping.. :D

Anyway, quick shots from progress so far. There are few (ok, probably a lot of.. :) ) errors, some of them because of the hurry, some of them because it is my first tank since i was a teen.. But i have learned some new things.. some errors i could avoid if i used brain a bit (like the splashes of mud on the sides - i did it in the directions like on a car, but with the wide tracks, these should be oriented in different directions i guess.. well.. one still learns.. :)

So where i m right now - tracks are finished and set on the tank, gun completed and mounted on, turret is just dry fit (and i wont glue it in, ll keep it free). I did some dusting around with pigments and added some oil/fuel spills around, i ll add some more later.

Making the mud was a bit different.. :) As i wanted to save some money to my friend, so the build would not cost that much, i gave up on all the nice mud and dust stuff you can buy (in future i have to try some of Adam Wilder´s stuff...) and instead of that i used the following : pigments which i already had at home, chalks and mainly Winsor n Newton Texture medium for water colours (they did not have the granulation medium at stock, otherwise i would have tried that).

First i grated the chalk (the colour does not matter ) so i got tiny grains of random size (from dust to like 2mm), then i added the texture medium (it gives volume to the mix), few drops of water so you get some mash consistency. Then i did add some pigments to get the wanted colour, few drops of acrylic colour can help you with that as well (some of those which can be diluted by water, like vallejo). And then just take old tooth brush and sprinkle it over the tracks/surface. For this i recommend to place the part you are working on into some box (i m using the cover of bigger kit box) so you wont get mess all around.. :D

You can repeat this with more shades of mud. This way i did the mud on the hull and on the tracks. You can make some wet spots else by darker mix with added gloss varnish or by using the Ammo fresh engine oil fluid. Using the second on dry pigmented/mud surface makes the fresh fluid to soak into the surface, making some nice random edges.

Once the mud was dry on the tracks, i used sandpaper to the outer side, to show up the details on the tracks and on the inner side, to clean the areas where the wheels were running over the tracks (+ the "fangs" which are keeping the tracks in right position as these definitely had to meet the wheel edges sometimes). The inner area cleaned by the wheels was too "silver" to my taste, so i ran over it with "progreso" crayon (gunmetal shade) and then blended it with sharp pencil eraser. I have to say i m quite happy with the tracks, but i know next time i can do it again a bit better..

Well, few promissed shots :)

DSCN2217.jpg
you can see i m making models with love... :D or, how modeller uses everything for kits building... here the used box of chocolates.. :D
DSCN2214.jpg
More shots again tomorrow i hope :)
  • Like 2

Ye, I rather like it. I have been trying to think of a scheme for my E-75 and after looking at your Tiger and his 75, I think I know what I will be doing. It just suits these large tanks. I can save the Octopus variant scheme I was planning on for something else.

• Like 1

Hi Wolwe!! That is progressing rather well. Fantastic weathering and detailing as always. It is quite difficult thinking how the tracks may spray the mud about. It's looking amazing anyway!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hey guys, i m sorry for not updating my progress properly, but i had to sort so many things around and in the free time i was all into the modelling sessions :) So well, the Tiger II is now finished :)

From last time, i added mainly the equipment - to the right side some steel rope (used 0,5mm steel rope for the rope and the "eye" on the end, the tube is from the plastic part), extra wheel (just to give some interest to the part, with old camo paint on it, like from some old reserves, so chipped and rusted), axe from the kit and German 2m AFV antena from Nordland productions. Right side of the turret got some spare tracks and jerry can for water.

Left side got shovel and the rods from the kit, the "bend rod" is from thick wire and needle. There are also few fenders left on the tank, these are made from a can. I realised too late these should be bend on the top side towards the tanks body.. there should be some thin stripes between the fenders, but i simply ran out of time and had to finish it (i could play with the weathering for months, but i had to hurry it up to catch the deadline :( ). I also added some rusty chain to the left side, going around the back. Left turret side got again some spare tracks and Eduard´s MG on top.

I wanted to use some foliage for masking around the tank, but i could not find any nice suitable tree in local hobby/electric train shops and there was no time to make one on my own, so i dedcided at least hide part of the gun barrel into some potato sacks - found old tenous headscarf, cut it into some thin stripes and reel it around the gun barrel. Then i used some wire, rusted it, made eyes in the ends by pulling it through flattened needle and used this to hold the sacks on the barrel. I wanted to add some interest to the area too, so one end of the wire is holding on the track hook on the turret. At first i wanted to cover whole gun barrel, but then i thought it would be shame to hide such a nice details on it .

One thing i feel sorry about - i have lost the front reflector... i was looking for it around for few days, nothing... then yesterday evening, after i already gave the Tiger away, i found it under my bench.... :badmood:

I got to run to work right now, so i ll add some shots later today :) Just a teaser then ..

DSCN2228.jpg

And ye, my shots taking still sucks.. :( need better light badly.. Well have a great day guys, for now bb.

• Like 1

Ok in the end i have some more time yet :)

Part of the kit was some kind of base/stand. At first it was ment to be just wooden base (ordered by my friend, who asked me to make this build), but in the end the base was quite too big.. Given the limited time i had (one day at the time), i was thinking what to do with it and decided to make two little "isles" of grass with ammo boxes and such (also the friend for who i m building this likes cats, so.. :D ). So this was the result :)

DSCN2221.jpg

DSCN2222.jpg

DSCN2223.jpg

I m going to make some RFI thread now :)

(forgot to add the link to the WIP thread... seems i m geting old.. :D

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991759-tiger-ii-april-1945-shots-heavy-;/ )

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 3