Revell 1/72 Panther Ausf A

badger

Hi All and a belated Merry Christmas!!!

Probably not going to be any progress on this now for a while as I became a dad on Christmas Day.

After a long and exhausting labour my wonderful wife gave birth to a baby girl.

Over the moon with her (although currently barely functioning as only had an hours sleep tonight).

More at some point in the future.

Ben

Belated congratulations to you and your wife!!!!

As a parent of a soon to be 10 year old and soon to be 8 year old, I remember that those for those first few months where a whirlwind and I'd be amazed if you get anything done for at least 6 months!!! :winkgrin:

My one recommendation above all else, until you're in a proper routine, is to sleep whenever your daughter sleeps - regardless of time of the day!!

All the best to the the three of you!!

Yours

Andrew

"More at some point in the future"

Kits or kids ?! Congrats anyway, some modellers report getting some building done in wee small hours during milk bottle feeds etc . Can't imagine it myself but don't worry time passes quick enough .

Colic

No sleeping ( GOLDEN ADVICE :cry it out baby , cry it out ...)

Teething

Kindergarten

school

A few years later thinking they know ( and definitely costing!)more than yourself ....

Thanks for the advice - finding it a bit of a challenge at times so far but the good moments most definitely make up for the bad!

Congratulations Ben.....Best wishes to all three of you! :thumbsup:

Thanks Sarge!! Bit miffed my wife managed to bake a mini human in 9 months yet I didn't manage to finish a single kit!!

• Like 1

Ben

Belated congratulations to you and your wife!!!!

As a parent of a soon to be 10 year old and soon to be 8 year old, I remember that those for those first few months where a whirlwind and I'd be amazed if you get anything done for at least 6 months!!! :winkgrin:

My one recommendation above all else, until you're in a proper routine, is to sleep whenever your daughter sleeps - regardless of time of the day!!

All the best to the the three of you!!

Yours

Andrew

Hi Andrew - thanks for the advice - fully intend to take you up on it!! She's just been diagnosed with colic which affects her at night pretty badly, so we're going to have to learn how to sleep during the day!!!

• 7 months later...

Wow

Doesn't time fly.

My daughters now nearly 8 months, over the colic (and she's weaning well), sleeping through most nights and crawling!!!!!

On the other hand I still haven't finished anything!!

Have just splashed out on the CMK wheels for this as was reading a Steven Zagola article in an old issue of military modelling last night where he builds this kit and it got me thinking.

Was going to order the part etch set which supplies rings to detail up the wheels and add the demarcation between tyre and rim but then realised they have the wrong number of bolts anyway. THe CMK set was actually cheaper and replaces the 4 outermost wheels on each side.

Got a couple of bits to clear first then hoping to get back into this!

Edited by badger

Hi Sarge

Yep - was hoping Zvezda might come to the rescue. Really like their kits even though they are "snap tite".

Just picked up their early tiger and it's better than Revell's by a long way!

Got a hasegawa puma to add the last bits to and then try and finish my gpw figure then I can dive back into this!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time - wheels have arrived and they look good. will have to remove the Revell ones to fit them so lets hope they come off without breaking the stub axles.

Have also ordered a set of OKB Grigoriv tracks for this as I've thrown so much aftermarket at it, it would be silly not to get the final piece in the form of the correct mid pattern tracks. May take a while as I also ordered a load of other bits to save on postage but it shouldn't hold things up any more than they already are :whistle:

Might try and do a bit on this next time I get some desk time

Ben

• 4 months later...

Thread resurrection time!!

Well the tracks finally turned up at the weekend after ordering them in August!! (serves me right for ordering some very esoteric resin conversion sets that took forever to arrive in stock at Tracks and Troops!!)

Also had a set of new resin sprockets that OKB brought out whilst waiting for the order so truly do have all the bits now. Just need some spare time to crack on with it.

Watch this space

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Haven't forgotten about this one:

A photo of the shiny new(ish) bits:

32546451463_1c978de462_z.jpg

I need to get cracking back on with this as I now have the same project with a Revell Panther G that I got as part of a job lot of spares from ebay. The upper hull was missing but a grovelling email to revell (and an offer to pay for it) saw a replacement arrive in less than 2 weeks.

Go Revell - best customer service out there in my opinion!!! Airfix sadly have let me down recently by not being able to supply a spare canopy for a kit they released in the last 12 months and decals for another that is still current. I offered to pay but was told they didn't have spares?

Shan't mention Dragon and even worse are Italeri who just totally ignore you!

Right - rant over :angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, badger said:

Go Revell - best customer service out there in my opinion!!! Airfix sadly have let me down recently by not being able to supply a spare canopy for a kit they released in the last 12 months and decals for another that is still current. I offered to pay but was told they didn't have spares?

Shan't mention Dragon and even worse are Italeri who just totally ignore you!

Right - rant over :angrysoapbox.sml:

You can add Asuka to that list.

John.

• Like 1

Ironically about an hour after my last post I had an email from Italeri re my parts request so fingers crossed.

Seems it's better to email direct than fill in the customer service form

11 hours ago, BerndM said:

Incredible project the level of details for this scale is amazing !

Thank you - I try! And must try harder as I haven't touched this in too long :tmi:

• Like 1

Hi Bernd 

Thanks for that - makes me feel a bit better :thumbsup2:

Apparently the tracks can be bent using hot water or a hair dryer. They are fairly flexible out of the packet but not enough to bend all the way round the running gear.

My cunning plan is to use a different, unassembled kit lower hull and running gear (I have a few of the revell panthers!) to form the tracks around, then attach them to the model. 

Some folks make a jig / former, but I'm hoping my way will work OK. 

Cheers for looking in.

Ben