Airfix 1/72 Javelin FAW.9 Build

Myself, I find helicopter noises to be the most challenging. Every time my Italian neighbors hear me chanting "wop, wop, wop" they file a complaint with the local authorities!

You see, that's why I don't build helicopter models - it's much too difficult to get that chopping/whirring sound correct.

Regards,

Jason

I'd forgotten about helicopters, and had to laugh at wop, wop, wop!

I've been concerned right from the beginning of this build that the upper wing roundel decals will not cope with being laid over the vortex generators. So I decided to do an experiment whilst I only had a primer to spoil, and see how well Parafilm masks would conform over the spiky wee devils. As it happens it worked quite well. I need to fix a couple of issues - a new blade for my circle cutter, and the Parafilm was prone to lifting up from the airbrush's draft. I think the lifting problem will be fixed by it sticking better to a high-gloss finish and lowering my air pressure.

Happy that I can tackle the upper wing roundels when the time comes I moved on to initial masking. I masked the walkway borders, nose-cone and air-intakes. Tamiya's new white plastic masking tape for curves proved quite handy and pliable for masking the lips of the air-intakes.

P1100283_zpsfcleq4z4.jpg

P1100300_zps5c378pgc.jpg

[EDIT] First coat of Xtracolour enamel was touch dry in 6 hours, so here's a couple of shots:

P1100301_zpsxij8wbi3.jpg

P1100302_zpsc0g8jsgt.jpg

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 6

Brilliant craftsmanship, it's very impressive what you've achieved so far.

I was thinking after all this hard work it would be typical that Airfix release a brand new 1/72 Javelin FAW.9 at Telford today!

Only joking, they'll probably release every version!! :evil_laugh:

Rich

Thanks Rich, That's what I'm hoping will happen. It worked earlier this year when I converted a Hasegawa/Frog RF-101 to an F-101C, two weeks later Valom announced their new Voodoo releases, Airfix have done the hard work with the research and CAD for their 1/48 Javelin, so hopefully it's only a matter of time (same goes for the Sea Vixen).

• Like 2

Lovely work, Mark. There is no excuse for that probe though - what were they thinking???

Richard in NZ

This is looking good, I think we are in for something special!

Thank you both, and yes Richard, that probe certainly seems a crude afterthought!

Camo unmasked, spot the "deliberate" mistake...

A couple of small touch-ups needed, mainly with the black walkway lines where the old thin masking tape I used has not stuck down as well as it could have.

P1100306_zps9rbecebs.jpg

And I can't type refueling correctly!

P1100307_zpselhhdumi.jpg

P1100308_zpsmr6jr9ng.jpg

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 6

Thanks Rich, That's what I'm hoping will happen. It worked earlier this year when I converted a Hasegawa/Frog RF-101 to an F-101C, two weeks later Valom announced their new Voodoo releases, Airfix have done the hard work with the research and CAD for their 1/48 Javelin, so hopefully it's only a matter of time (same goes for the Sea Vixen).

Couldn't agree more, I tend to stick to 1/72, I'd love airfix to downscale the Javelin and Sea Vixen. They'd look great next to my Swift, Hunters, Lightnings etc.

Rich

• Like 1

The picture is in the Dalrymple and Verdon publishing book on the Javelin by Richard A Franks.Page 35,The aircraft in question is MK7 XH780 being refueled by a Flight refuelling limited Canberra B Mk2.

Aparantly the smaller probe was ok to operate but once calculations had been made the drag was found to be excessive and the lance type designed and used instead.

I shan't post the pic for obvious reasons.

Am a big fan of the old flying flat-iron. My dear old dad served at Tengah as a radar techie for 60sqdn Javs and 20sqdn Hunters.

He wasn't too enamoured of having to climb into a solar heated tin tube to get at some miss behaving bit of valve!

I think the lance-like refuelling probe added an additional option to the Javelin armoury. If the the missiles and guns didn't work, you could stab the blighter!!!

Looking good by the way.

• Like 2

The picture is in the Dalrymple and Verdon publishing book on the Javelin by Richard A Franks.Page 35,The aircraft in question is MK7 XH780 being refueled by a Flight refuelling limited Canberra B Mk2.

Aparantly the smaller probe was ok to operate but once calculations had been made the drag was found to be excessive and the lance type designed and used instead.

I shan't post the pic for obvious reasons.

OK thanks for the reference. I think a mate of mine has that book, I'll check it out.

I still think Gloster just slapped that probe on to make the Javelin even ungainlier-looking. Mark, she does look sharp in that camouflage!

Regards,

Jason

Am a big fan of the old flying flat-iron. My dear old dad served at Tengah as a radar techie for 60sqdn Javs and 20sqdn Hunters.

He wasn't too enamoured of having to climb into a solar heated tin tube to get at some miss behaving bit of valve!

I think the lance-like refuelling probe added an additional option to the Javelin armoury. If the the missiles and guns didn't work, you could stab the blighter!!!

Looking good by the way.

Fantastic work, this looks great, love the scratch build bits to, hats off to you and thank you for sharing

All the best

Chris

Thanks, I'm glad you guys are finding it of interest.

great stuff, I have just acquired some of that Parafilm and will have to give it a go

Parafilm adheres best to a gloss finish. It's a laboratory cling-film for sealing beakers and test-tubes etc. It's designed to stretch an cling ,which is whey some people use it for canopies. They stretch the film and wrap the canopy, then cut around the frames with a sharp knife. My method for camo mask does not involve stretching.

Here's a link to a Google search that will provide heaps of how-to use Parafilm in modelling articles and video clips:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=parafilm++for+masking+canopies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=qxRBVtPHFM2-uASI6YuQAQ

• Like 1

The main painting done and I've added some tread to the smooth tyres...

I got another good idea from Nobby's Javelin, and that was to use tape to make tyre treads for the Airfix kit's smooth tyres. The red tape I used is packaging tape used for sealing plastic bags, cut into thin strips, placed around the tyre and a light coat of liquid cement for luck.

P1100315_zpsxaapjgey.jpg

the wheels still need a bit of touching up, but they'll do:

P1100319_zps3fwudyrp.jpg

This one's taken a fair amount of masking thanks to the walk-ways, camo wrap-round on leading edges, and the air intake lips and aluminium interiors:

P1100311_zpswjagrogx.jpg

P1100313_zpskuss1xa5.jpg

The undersides have yet to get a shadow-wash and weathering.

P1100312_zpskris6sqh.jpg

• Like 11