C Type Jaguar Ecurie Ecosse - 1/8 scratch

Thanks guys.

Work has been somewhat intermittent of late due to the stuff I mentioned before.

Yes, Mr C - I'm taking good care of my (infinitely) better half.

She's quite enjoying me running round with nibbles, food, wine etc... (plus all the housework, shopping, laundry etc...)

C.C.... Very kind words but as I frequently say, I'm just a plastic-basher the same as everyone else.

The plans were obtained from various sources:

Chassis elevations are from genuine Jaguar drawing that were given to me years ago.

Other plans are just from Google, along with about 200 reference pics of this particular car and the Brooklands gold C - D Type Jaguar book.

Anyone can scratch build if they take the plunge.

1/8 scale makes it easier as everything is so big.

If you fancy giving it a go but aren't sure where to get stuff, give me a yell.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Jump in.

You could easily surprise yourself.

Nothing I do is brain surgery.

Honestly, it's a case of look at the bit you want to make (photo's of the real bit) and work out how to make it from old yogurt pots, sticky back plastic and junk.

OK - That's the Blue Peter bit but in reality, it is just like that.

The hardest bit is getting the main body parts first which TBH isn't exactly cheap.

Mind you, the entire finished model could still work out cheaper than buying a Pocher - and FAR more rewarding.

I now get bodies 3D printed to use as a master for vac forming but the 3D shell can be used 'as-is'. if you don't envisage making another.

ANYTHING you need, or help, I'm here.

I'd love to see a few new 'scratchers' on the car forum.

Roy.

I love watching these builds. The results you guys get compared to what you start with is amazing. The cost and amount of scratch building that go into them scare me away from them. Maybe someday.

:cheers:

I like watching builds. I actually like to read how people build them. Whether it's scratch building or an oob kit build. If I could find a massive book that catalogued step by step builds of models I'd be in heaven lol.

I may not comment but it doesn't mean I don't look and appreciate them. Keep them up :)

Oh and if someone wants to scratch me a 1/24 body and basic chassis for a Volvo 480 that'd be smashing ;) haha

Ashley

I've only done one blue Jag prior to this one but funnily enough, the most 'prolific' Jaguar race cars weren't green.

The blue is Ecurie Ecosse, a team Jaguar were heavily involved in and I have to admit, I like the colours.

My very first scratch build was BRG though.

The Le Mans winning C Type.

The build thread is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957329-18-c-type-jaguar/

P1010058_zps32cf8844.jpg

P1010031_zps59fee47a.jpg

P1010061_zpsbc2c0144.jpg

P1010060_zpsfaafa42c.jpg

That's a registration number I associate with the Hawthorn D-Type. Did they transfer it across?

OK I'd like to weigh in my 2 cents - or as you lads say 2 bob - er - pence, or what ever is your cheepest penny-stuff. Whew- in trouble already!

Through very diligent hard work, Roy has taken large-scale model building into a new realm. No it's not Wingrove- land or any of the Italian masters who work largely in metal and fabric, but it IS something that did not exist before, now in model form. Roy has found techniques and sources which can make your dream in basic form and then, using drawings and good ol' measurements dress them in all the craft-type materials he mentions. It helps if you're as ingenious and creative as Roy to see what will work then fashion it.

He keeps saying it's not that hard, if you're motivated by a passion for a car and just give it a go. I largely agree but submit there's a way to get a toe in the water without drowning in complexity. It's what I've been doing with my Pocher kit-based Rolls.

Through a combination of old, wonky parts, higher standards and necessity, I suggest you try scratch building parts of your kits that for any reason are unsuitable. In my case the big thing was the doors. Had to make my own. Period. No other way I could wrestle the kit bits into what they should have been. Brass window frames and Lexan windows are another; they do not exist on a Pocher Rolls kit. . Now I'm casting a wary eye of dissatisfaction on the hood panels. Other procedures, though not exactly scratch-built parts, are things like cutting the top, windshield, body panel additions, moving fenders, sectioning over the frame rails and different, superior methods to attach parts. Changing the look of the stock parts has proven very exciting to me.

These procedures can lead to a complete scratch build because they teach you so much. Yes, as he says, expense is involved but seldom has that prevented a spectacular model from being born. I have learned that advanced modelers never let common sense stand in the way of a satisfying model. :devil: Ahem...

Anyway, my point being, baby steps like mine can get you near to Roy's methods and within shouting of his results. Partial scratch building, if you've the temperament and patience can get you there. But he has proven to be a very crafty boy and few of us can sit at his workbench.

:worthy:

• Like 1

That's incredibly kind Mr C, particularly coming from a master like you.

However - you 'know' what I'm trying to preach to the unconverted.

There is NO 'magic', mistique, black art or peculiar skill to any of it.

It's all about saying to yourself 'I'll give it a go, and if I get stuck - ASK!'.

There really, really is nothing here any of you couldn't do.

The difference is, that the majority - me included until a few years back - don't know anything different other than opening a kit box, and that's it.

PLEASE - ask me about getting body parts made, engine and wheel bits - I can help re: Aston, Jaguar or Ferrari - and jump in!

There is a huge number of people here who would and could, help.

Take the leap, and try.

