Bristol Beaufort all hatches open?

Lightningboy2000

I'm currently in the middle of detailing the interior of a Mk.1 - L9878 MW-R to be precise.

I have been approached by Peter Nesbitt nephew of Roy Conyers Nesbitt and I've been adding as much interior detail as possible with the aim of having some pilots in situ.

The plan is to have the aircraft as if it has been stood down from a sortie. It will have the torpedo in place but the idea is to have as many hatches open ready for crew egress. I know about the port side fuselage hatch, but I'm also aware of the escape hatch in the nose underside.

I haven't seen any b&w photos of this hatch being open, so would it be appropriate to have it open? Also what other hatches would be open while the aircraft is on ethe ground?

Martin

Hi Tony, I have a B&W photo through a hatch in the canopy if that's the one you mean?

Peter Nesbitt has supplied loads of photos including IWM images but the only major access point I can see is the hatch upper port next to the turret.

I was contemplating opening the hatch in the nose underside, but I haven't seen any period photographs showing this open. I suppose I should just apply artistic licence.

What we need is an up to date book that shows more structural details.

Martin

The Warpaint Special on the Beaufort has colour picture of a Beaufort in Malta with a crew member sitting on the top of the fuselage possibly through a hatch behind the canopy. Although I cannot see it in pictures or drawings. Also look at page 38/39

Also my dim memory seems to think that the Beaufort at War had a photo of Beaufort with hatches open but that is from too many years ago to be certain

Edited by Charlie Hugo

Martin,

Check my build out of my resin Beaufort with hatches open here:

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=234312&page=1

There is a asymmetrical cockpit escape hatch. it consists of two pieces that fold inwards from the rear of the cockpit roof to the first cross frame. They are bot on the observers side, with the left hand hinge being along the centre line and the right hand hinge being at the top of the side sliding windows. Must have been VERY awkward for the pilot to use!! see below pictures from the AWM.

kfuFxl.jpg

6SZgxz.jpg

Hope that helps!

Edited by pbhawkin

Nice find Chris.

I`ve never seen that shot of the nose parachute exit before, I bet that they were gutted when the hatch was covered by a gun blister.

Martin,

In case these help here are a few pics which I`ve been collecting together for my own projects;

Cockpit roof exit;

2_Squadron_Hughes_Field_18_May_1944_Beau

large_zpsbbhzdire.jpg

img616_zpsnw2hdrhx.jpg

Normal crew entrance;

22-squadron-beaufort-aw282-some-crew-pos

Hope these help and good luck with your project,

Cheers

Tony

From the Imperial War Museum website:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205196706

Chris

Thanks Chris, so that hatch looks like a drop out hatch, or opens inwards. I did see some photos of a restored cockpit section the other day and saw a view of that hatch, but can't find it now.

I'll probably open the canopy hatch and have one of the crew sitting on top like in that Malta color photo.

The Warpaint Special on the Beaufort has colour picture of a Beaufort in Malta with a crew member sitting on the top of the fuselage possibly through a hatch behind the canopy. Although I cannot see it in pictures or drawings. Also look at page 38/39

Also my dim memory seems to think that the Beaufort at War had a photo of Beaufort with hatches open but that is from too many years ago to be certain

Thanks Charlie just taken a look at that photo as I have a copy of that book which Peter loaned me. That photo looks like a pretty good starting point for inspiration.

I'll get some photos up and start a build thread at some point even thoughI have been tinkering with it for quite a while.

Martin

Nice find Chris.

I`ve never seen that shot of the nose parachute exit before, I bet that they were gutted when the hatch was covered by a gun blister.

Martin,

In case these help here are a few pics which I`ve been collecting together for my own projects;

Hope these help and good luck with your project,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for those pics Tony especially for the first one, which is a sad sight. Handy for the oily weathering on top of the wing.

Would that be the fold inwards hatch that pbhawkin is talking about (in your first photo)? It does look like there's framing inside the side window.

Martin

Martin,

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=234312&page=1

There is a asymmetrical cockpit escape hatch. it consists of two pieces that fold inwards from the rear of the cockpit roof to the first cross frame. They are bot on the observers side, with the left hand hinge being along the centre line and the right hand hinge being at the top of the side sliding windows. Must have been VERY awkward for the pilot to use!!

