Painting: Submarine hulls

Just a general inquiry, what's your method of painting sub hulls? They're deceptively tricky, and sometimes with a resin kit, they can be weighty. I must admit I haven't come up with a good way to do it, any ideas?

It really depends on the country the submarine belongs too. USA modern is fairly straight forward up to seawolf class, humbrol 60 for the lower hull and satin black for the upper hull with matt black for the non-slip walkways. generally i use the red as an overall coat/primer, then mask a line for the black, then finally mask for the walkways.

Russian submarines generally have a white waterline marking, so i start with matt white all over then mask for the red, followed by satin black either side of white line, followed by walkway.

Older submarines with no rubber tiles, pre 1980, i use matt black for the upper hull.

Older submarines are country specific u-boats etc and painted to suit.

Hope this helps Chris

I use flat black Gunze 343. Then drybrushing with dark gray (R 74), followed by a burned siena wash. After that I take middle or redbrown acrylic-colour to paint slightly over the panel lines. At least I take black oil colour on a tissue and rub it in the surface.