You will be amazed (as I was with my fist C Type) that isn't as 'impossible' as you might think.

Roy.

I will probably never build a big scale car like this, even if I could find the skill, I doubt I'd ever find the patience, nevertheless, I do seriously love watching these builds. I've always done my own spanner work so appreciate the mechanical complexities, mainly ;), & completely appreciate these beautiful classics, so please keep inflicting them on us Roy, its a lot more pleasure than pain. :)

Steve.

I've scratch build a few bits and bobs for my models over the years. Simple things like airboxes and windscreens etc. Wish I'd cast the airbox tbh as I need a few more for future builds of the same kit lol.

I'm not afraid to do it, I just don't enjoy doing it as much as building a kit. Too much thinking involved for me lol. Thinking equals stress.

Ashley

Hello Roy, I'm a new member to the forum, but have been watching the builds on here for several years, of all the builds on the site, I always check to see if you have posted anything new first and was a little bit gutted when you seemingly stopped updating for a while, your builds are some of the most enjoyable to read/watch and learn from on the forum so please keep plugging away even if nobody seems to notice as I'm sure that, just like me, people are definitely watching, learning and enjoying your waffle and pictures and would be slightly saddened if you stopped doing so! even if you don't know it.

I am a HUGE Jag/Aston fan so these builds are especially enjoyable to watch progress for me. The first car I got to drive on my own was a Series 1, 4.2 e-type convertible in green at my first job at a classic car restoration/maintenance garage and the second was a Aston Martin DB4 volante in a similar blue to this Jag... I didn't have a licence at the time (15 years old) but it was on a private estate and with customers consent, happy times! I look forward to more updates :)

Kindest Regards,

Andy.

Yeah that was me. I regularly follow Roy's projects and I am amazed by the things you do every single time. All the credit you, Roy, get is so well deserved because your builds manage to inspire people around you with your ingenuity and skill. I have learned a lot of things watching your topic, because you make me think outside the box. In this case there wasn't a box or an existing kit anywhere in sight, just like your cars.

Thanks for posting your process of creating these beauties and thank you for inspiring me, the mad rookie.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely chuffed if my scratching and bashing has gotten someone else into the 'have a go' arena.

I'm always trying to convince people that it isn't black magic.

Jump in - have a go.

Even if the end result isn't too great, at least YOU did it.

I can assure you, there are loads of bits on my first green C Type that I would now try to do far better.

Roy

• Like 1

I don't stop in here often but I'm glad to see this one back on the go. And I second (third?) what Roy and Mr C have said. I haven't built a car in over 35 years but I am still plugging on slowly with my Airfix Bentley, designing and 3d printing parts if I need them (and no, I've never tried it before!) or just making them from bits of plastic as I would for a tiny aeroplane......start with the bits you need to improve a kit and work on from there.....it's not long before the bits you need to improve become the whole thing!

As Roy says..take the leap and try...

Ian

AS usual,,,, "The Boss" is producing beauty, technique and sculptural art.... Ecurie Ecosse on top of it...

Plenty of details to learn from, thank you Roy.

In agreement with Codger, one needs to absolutely experiment scratch building in baby steps. I am not proud of what i have done looking back, but it made me more agressive and confident to push the envelope a little more each time i sit at my bench... and gives me way more pleasure.

Also, luckily, there are great master modelers on this forum, which inspires and raises one's own bar and standards. I find myself refusing results i would have been very happy with until quite recently.

Thank you all.

OMG...

What do I say???

The BOSS?

I seriously don't think so but I'm genuinely honoured that anyone would give me that moniker.

I'm always striving to get people to see that what I do isn't so much as difficult, but different.

I wish I could entice someone to have a go at biggie stuff scratching?

Then you would see how enjoyable it is, and actually, not as hard as you think.

Of course - be prepared to spend many months on the project - maybe longer - but you can always sidetrack onto a simple OOB kit build as you go along.

As I've said before, please ASK if you fancy having a go.

A 'simple' place to start is with a conversion of the 1/8 Revell E Type.

There are tons of mods and ways to vastly improve the kit.

I have three more of them in my stash for future bashing.

I have umpteen resin parts I'm willing to share if anyone wants to have a bash.

Just ask.

Roy.

• Like 1

A bit of 'two steps forwards and one back' today.

I started making up the basics of the rear boot floor and fuel tank yesterday.

All simple, flat plastic sheet stuff.

Loads of card templates first though.

Trial fit - ?

Fine.

Then I started to look at it more and more...

A check - somehow I had some measurements WAY out.

It bugged me even though it will virtually be unseen at the end so - I ripped it apart and started again.

A day wasted.

The replacement fits a treat and is now at least the right shape.

Ho hum. On we go.

Roy.

P1012532_zpspmyjv8vx.jpg

P1012533_zpsnsygpxie.jpg

P1012534_zpslkfvyc04.jpg

P1012535_zps0cgkwqwh.jpg

P1012536_zpslupxcjuo.jpg

P1012537_zps2nplete8.jpg

• Like 2

So Roy, a question. Do you clamp down the plastic when you cut out the shapes? I'm having a hard time making symmetrical parts look, well, symmetrical.... The Boss suits you right.