Thanks for that, very impressed with your 1/144 Beauforts! So I will have to make a cut in the clear plastic canopy & add the two pieces in clear acetate.

Really could do with some closer pics of that restored cockpit at Moorabbin museum.

Cheers

Martin

Wow, very cool Beaufort, and in 1:144 scale yet! And I thought adding all the details, especially the antennae, was crazy in 1:72 scale! I love the inclusion of the canopy shades - I should have thought about that for my Beaufort build. By the way, the two photos that are attributed to me in your build thread aren't mine, or at least I don't see any that are mine. Thanks anyway!

Here are a couple of photos that might help, if they haven't been seen already. First, the rear section of the starboard canopy is open in this photo - is this the canopy hatch that is being referred to? It looks like it is split down the middle and hinges down. The photo was taken during the assembly of a DAP Beaufort in Australia.

roof%20hatch.jpg

Here is the port side hatch. It was my understanding that the hatch opens by rolling down. This is also A DAP Beaufort.

starboard%20hatch.jpg

I'll keep looking, I may have more photos. I gathered up quite a few during my build of the Special Hobby kit. "Bar the gates with Beauforts!"

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

Hmm I thought I copied those pics from your WiP of the Beaufort, but if not yours is a great inspiration.

And the first picture in the post above shows the inward opening medial (medical term for towards the middle) half of the hatch. The pilot would have to somehow get under it to exit through the hatch unless it could be taken off in an emergency?

Now here is an interesting crash photo.

1_beau_fs_071_2.jpg

Note that the canopy hatch is open, the lower nose "hatch" (panel?) seems to be open or at least missing, and it might show additional roof panel(s) removed next to the port side hatch, right at the very apex of the roof, difficult to see that last one, it may just be an illusion created by something laying on top of the roof.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Martin, I have a disc from Steve Long with pictures from the factory in Oz during manufacture, and their cockpit section in Camden museum. Would you like a copy?

That's very kind of you thanks, I would be interested actually as this is definitely a long term project.

Not very often I go to town like this with a kit. I've noticed via the SMW thread that you're going (to Telford), so I could meet you there. More than likely recognise you from shows in East Anglia as I often take a look at the Ipswich stand. Will be along with the West Suffolk guys as an unofficial member as I don't regularly attend & I think there table as along from yours.

Cheers

Martin

I built this one a while back. from the Contrail / Sanger kit 1.48th , with the rear hatch open.

Most pics I have seen of Beauforts on the ground usually have this hatch open.

That is a very impressive Beaufort! Looks very mean in 1/48. Less fiddley than 1/72.

Maybe now that Airfix has done a Blenheim & Beaufighter, they will do a Beaufort?

Martin

Now here is an interesting crash photo.

1_beau_fs_071_2.jpg

Note that the canopy hatch is open, the lower nose "hatch" (panel?) seems to be open or at least missing, and it might show additional roof panel(s) removed next to the port side hatch, right at the very apex of the roof, difficult to see that last one, it may just be an illusion created by something laying on top of the roof.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, superb pics they are! Rather sad the last one looks! ;)

Bill, I have taken a lot of inspiration from your fantastic build thread of your DAP machine, despite me having built one of those a few years ago.

This one I have been taking a lot longer to concentrate on. So long it's embarrasing as I have been taking a few breaks and tending to other kits.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

There is a asymmetrical cockpit escape hatch. it consists of two pieces that fold inwards from the rear of the cockpit roof to the first cross frame. They are bot on the observers side, with the left hand hinge being along the centre line and the right hand hinge being at the top of the side sliding windows. Must have been VERY awkward for the pilot to use!! see below pictures from the AWM.

kfuFxl.jpg

6SZgxz.jpg

Hope that helps!

That helps immensely thanks!

Will definitely be incorporating that opened hatch, which will mean cutting into the clear plastic.

Would be good if a vacform canopy could be found, so I can avoid hacking into a plastic one.

Thanks

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin

I'll make you a copy and see you at Telford. :coolio:

Hi Bentwaters, I do need to know your name. I'm sure I was told by Ian on our table next door to you. I picked up the cd thanks. Are you at the show then? I got the impression you couldn't make it.