C Type Jaguar Ecurie Ecosse - 1/8 scratch

Thanks KP

A little more done here.

I've made a basic floor panel and built up the firewall using umpteen card templates.

Added the front 'lip' to the body for bonnet/hood location.

The firewall is now glued in - it isn't in the pics - just loosely positioned.

Bare metal foil over it next and then start building up the interior tub.

Roy.

P1012425_zps5lmutrgc.jpg

P1012424_zps7ebclbti.jpg

P1012426_zps1jdveh9f.jpg

P1012430_zpseugdm5rs.jpg

P1012432_zps3jvrk1xv.jpg

P1012433_zpsho0set46.jpg

P1012435_zpsqs7ix1lf.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

I've made the main part of the ftont frame and engine cradle now.

Brass tube and section.

The long 'legs' will run along the inside of the cockpit and give lots of bonding support for the front end - eventually.

All just sprayed with etch primer at present.

Roy.

P1012447_zpsvqdrmnks.jpg

P1012448_zpsibqlg5hl.jpg

P1012451_zpsruihfkwo.jpg

P1012450_zpsuqkvoqul.jpg

P1012452_zpsjct6hgrw.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

That diagram is pretty cool and it definitely takes the guesswork out of how to make the frame and other components. Of course you still have to fabricate it all and you definitely have a knack for doing that. Where do you get the line drawings in the proper scale?

Funnily enough, Googling often bring up pretty good drawings but actually, the car manufacturers and the associated heritage departments are usually very helpful and the cost is minimal - a few pounds to cover print and postage - literally. (NOT Ferrari - they will tell you and let you have - nothing.)

Aston Martin are superb - They e-mailed me tons of stuff for my DBR1, as have Lister for the 'knobbly' project.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

OH, DRAT.....

I'm building this little beastie for myself but a 'certain' known driver who is determined to own the real one later this year has now become interested and wants it as this one...

What do I do???

I have to admit though, the blue Ecosse car is pretty gorgeous!

29EC55D700000578-0-image-a-1_14351625505

29EC560B00000578-0-image-a-3_14351626035

29EC55E300000578-0-image-a-12_1435165009

MO15_r212_042_zpslzq12gk3.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Roy, just build two of these beauties.

I imagine that you can do that.

Wonderful stuff you are doing...

Nice color. It looks similar to the other Jag that you a year or more ago. It's funny that I have always associated the older Jags with the darker green and the three I've seen you do are blue and the white. Way back in the day around the 1970's I had an XK 120 that was green and all hood. So much for British racing green.

I've only done one blue Jag prior to this one but funnily enough, the most 'prolific' Jaguar race cars weren't green.

The blue is Ecurie Ecosse, a team Jaguar were heavily involved in and I have to admit, I like the colours.

My very first scratch build was BRG though.

The Le Mans winning C Type.

The build thread is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957329-18-c-type-jaguar/

P1010058_zps32cf8844.jpg

P1010031_zps59fee47a.jpg

P1010061_zpsbc2c0144.jpg

P1010060_zpsfaafa42c.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Funnily enough, Googling often bring up pretty good drawings but actually, the car manufacturers and the associated heritage departments are usually very helpful and the cost is minimal - a few pounds to cover print and postage - literally. (NOT Ferrari - they will tell you and let you have - nothing.)

Aston Martin are superb - They e-mailed me tons of stuff for my DBR1, as have Lister for the 'knobbly' project.

Roy.

I can give the Ferrari no go a second vote, numerous times I have emailed various different departments in both English and Italian not once have I got what I was after but they are normally very polite in the reply as to why they can't let just anybody have pictures of certain bits or in depth data. I ever went to the extent to apply for a few positions they had going in the f1 team to see if i could get a proper responce and i did receive a nice letter from them to tell me my experience within motorsport isnt what they are looking for ast this point but they will keep my cv on file (I know they wont).

Porsche are another one that doesn't like to give up any information at all on their race cars, I emailed a few people from them to find the paint code from the 2015 919 hybrid lm car to be told they can't release sensitive data! I mean how is paint sensitive it's paint, I just wanted to know what white it was not how the paint is made up molecularly. The porsche heritage museum are good though for the older cars, recently I asked about an old 962 lm car they had and was sent back all the specs they had with about 150 pictures. I don't think they have the same concerns with info as the factory porsche team have as it's all a little irrelevant for motor sport now.

