1/48 Academy F-4B Phantom II VF-111 'Sundowners'

Flashman

So finally I've got round to posting this, I got the Academy 48 Phantom in Hannants when it was a rather exciting new kit and have held onto it since then. When this came out it was a challenger to the Hasegawa monopoly on this aircraft in the scale and apart from the dodgy multi-coloured plastic it looks like a rather good kit (in particular the munitions included) so I've elected to turn down the aftermarket offerings already springing up and build it OOB. It will only be my second 1/48 build, so I'm looking forward to it!

-Flash

31bb8c01-cdc3-4894-b940-9a2de0a7ee2c_zps

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Right, just to let anyone watching this know, I should be able to start this in a week or so, have been very busy with real life stuff but am going to finish of my corsair, put enterprise on hold and get started! I'm in for a period of holiday from the 15th so will properly start campaigning then.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, finished the corsair today so will be finally starting this tomorrow. Just a few box pictures- certainly looks like an impressive kit, also includes a decent volume of munitions which is nice.Only issue is the MCP pre-coloured kit- no doubt this is has been covered extensively by others so I don't want to get hung up on it but all I can say is that it was a very bad idea on the part of academy! Anyway, I don't want to rant, so here we go- I will march to war tomorrow morning!

48%20Phantom%20WIP_zpsgskp3xhx.jpg

48%20Phantom%20WIP%202_zpszcavcnha.jpg

48%20Phantom%20WIP%203_zpsal6eljfx.jpg?1

48%20Phantom%20WIP%204_zps5kpfhimx.jpg?1

• Like 3

So yesterday I had family yuletide distractions but was able to kick off bright and early today- I started with the cockpit.

Cockpit tub is nothing special:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%205_zpsg1c6yudq.jpg

Dashboard is done in that damned black plastic but looks pretty detailed:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%206_zps2yurawg7.jpg

Assembled the cockpit details:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%209_zpsfwqsnvy2.jpg

Dashboard sprayed with Humbrol 64:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%207_zpspraeonsg.jpg

Managed to bring out the details with a mixture of painting with Tamiya XF-1, drybrushing with XF-1 and XF-24 Sea Grey, thinned Humbrol grey wash, and used Tamiya X-19 smoke and Humbrol Gloss Clear on the dials (along with a bit of flat red).

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2014_zpsihrrvtqj.jpg

Sprayed the cockpit tub with Humbrol 64 and gave it a bit of dimension with wash, powder and drybrush weathering:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2018_zpsc6lztqub.jpg

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2016_zpsz0zozmmd.jpg

Built the seats: they're actually quite detailed although it's hard to see it in the shiny black MCP plastic, with ejector handles. Not sure that I missed out on much not using aftermarket to be honest, although some seatbelts would come in handy.

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2021_zpsoevm4zvd.jpg

Gave the landing gear bay parts a blast of citadel Skull White paint:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%208_zpstadh9bkw.jpg

And weathered them down with powder, drybryshing and a bit of wash:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2015_zpsm8mfzumu.jpg

Built and painted the wing landing gear- Humbrol 164 undercoat, Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey and then weathered primarily with Humbrol powder:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2013_zpswzn7ytax.jpg

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2023_zpslv3x3ut2.jpg

Fitted them into the assembled gear bays:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2022_zpshivparqx.jpg

And into the underwing mounts:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2020_zpsu8pgan81.jpg

I then sprayed the insides of the intakes with Skull White over Humbrol 64 and also did the fans which I have not photographed (forgot):

48%20Phantom%20WIP%2019_zpspknuqx0p.jpg

• Like 1

Just posting now what I did yesterday after I did the last update, have pressed on significantly but when I finished in the mancave last night I just thought 'buggrit, I'll upload tomorrow!' so here we are.

Worked on the engine fans- painted in Humbrol Dark Sea Grey then XF-56 and humbrol washes and powders.

48%20Phantom%20WIP%205_zpspnjvbr3h.jpg

And put the intakes together:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%204_zpsuscsy8vw.jpg

Gave the same metal treatment to the other engine parts, exhaust cones aren't detailed and could probably do with aftermarket. Pretty happy with the way the metal turned out though (this picture is about midway through the weathering process. No pun intended :winkgrin:).