Shaun

Thanks Keith.

I only gave the shell one pass of clear and left it at that as I don't want 'toffee apple' gloss, but just a nice deep shine.

It's all unwrapped again so now I can get back on with it.

More engine work and interior and then see what's next.

Roy.

P1012477_zpsvo9t02wc.jpg

P1012478_zps0j4oszen.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Kp.

You know, the funny thing is that sometimes I get to a stage a 'little' past this and I'm tempted to leave it there.

There's just something nice about a shell and chassis. It just has a simplicity and purity.

I may build the whole car, but I might still just add the engine and front suspension etc, and stop there.

Edited by roymattblack

A little more done here you guys. (Too hot to get up to my usual rate of work)

I've started adding bits to the front end.

Brake pipes, slave, top up tank and oil surge-tank.

All of the parts are from scrap stuff in my bits box. Don't throw stuff out if you think it might be useful.

The engine is just sitting to keep an eye on clearances.

Roy.

P1012497_zpshnszsfnn.jpg

P1012499_zpsqpudkr5w.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Porsche are another one that doesn't like to give up any information at all on their race cars, I emailed a few people from them to find the paint code from the 2015 919 hybrid lm car to be told they can't release sensitive data! I mean how is paint sensitive it's paint, I just wanted to know what white it was not how the paint is made up molecularly. The porsche heritage museum are good though for the older cars, recently I asked about an old 962 lm car they had and was sent back all the specs they had with about 150 pictures. I don't think they have the same concerns with info as the factory porsche team have as it's all a little irrelevant for motor sport now.

Shaun

I've found Porsche to be helpful on the older stuff, at least. I built an RSK replica - Porsche never had an issue with the kit replica manufacturer. Porsche Club GB even gave the kits away as competition prizes. I had no end of help and information from AFN Porsche on their famous 550 restoration. They even gave me their paint codes on the best match for their period racing silver, which I used for my own build. Ironically, the nearest match they found was an 80s Mercedes colour! :)

• 5 weeks later...

An update on this one.

I haven't posted for a while due to Summer hols, my wife breaking her foot, hospitals accordingly and tbh, not being sure that many are interested in scratch builds being a bit out of their territory as a hobby.

Anyway -

Interior 'tub' has been built up and fitted. The tunnel covering was tedious - 5 metres of cord wrapped around, glued, and bound with solder wire before paint.

I'm starting on the rear underneath panelling. All glued in with epoxy and edged with thick ally tape so that when painted and some rivet detail added, it will (hopefully) look like boxed edges.

The door is now fitted and works, using my old dogleg brass rod/tube hinges.

I added a rubber seal on the inside of the body around the door opening so that when the door is closed, there's no gap or light bleed.

Pedals added.

Decals printed for future use...

Sorry - lots of pics.

Roy.

P1012513_zpslnspq3rn.jpg

P1012514_zpsov2kzeop.jpg

P1012515_zpsgyhv19z7.jpg

P1012518_zpshhuyt391.jpg

P1012519_zpsblydkrzn.jpg

P1012520_zpsahudgbzb.jpg

P1012521_zpsjkymdoyp.jpg

P1012522_zpswayx3ljr.jpg

P1012523_zpskmiqkzlx.jpg

P1012524_zps0zork8rr.jpg

P1012527_zpswgsshrfy.jpg

P1012528_zpskibhnpbg.jpg

P1012525_zps7tzvskcs.jpg

P1012526_zpswaxwhpom.jpg

P1012529_zpsapo1uymb.jpg

P1012531_zpslva50tkp.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 4

Never apologize for too many pictures old Man.

It's great news to see you back on here; there's been a mini-resurfacing of 1/8 scale very recently and more the merrier. And scratch builds are never boring; they are always informative and entertaining..

It's terrible news that your Lovely Lady has a painful injury. Please convey my wishes for speedy recovery and be sure to wait on her hand and foot! :frantic:

• Like 1

I'm amazed by this beautiful work and this methods ! :yikes:

Think I'm going to try knitting instead of modeling, because never obtain such terrific results :mental: take care of your hands, they are weight in gold :thumbsup2:

Where did you get the plans to build this car ?