48%20Phantom%20WIP%202_zps9y8j7aks.jpg

The fuselage assembly was top-and-bottom as opposed to left-and-right which is good for eliminating seams. Firstly I had to join the forward cockpit fuselage section to the underside of the fuselage with what looked like a far too thin join area- I was sweating considerably but Tamiya glue prevailed and it held!

48%20Phantom%20WIP%203_zpsk95kqcfk.jpg

While that was going on I built the actual air intakes (what I had thought were the intakes were the internal bit that you don't see):

48%20Phantom%20WIP_zps3gfjoqey.jpg

Then it came to the moment of truth: the great closing-up. Luckily it turned out better than I had dared to hope.

48%20Phantom%20WIP%208_zpslhoa8qwy.jpg

I then put in a considerable amount of compacted blu-tack as weight (hope it's enough!) and put the nosecone on- could have benefited form something to help it stay on.

48%20Phantom%20WIP%206_zpsohly7iii.jpg

I then started on the seats- nothing special in terms of detail but the head rest area is a bit better and that's the part you see. Painted the sides of the seat black and used Tamiya Field Grey on the cushions, thought that would be good enough. I then did as bit of drybrushing. I may make rudimentary seatbelts from tape.

48%20Phantom%20WIP%207_zps0d8d4xbw.jpg

Onwards and upwards now! -Flash

• Like 1

Built the tailfin:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%208_zpskvj59ssp.jpg

Starting to look like a Phantom now:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%203_zpsndi5p6gf.jpg

Did the wheels while it was drying:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%204_zpsune1evuo.jpg

and then started to climb the mountain of underwing stores:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%202_zpsr5anlxpj.jpg

48%20Phantom%20WIP_zpsrvj1lmqw.jpg

• Like 1

Masked up and sprayed the underside with Humbrol White:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%202_zpspuiruow1.jpg

Then remasked and sprayed the topside with Humbrol 64 Grey:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%203_zpszjihspdr.jpg

48%20Phantom%20WIP_zpsjfeqofrz.jpg

Have also started painting the munitions off-camera.

All Phantoms had gloss white landing gear and gear bays.

Jens

Cheers Jens, have done them in flat white so a simple gloss coat will soon sort that out!

Just cathcing up with your post, looking good thus far. The multi coloured plastic takes me back to my Matchbox days when I'd just started making kits.

Just as an assist, you mention nose weight. Since the fishing industry no longer make lead products I tried a gun shop. They do various sizes of shot for shotgun cartridges (I guess if you've just shot something you're not overly concerned with poisoning it!?!) It comes in large containers and lasts for ages. Being small it will fit nicely into most randomes. And no you don't require any form of licence to but it.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next update

• Like 1

Right, just in the nick of time I've managed to get this build finished on the deadline day so here it is! (along with a couple more WIP shots)

Painted the other bits on the fuselage and wings, put the landing gear on and started to climb the huge but rewarding mountain of decals:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%202_zpsijefna9k.jpg

Pretty happy with the way the cockpit turned out in the end, shows that it can look passable without spending loads of time detailing/ buying aftermarket:

48%20Phantom%20WIP%203_zps3biahrlr.jpg

Wish I'd not forgotten to do scratch seatbelts though.

Finished product- Phantom F4B of VF-111 Sundowners for the 2015 Britmodeller Vietnam Group Build:

48%20Phantom%207_zpskgdwny6t.jpg

48%20Phantom%205_zpskjvzfbum.jpg

48%20Phantom%206_zpsdyzitt3k.jpg

48%20Phantom%203_zpslrlnz8is.jpg

48%20Phantom%204_zpsnmjy8jdg.jpg

And with my only other 1/48 build, the old Airfix EA6B Prowler:

48%20Phantom_zpsmhbbjzj8.jpg

Am overall very happy with how it turned out, one or two errors here and there but I think I did OK! Cheers to everyone that had been watching the build. Have pretty much chosen my next one and hope to start tomorrow so watch Work in Progress to maybe see something large and shiny...

-Flash

• Like 3